Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Charter Buses?

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Charter Buses?

    I think it would be great idea for ISU to have a charter bus for students to go. Greyhound has $311 round trip tickets from Des Moines to NYC. Maybe Windstar (They take the football team I believe) could make a deal with ISU and make it a little cheaper for students. Package deal could include ride there and a stay in a hotel. Could be well under $600. We don't need the extra perks, just want to be at the game. Could get a lot of students there which would make us look better and beat KSU's ticket sales of 3200.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 171,601, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyguytillidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    10,415
    Points
    171,601
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 95

    Re: Charter Buses?

    They need to do something.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 114,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,899
    Points
    114,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 69

    Re: Charter Buses?

    My dad drives for Windstar...I'll see what I can do. (Lol I'll ask but he's a part time driver so has no pull whatsoever lol)



  4. #4
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    creightonclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    682
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    I think it would be great idea for ISU to have a charter bus for students to go. Greyhound has $311 round trip tickets from Des Moines to NYC. Maybe Windstar (They take the football team I believe) could make a deal with ISU and make it a little cheaper for students. Package deal could include ride there and a stay in a hotel. Could be well under $600. We don't need the extra perks, just want to be at the game. Could get a lot of students there which would make us look better and beat KSU's ticket sales of 3200.
    Students? How about just fans in general...



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by creightonclone View Post
    Students? How about just fans in general...
    That works too...



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 432,968, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,832
    Points
    432,968
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Want cheap? Pack 3 of your friends into a car and drive. Less than $100 gas each. Split hotel rooms 4 ways so you're only covering $40ish/night or less if you plan well. Get the $45 tickets. Can easily be done under $400 if you don't eat extravagantly.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 114,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,899
    Points
    114,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 69

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Chris...you should put together a Cyclone Fanatic bus trip. Good advertising for you and you guys could make a few bucks in the process. Somebody needs to do this! Find a need and fill it right? I'd be up for staying the night before or something then going back after the game so we get back before NYE.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    I think it would be great idea for ISU to have a charter bus for students to go. Greyhound has $311 round trip tickets from Des Moines to NYC. Maybe Windstar (They take the football team I believe) could make a deal with ISU and make it a little cheaper for students. Package deal could include ride there and a stay in a hotel. Could be well under $600. We don't need the extra perks, just want to be at the game. Could get a lot of students there which would make us look better and beat KSU's ticket sales of 3200.
    Send JP an email jbp@iastate.edu and suggest it.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 203,950, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,744
    Points
    203,950
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 32

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Want cheap? Pack 3 of your friends into a car and drive. Less than $100 gas each. Split hotel rooms 4 ways so you're only covering $40ish/night or less if you plan well. Get the $45 tickets. Can easily be done under $400 if you don't eat extravagantly.
    I have done some calculations for mileage and assuming 2400 miles and 28 mpg calculate to 85.7 gallons. The current national average is $3.43 per gallon, but if you figure $3.5 that comes to $300 in gas. I found hotel rooms for $120+tax in NJ for 3 nights. So

    $75 for gas
    $120 for 3 nights of hotel (threw in $40 a night in taxes)
    $45 for ticket
    Total of $240 for everything except food and alcohol. I think you could easily do under $400 and really probably could do under $300 if you everyone chips in and buys food and beer together.

    I think the only problem would be the 20 hour drive but with 4 people you could take shifts and drive straight through.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 19,574, Level: 42
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kcclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,706
    Points
    19,574
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: Charter Buses?

    not to be a buzzkill but i remember last year someone went through all the work of setting this up. When it came time to sign up not enough people did so it didnt work out



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 432,968, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,832
    Points
    432,968
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    I have done some calculations for mileage and assuming 2400 miles and 28 mpg calculate to 85.7 gallons. The current national average is $3.43 per gallon, but if you figure $3.5 that comes to $300 in gas. I found hotel rooms for $120+tax in NJ for 3 nights. So

    $75 for gas
    $120 for 3 nights of hotel (threw in $40 a night in taxes)
    $45 for ticket
    Total of $240 for everything except food and alcohol. I think you could easily do under $400 and really probably could do under $300 if you everyone chips in and buys food and beer together.

    I think the only problem would be the 20 hour drive but with 4 people you could take shifts and drive straight through.
    and if you stay 3-4 hours outside NYC in Pennsylvania you can easily do cheaper than the $120.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 203,950, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,744
    Points
    203,950
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 32

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    and if you stay 3-4 hours outside NYC in Pennsylvania you can easily do cheaper than the $120.
    Yeah and that would keep you away from the NYC bars which are probably a lot more also.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 453,368, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    19,153
    Points
    453,368
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 899
    Given: 2,305

    Re: Charter Buses?

    If a bus trip becomes a realistic idea I would be seriously interested.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 452,425, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,689
    Points
    452,425
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 35

    Re: Charter Buses?

    You want to sit in a bus all the way to NYC?

    I just did a quick look on delta, and the price to fly there is $435. And you are there in 4.5 hrs.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  15. #15
    Walk On
    Points: 9,545, Level: 29
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    East of Omaha
    Posts
    193
    Points
    9,545
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Charter Buses?

    Call me crazy -but what about having some donors help "sponsor". I can't make it, but I think I could pitch in to the cause to help get ISU students to the game. Wonder if there are others out there that would be interested in helping in this way -that can't make the trip???


    Last edited by BurgundyClone; 12-05-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM