Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Printer Ink Cartridges

Remanufactured printer ink cartridges cost considerably less than purchasing new. What are the disadvantages and what is the overall recomendation?

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 877

Re: Printer Ink Cartridges

Get a laser printer. A monochrome HP will run you less than $200 and a low end color laser printer can be had for around $400. Cartridges are more expensive to purchase than ink, but last _much_ longer.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I already own a printer, a hp deskjet 6122 and need to replace the ink cartridges. Should i go with new or remanufactured cartridges?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Never tried it, but give it a whirl. What is the worst that could happen? It does not work as long?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

I find those re manufactured ones are kinda hit and miss. I used to use them then we got 2 or 3 bad ones in a row. Where they were full but had been messed up in the refilling stage. And they will give you a new one if you take it back, but having to take them back is a hassle.
    Like others have said go with a laser printer, but if you go color some of them use something like 4 cartridges and some are like $150 per, can be pricey to refill but over time you do save money.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    I find those re manufactured ones are kinda hit and miss. I used to use them then we got 2 or 3 bad ones in a row. Where they were full but had been messed up in the refilling stage. And they will give you a new one if you take it back, but having to take them back is a hassle.
    Like others have said go with a laser printer, but if you go color some of them use something like 4 cartridges and some are like $150 per, can be pricey to refill but over time you do save money.
    Yeah, definitely. The ink is the same, but the process of refurbishment is far from perfect, and the percentage of good cartridges is typically well lower than normal.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Cyclone42

Printers cost less than cartridges

That's the weird thing. Go to any place that sells brand-new name-brand ink cartridges. You'll easily pay $20+ for a black cartridge, $30+ for a color cartridge. But you can find brand-new color printers for as little as $30, sometimes even less than that. So there is NO downside to experimentation. What's the very worst you can do? Destroy the printer? Get a brand-new one, big deal. But the real likelihood of destroying the printer is very remote.

My best advise, if you have a bit of money, is to buy a printer with separate ink cartridges, one without the 3 (or 4) colored inks in one cartridge like with most printers. That makes it easier to unclog the nozzles, which is the most likely thing to happen with cheap re-manufactured or refilled ink.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the response. I don't live anywhere near where I can physically return the cartridges so I think I will purchase new.

I have a laser printer at work. For volume printing I can use the work printer.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

We high volume print at our work, and our research shows that by the time the ink is out, more than half the time, other parts of the cartridge are shot, too. YMMV, but I don't think the $$$ work out on remanufacturing cartridges.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Just buy a new duplicate printer everytime. Helps the environment for the Chinese.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I've been using recycled ink cartridge and so far I haven't got any problems with it... maybe you should just check on the quality..
    _________
    compatible ink cartridges

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I'm not a fan of remanufactured ink or toner cartridges because in the long run they do more harm than good I think. We've had a bad run before here at work with the remanufactured toner cartridges leaking all over the place inside the printer and ultimately you wind up having to pay to replace the fuser or other parts that got ruined from the leaks.

Like TykeClone said, start shopping around for laser printers. Toner does not dry up like ink will if you don't use it and the print quality is much better. Will save you a ton of money in the long run even though you will have to pay a few hundred up front. Even looking at good used printers on ebay is not a bad thing. I bought a small monochrome Lexmark laser printer in 2002 for $50, bought a $100 new toner cartridge for it and have not replaced the toner in it yet. Granted I don't do a ton of printing either but I can bet I would have spent hundreds of dollars by now replacing ink cartridges had I bought an inkjet printer.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

I am yet to find a bad recycled one. Guess it depends on the seller. They are so much cheaper though. Not sure if I would do it for business use, but for home based doc printing its fine.

Prospect
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Check out Cartridge World. Des Moines has two of them. West Glenn and 86th Street. I buy my personal ink there and our business buys its ink through them because they pick up and deliver the ink/toner for free! (for businesses at least)
    Price is about HALF of new. Quality is excellent. Sometimes there is problems with a cartridge, but they will come bring you a new one if that happens and we always keep a spare on hand just in case.
    There are more advantages than disadvantages.
    They actually fill them at the stores, unlike Walgreens or some of the others.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I bought Office Depot brand ink cartridges once and my printer was worthless within a few weeks.

Coincidence? I don't think so - but who knows. Printer wasn't THAT old. Personnally, I think they aren't manufactured as well and the ink is more apt to clog the ink jets.

FWIW, I buy less expensive printers. If you keep an eye out, you can literally get entire printers WITH cartridges for LESS than the cost to replace the cartridges. Of course, I don't require much of my printer. Simple receipts, maps, word docs etc. But I currently have a Epson C88+ and it prints better photos than the Walgreens down the street.