Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Post Another Day of Upsets and Upsetting Excuses

CycloneFanatic.com
    Jeremy Lind

Saturday was a day filled with excitement, upsets and frustration throughout all of college football. With many of the top teams losing to unranked opponents, it was one of the most upset filled Saturdays of the past few years. Besides the upsets on the field, there were a few upsetting moments off the field as well.

In college athletics, losses are often embellished with excuses by the fans but sometimes you see the players and coaches themselves trying to pass the buck instead of taking ownership for their faults. It’s a trend that’s becoming far too commonplace in the era of over-hyped expectations with 24/7 media coverage. Often times the only thing separating two teams is the way they handle success, or the lack there of. What makes a team’s losses respectable and wins memorable often time comes in the 24 hours after the game rather than during the 60 minutes of actual playing time.

There are fundamental problems in college athletics that many fans and experts try to gloss over. With salaries reaching astronomical levels and expectations far exceeding realistic possibilities, it’s time some take a step back and re-evaluate the reason the youngsters should be stepping onto the field in the first place.

If you ask most college athletes why they play the sport; they’ll tell you because they love what they’re doing and they love the competition. Increasingly though, too many simply want the money and/or fame of going pro. For far too many it’s no longer about the education and school-pride but rather the 24/7 focus on recruiting and money that drives the youth of today towards college athletics. With this transition towards ego-centric players comes a few glaring changes in the pre and post game aspects of the sport, its media coverage and the fan reactions towards everything that happens on and off the field. Instead of fans just enjoying the game, they’re often times resorting to new means by which to justify their over-hyped teams and over-paid coaches not performing.

Take this past weekend for instance; Iowa State played a respectable first quarter again Nebraska before making several big mistakes that ended up costing a chance at a key victory. On the other side of the state, Iowa played an ugly game against a perennial Big Ten bottom-feeder, Indiana, for homecoming. It’s not the games themselves that caused me to write this article though.

It wasn’t the losses that separate the two in-state teams this weekend but rather the media coverage and fan reaction in the hours after the losses that show what program has classy fans that understand the struggles that sometimes come with being a school without a huge football tradition and which one needs to re-evaluate their self-proclaimed eliteness and the respect they should show for the institution that is college athletics.

Iowa State came out after the Nebraska game talking about the need to stop beating themselves and to keep improving every weekend. The fans were disappointed in the loss but overall stated the pleasure of seeing progress on and off the field. I’m sure there were a couple fans looking for excuses but most were just happy to be making strides in the right direction. The fans acknowledged the need for consistent play and had relatively respectable and constructive comments towards the team and coaching staff. Despite having lost another game because of mistakes, the fans and players understood the growth that was evident throughout the game.

On the other hand, Iowa came out after their game in self-pitty for having lost their 7th straight conference game and for having gotten dominated by a “lesser” opponent at home. While one could understand the disappointment of losing at home to Indiana, one has to take note of the fan comments about Indiana having more to play for and more to prove. Instead of pointing out their lack of offensive productivity and defensive fortitude, they again relied on the all-too-familiar excuse of the other team having more to play for and coming out with more fire and energy.

After losing 7 of the past 10 in-state rivalry games to Iowa State, Hawkeye fans have resorted to using the excuse that since they’re supposedly a perennial power, it’s easier for their opponents to get mentally prepared for the matchups and have even called several games their opponents’ “Super Bowls”. Now besides missing the obvious point that Iowa should be the team getting tired of losing to their in-state brother and hence having more to play for, the fans are also starting to extend that excuse to other opponents that probably couldn’t care less about Iowa’s self-proclaimed history of college football dominance. Even referring to themselves as the dominant “Big Ten Bullies”, Iowa fans are obviously high on something other than success.

