Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 105,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,425
    Points
    105,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5

    Big Four Tournament?

    Dannen: UNI hoops future with Iowa, Iowa State cloudy: Big Four event coming? | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

    If we do this, do it right. 3 games in 3 days for each team. A round-robin over the second weekend in December with the winner getting a trophy. Slap a Hy-Vee sponsor on it and call it good.

    Friday Night
    ISU vs Drake
    Iowa vs UNI

    Saturday Night
    ISU vs UNI
    Iowa vs Drake

    Sunday Night
    ISU vs Iowa
    UNI vs Drake (can count as a conference game)



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 38,418, Level: 60
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    acrozier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In van down by the river!
    Posts
    2,598
    Points
    38,418
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    I think you drop the conference game on Sunday. No way UNI or Drake will agree to play a conference game that early in the year.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 188,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,639
    Points
    188,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    I doubt playing all 3 teams will happen. It doesnt the iowa-ISU game will be apart of this.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 284,636, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    14,092
    Points
    284,636
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 2,244

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    It would be a travesty if these series did not continue. UNI has demonstrated that they belong playing with their instate rivals and should continue to get the chance.

    Playing double headers in The Well would be a huge boon for Drake and UNI because there would sure to be plenty of Iowa and Iowa State fans that would cheer against the other.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 73,171, Level: 84
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,679
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,019
    Points
    73,171
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    one day double header in des moines on a saturday afternoon. iowa and isu each against either drake or uni. iowa and isu keep the home-home. frees up a home game and no more crappy road games against uni or drake.



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Dannen: UNI hoops future with Iowa, Iowa State cloudy: Big Four event coming? | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

    If we do this, do it right. 3 games in 3 days for each team. A round-robin over the second weekend in December with the winner getting a trophy. Slap a Hy-Vee sponsor on it and call it good.

    Friday Night
    ISU vs Drake
    Iowa vs UNI

    Saturday Night
    ISU vs UNI
    Iowa vs Drake

    Sunday Night
    ISU vs Iowa
    UNI vs Drake (can count as a conference game)

    I like your format better than a two day tournament.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 134,688, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    joefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    6,483
    Points
    134,688
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 332

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    It would be a travesty if these series did not continue. UNI has demonstrated that they belong playing with their instate rivals and should continue to get the chance.

    Playing double headers in The Well would be a huge boon for Drake and UNI because there would sure to be plenty of Iowa and Iowa State fans that would cheer against the other.
    No, it wouldn't. UNI can fend for itself. It is ridiculous for Iowa and ISU to continue to play road games at UNI and Drake. They want to play with the big boys? Come to our arenas and get it on. By travelling to Drake and UNI, Iowa and ISU are doing tremendous favors for those schools, and getting, what, in return, exactly? Home cooking refereeing, that is for sure.

    Continuing the series is fine, but not playing at their arenas. Nobody else, anywhere, does that, why the heck should we?


    "Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 869,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,481
    Points
    869,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 1,800

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    It's been posted here over and over than plenty of big-time BCS programs, including North Carolina, schedule this sort of game on the road.

    Keep it just as it is. If you're scared of the competition, what's the point of athletics?


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 86,687, Level: 91
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,586
    Points
    86,687
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    I'm ready to drop UNI or reduce the frequency of playing them.

    We win - really no plus to our Dance resume. It's just a W.

    We lose - big black mark on resume.

    Since it's an in-state game you can usually throw records out the window and know it'll be a close game. I'd rather replace them with a more sure W against another squad.

    Yes, they are a quality opponent but EVEN IF we start beating them again regularly we aren't gaining much.


    Fanatic #25

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 869,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,481
    Points
    869,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 1,800

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    I'm ready to drop UNI or reduce the frequency of playing them.

    We win - really no plus to our Dance resume. It's just a W.

    We lose - big black mark on resume.

    Since it's an in-state game you can usually throw records out the window and know it'll be a close game. I'd rather replace them with a more sure W against another squad.

    Yes, they are a quality opponent but EVEN IF we start beating them again regularly we aren't gaining much.
    They're one of the only quality noncon opponents we play.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 211,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,740
    Points
    211,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 363

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by dbqhawk1952 View Post
    I like your format better than a two day tournament.
    And really, even if UNI and Drake didn't want to play a conference game that early, you could just have the ISU-Iowa game as the "main event" on Sunday and it would be fine.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    There is no (good) reason to drop the series completely, but running a double-header at Wells Fargo sounds like a very good option. You can either have the two-day 'in-state tournament' or at worst you have the single day double-header and play Drake/UNI opposite years. There is no reason to get rid of these match-ups, these are quality non-conference games which both teams really lack in their non-conference schedules as of late. Say you do get rid of them, who replaces them, another PV A&M? Both Iowa's and Iowa State's non-conf SOS is terrible, why get rid of decent in-state teams to replace with even worse non-conf?



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    And really, even if UNI and Drake didn't want to play a conference game that early, you could just have the ISU-Iowa game as the "main event" on Sunday and it would be fine.
    I don't think we'd include that on the end of back-to-back days of playing already. That can be a match-up on its' own a few days or a week later...



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 86,687, Level: 91
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,586
    Points
    86,687
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    They're one of the only quality noncon opponents we play.
    I agree...I'd just rather find another quality non con opponent.


    Fanatic #25

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 869,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,481
    Points
    869,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 1,800

    Re: Big Four Tournament?

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    There is no (good) reason to drop the series completely, but running a double-header at Wells Fargo sounds like a very good option. You can either have the two-day 'in-state tournament' or at worst you have the single day double-header and play Drake/UNI opposite years. There is no reason to get rid of these match-ups, these are quality non-conference games which both teams really lack in their non-conference schedules as of late. Say you do get rid of them, who replaces them, another PV A&M? Both Iowa's and Iowa State's non-conf SOS is terrible, why get rid of decent in-state teams to replace with even worse non-conf?
    I guess we could argue that there's nowhere down for our noncon schedule to go, since we play the weakest one in the Big 12. Like you're saying, that doesn't exactly help us.

    I think the best solution is simply to play better and win those games, at home and on the road.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM