Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 41

Perspective on wrestling team

Lately there has been a lot of grumbling about the wrestling team's lack of success this year. But there is no such thing as a "quick fix" in wrestling. Consider:

1. April 2009 - Cael leaves ISU and takes the 2009 ISU recruiting class with him.

2. ISU hires KJ. KJ is not coming from another college wrestling position, so he does not have any of his own recruits to bring with him. An entire recruiting class if effectively wiped out.

3. Fall 2009 - KJ signs his first recruiting class after 6-7 months on the job - the class of 2010. This class redshirts in 2010-2011 and are freshmen this year - 2011-2012.

4. Fall 2010 - KJ signs his next recruiting class, and the first one for which he has had more than a few months on the recruiting trail. This class is currently redshirting and will not see the mat until 2012-2013.

5. Etc.

The point is, the red-shirt year that everyone takes in wrestling makes it very difficult to have any quick fixes. While this is KJ's third year as ISU's coach, it is effectively "year one" as this is the first year that any of his recruits have seen the mat. They might take some lumps this year, but hopefully that will make them stronger down the road while we continue to improve recruiting and increase depth.

ISU didn't have this problem during the Douglas-Cael transition for obvious reasons. Iowa didn't have this problem during the Zalesky-Brands transition because none of the Iowa kids followed Zalesky to OSU, and Brands was able to bring all his VT blue-chippers with him to Iowa.

I'm sure Pollard was aware of this issue during the coaching search but ultimately felt that KJ was the best long-term solution.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 369

Re: Perspective on wrestling team

This also brings up a point that is becoming painfully obvious this season - that loss has meant no upperclassmen at the lower weights to beat on the freshman. We're seeing the result of that as our lower weights get beat on counters and re-shots, since they didn't have to pay for a lack of chain wrestling all through a redshirt year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Hope we do not go winless in duals this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Hope we do not go winless in duals this year.
    Should get UNI, Arizona State, and possibly Virginia Tech.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of grumbling about the wrestling team's lack of success this year. But there is no such thing as a "quick fix" in wrestling. Consider:

1. April 2009 - Cael leaves ISU and takes the 2009 ISU recruiting class with him.

2. ISU hires KJ. KJ is not coming from another college wrestling position, so he does not have any of his own recruits to bring with him. An entire recruiting class if effectively wiped out.

3. Fall 2009 - KJ signs his first recruiting class after 6-7 months on the job - the class of 2010. This class redshirts in 2010-2011 and are freshmen this year - 2011-2012.

4. Fall 2010 - KJ signs his next recruiting class, and the first one for which he has had more than a few months on the recruiting trail. This class is currently redshirting and will not see the mat until 2012-2013.

5. Etc.

The point is, the red-shirt year that everyone takes in wrestling makes it very difficult to have any quick fixes. While this is KJ's third year as ISU's coach, it is effectively "year one" as this is the first year that any of his recruits have seen the mat. They might take some lumps this year, but hopefully that will make them stronger down the road while we continue to improve recruiting and increase depth.

ISU didn't have this problem during the Douglas-Cael transition for obvious reasons. Iowa didn't have this problem during the Zalesky-Brands transition because none of the Iowa kids followed Zalesky to OSU, and Brands was able to bring all his VT blue-chippers with him to Iowa.

I'm sure Pollard was aware of this issue during the coaching search but ultimately felt that KJ was the best long-term solution.

I agree. And with the recruiting class we appear to be looking at for next year, we'd be absolute idiots to change coaches once again. We could lose that class and the next one. Makes no sense at all. I haven't agree with everything KJ has done, but then I'm not in the room with him, and I don't have all the facts, I am sure. But I bet he wishes he had not brought Gadsen back so early.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

The only thing that concerns me right now is his classes lack a lot of blue chippers. Look at Iowas latest class. They didn't have a ton of money, but got three top 25 guys, and 4 in the top 40.

KJs current RS class has Tanner Weatherman, and no one else. He was not able to get any top 50 guys in the lower weights after he lost Pena, and that is where we need them. He is building the program, but the pace may be far to slow.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 82

I think in last years class, KJ was looking for numbers/depth. He got that , but you are right, no blue chippers. Having said that, I think he was looking for diamonds in the rough and might have a couple of them in Logan Molina and Shayden Terukina.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 82

My weight by weight look at the team

125 - Finch - but not much else of D1 ready material on roster
    Larson will help provide depth and hope to be ready to man spot as a RS Jr
    133 - Terukina, Cash, Jones - none quite ready to be competitive for D1. Maybe will still develop and be good as a junior/senior. (Still young and none ranked high out of high school)
    141 - Goettl and Mayfield - I really think Max will be more competitve than Luke if we can get him healthy and on the mat. Meeks and Bauer will fill 133 and 141, just not sure about as true frosh
    149 - Cozart and Weatherman - Cozart has no offense, its frustrating. Weatherman's neck could be a problem for a while. McCauley will be good here next year and Gabe Moreno can redshirt.
    157 - Mike Moreno - I still expect more from him, hope he continues to improve. Not sure if he can stay at 157 next year or go to 165.
    165 - Sorenson - no problem this year, don't need injuries. Logan Molina is an option year next year if Tyler Caldwell doesn't sign. Moreno moving up is also a option
    174 - Spangler, England, and Tanner Weatherman - lots of options here and Tanner could end up at 184 if need be.
    184 - Beard - RS Soph - Should hold spot until graduates -
    197 - Need to committ to Cole being a 197 pounder, Not sure where Jesse Doyle will go, if its 184 or 197.
    Hwt - Gibson - I will always worry about grades and other issues. Hope Quean shows up in Jan. Swope not ready for D1 yet. Not sure what to expect from Simonson, if anything.