Now for the sake of this article, we’ll forget the fact that being mentally prepared for a game and having the fire and energy on the field is part of what makes a team good or bad. We’ll pretend that isn’t a part of the equation that makes a team or coaching staff worthy of their ranking or salary. We’ll side-step the logic that a team is only as good as their record, despite the excuse that it’s hard to get ready for games that aren’t against Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin. We won’t get into the fact that all of the actual perennial powers don’t make those same childish excuses.

While most fans in the state of Iowa understand there’ll be ups and downs in both programs, there are those on both sides that find the need to make endless excuses rather than discuss the real problems the teams are facing. Its one thing for the fans to make an occasional excuse but it’s becoming an all-too-familiar tradition in all of college athletics, not only for the fans but increasingly for the players and coaching staffs themselves. Luckily the Iowa coaching staff is fairly humble, otherwise it could get incredibly ugly in Iowa City if the players started talking like the fans. Maybe that’s why there’s a self-imposed media embargo on talking to the younger Hawkeye players?

I guess what I’m trying to say through all of this is that it’s time fans remembered that most of the kids on the field are playing their heart out every single play of every single game and it’s ridiculous to make endless excuses when things don’t go the way we want. Every game on the schedule means something and to try and say that you’re deserving of anything other than the final score is stupid and nieve. To say that having lost 7 of the past 10 games to your in-state rival comes down to the “better team” not having enough to play for is ludicrous. That’s like saying the lotto isn’t worth winning at $25 million but is at $30 million. I sure hope none of the fans that make that excuse are in the business world or they’ll be closing shop pretty quickly.

College football is an amazingly fun and entertaining sport but it’s time the fans, the players and the coaches snap back to the reality that it’s a game of strategy as much as it is talent. Making excuses is an age-old tradition but after a while, everybody’s going to stop taking what you say seriously and you’re going to lose any credibility you may have.

Take a certain major in-state newspaper for example, they’ve become known as the unofficial paper of the Iowa Hawkeyes because of the endless repeating of excuses they print when Iowa doesn’t win and for the blatant disregard for anything Iowa State achieves. When fans make excuses it’s bad enough but when a supposedly unbiased news organization does the same thing, they lose all credibility in everything they report. In a way it’s much the same as politics; when a news organization endorses a candidate for an election, they lose their credibility of fairly and accurately reporting on all of the other candidates. Much is the same for fans and the debate that ensues after wins or losses of any magnitude.

So to the fans, players, coaches and media figures that are involved in any way with college athletics; grow up or shut up! The kids on the field deserve more than stupid excuses. Most of the players that I talk to understand that they’re accountable for what happens on and off the field and that excuses aren’t only a waste of time, but often times counter-productive.

Last edited by Jeremy; 09-30-2007 at 02:54 PM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 64

Re: Another Day of Upsets and Upsetting Excuses

and it all comes back to the Hawks again. No wonder we can't shake the Super Bowl mentality.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Well people need to stop thinking that we can't mention the Hawks or else it'll prove them wrong. They're our biggest competition for recruits, fans and donations so yes we can compare and contrast ourselves with them. That's my other pet pieve besides their arrogance is the mentality that if we say anything about them we're traitors.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 642
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

As one of my former bosses used to say

"I want results, not excuses!!!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Well stated. Jeremy, For Cyclone fans, we have to understand we must have patience.
    1. Our coaching staff has never done this. That's no excuse, just a fact. It takes time to get a system of working together, working with players and calling a game. We are seeing the coaches get better every game.
    2. Our players had to learn new offense and defense. Throw out some of the things they learned in another system, and adapt to a new personalities
    3. Our fans have to understand the need for more depth in our player personal. This does not mean our current players aren't good, we just need more of them. And faster and bigger all the time. Our depth is poor, but it will get better.
    I feel sorry for Iowa's program. The only way fans there will be happy is to go to a major bowl, and nothing less. We have friends with a son playing there. It's tough on those players to get booed by their own fans every home game. But that is the Iowa culture, and it's not going to change.
    I too will take Iowa State fans. Let's not go down the Iowa road...that's why I went to Iowa State in the first place. I grew up a Hawkeye fan. No longer.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Indiana must've won their Super Bowl yesterday.

We can't pretend Iowa doesn't exist, because they will always contend with us for recruits, especially in the Midwest, which makes the performance of each program important.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 261

We will march heads held high into the second half of the season. We will ignore all naysayers and know in our hearts we are doing as well as we can. We will be proud of our band and cheerleaders and mascot and be glad that Gene gives us hope unlike Kirk.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

What I do like is that Iowa is not reacting to what we do. The big deal to Ferentz was a reaction, talk of cancelling the football series, dumping Alford again a reaction in my view. They are now looking west towards Ames, and that's not comfortable for them. Moo-U is mooing more loudly all the time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Well people need to stop thinking that we can't mention the Hawks or else it'll prove them wrong. They're our biggest competition for recruits, fans and donations so yes we can compare and contrast ourselves with them. That's my other pet pieve besides their arrogance is the mentality that if we say anything about them we're traitors.
    IMO - and this is my opinion - mentioning them is one thing, but comparing every game to Iowa, every situation, looks obsessive.

This article wasn't that IMO - but there is a fine line.

It goes both ways - there are Iowa fans that are obsessed with seeing ISU do bad, and they act all "arrogant" and what not. I guess the thing that annoys me are comments like "Hey, at least we're not arrogant Iowa fans" and "besides their arrogance..."

It gets really old that people group an entire fan base into one - when in reality it's a vocal minority. "Arrogant Iowa fans" is the same thing as "Little brother ISU fans"

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 322

After seeing the way things are progressing, I kind of wish Meyer had at least one more season of eligibility left. The guy is showing progress week in and week out. Sure, he's making freshman and sophomore mistakes and that interception total is starting to pile up, but the improvement I've seen in these 5 weeks is pretty good. I mean, the guy is checking down for goodness sakes! I fear the past coaching staff may have ruined what career he may have had after college...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    After seeing the way things are progressing, I kind of wish Meyer had at least one more season of eligibility left. The guy is showing progress week in and week out. Sure, he's making freshman and sophomore mistakes and that interception total is starting to pile up, but the improvement I've seen in these 5 weeks is pretty good. I mean, the guy is checking down for goodness sakes! I fear the past coaching staff may have ruined what career he may have had after college...
    I feel the exact same way. Bret has improved on the little things more in 5 weeks than he did in the last 2 years. He's checking down and has been a lot better about not locking onto one WR. It's amazing when you think about it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Who cares about the Hawks?? Nicely written article but seriously...they just got stomped by Indiana at Home...remember when we got beat by Baylor at home a few years ago...we were ******** and moaning like crazy...just like the OU fans are probably doing about the loss at CU. Thats what we do as fans when we lose...complain and vent...all of us knew we didnt have a great chance to win yesterday going in, but i imagine the Iowa fans figured they could take care of IU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by timjans View Post
    Who cares about the Hawks?? Nicely written article but seriously...they just got stomped by Indiana at Home...remember when we got beat by Baylor at home a few years ago...we were ******** and moaning like crazy...just like the OU fans are probably doing about the loss at CU. Thats what we do as fans when we lose...complain and vent...all of us knew we didnt have a great chance to win yesterday going in, but i imagine the Iowa fans figured they could take care of IU.
    Rep times a million.

If a fan base stops caring and "making excuses", then they have problems.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I understand when people say stuff about Iowa or UNI or any other in-state school, but it is bad when earlier today half the threads on the board had "Iowa" in the title. It is fine to keep track of teams, but it has been a little ridiculous lately.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by timc243 View Post
    I understand when people say stuff about Iowa or UNI or any other in-state school, but it is bad when earlier today half the threads on the board had "Iowa" in the title. It is fine to keep track of teams, but it has been a little ridiculous lately.
    Do me one request. Click on ISU Football on the left column. The top 20 threads have nothing to do with Iowa.
    If you are talking about the In-State rivalry forum, what else is to be in that?

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.