Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,032, Level: 34
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    333
    Points
    13,032
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

    Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Saw some great efforts, even if we lost the match, like Finch and Cozart. Terukina may have wrestled the best match i have seen from him, even though he got pinned. Liked what I saw in Beard too, but he seemed to run out of gas in the third.

    Thought Iowa was in better condition. Some of our guys looked gassed by the third round. Some may be due to injury, but not all. Didn't think I'd ever see that in a Cyclone team.

    Got to give Iowa wrestlers credit. They fight hard, they did a better job of riding than our guys, and of escaping. I'd love to see the stats on that.

    Best move of the afternoon was Shafer's takedown of Lira. That was worth the price of admission.

    KJ has to be worried about the interest in the program. Not a very big crowd for an Iowa-Iowa State tilt. And Iowa fans didn't outnumber us, but they were very well represented.

    Very disappointed in the problems with the clock. That made us look bush. But otherwise, I liked the whole atmosphere thing at the start.

    I came away today thinking that with a few more good recruiting years, we'll be back. I saw the makings of a pretty good team of the future today.



  2. #2
    Prospect
    Points: 3,312, Level: 16
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    Points
    3,312
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    I thought we were really close to making some more noise in some of those matches. We just need to get over the hump.

    I agree with you that the crowd was dismal considering the opponent. And the clock issues were bush league.



  3. #3
    Prospect
    Points: 1,082, Level: 8
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24
    Points
    1,082
    Level
    8
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    I see a young team with a lot of good talent, with more mat time and exsprience ISU will be back on top. Considering how young the team is and who they wrestle, the #1 ranked team. ISU did not look so bad, I think KJ is on the right track and they will be back!



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 261,330, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    261,330
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    What was up with the clock thing? I have never seen (or heard, I guess, I couldn't watch the meet) anything like that before. How could they not have figured out that Iowa was going to ride the kid thinking that it would take away the RT and push OT? Doesn't make sense. Was there ever an explanation to the whole thing?


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 20,314, Level: 43
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    893
    Points
    20,314
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    What was up with the clock thing? I have never seen (or heard, I guess, I couldn't watch the meet) anything like that before. How could they not have figured out that Iowa was going to ride the kid thinking that it would take away the RT and push OT? Doesn't make sense. Was there ever an explanation to the whole thing?
    Other than a little home mat advantage the only thing I can think of is that the clock for keeping the match time ticks down after the second expires (ie. the period is over when clock goes from 0:01 to 0:00). When the clock read 0:13 and the riding time showed 1:12 (or whatever it was) it really meant that the period had something like 12.6 seconds left and the riding time was 1:12.8 seconds. Thus at the end of the period there was still 1:00.2 seconds of riding time.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 42,147, Level: 63
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,611
    Points
    42,147
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 11

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    Saw some great efforts, even if we lost the match, like Finch and Cozart. Terukina may have wrestled the best match i have seen from him, even though he got pinned. Liked what I saw in Beard too, but he seemed to run out of gas in the third.

    Thought Iowa was in better condition. Some of our guys looked gassed by the third round. Some may be due to injury, but not all. Didn't think I'd ever see that in a Cyclone team.

    Got to give Iowa wrestlers credit. They fight hard, they did a better job of riding than our guys, and of escaping. I'd love to see the stats on that.

    Best move of the afternoon was Shafer's takedown of Lira. That was worth the price of admission.

    KJ has to be worried about the interest in the program. Not a very big crowd for an Iowa-Iowa State tilt. And Iowa fans didn't outnumber us, but they were very well represented.

    Very disappointed in the problems with the clock. That made us look bush. But otherwise, I liked the whole atmosphere thing at the start.

    I came away today thinking that with a few more good recruiting years, we'll be back. I saw the makings of a pretty good team of the future today.
    I can agree with most of what you said, but Cozart was the lowpoint of the dual for me yesterday. He was wrestling Iowa's backup '41 pounder and iirc he took one shot the whole match. The talent is there, but I have yet to see any urgency on his part. I've gotta think he and Goettl are the most frustrating guys for this coaching staff right now.

    We are not good on the bottom and that will be a problem if we can't get it figured out. It's not suprising given the youth of this team.

    We all knew this was going to be a tough year, and all I'll ask for is hard work and progress. Getting healthier wouldn't hurt the cause either.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 178,819, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,270
    Points
    178,819
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 62

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    Other than a little home mat advantage the only thing I can think of is that the clock for keeping the match time ticks down after the second expires (ie. the period is over when clock goes from 0:01 to 0:00). When the clock read 0:13 and the riding time showed 1:12 (or whatever it was) it really meant that the period had something like 12.6 seconds left and the riding time was 1:12.8 seconds. Thus at the end of the period there was still 1:00.2 seconds of riding time.
    I'm sure this is what happened but IMO, you need to notify the wrestler of that fact. It's not likely he would have been able to take him down in 10 seconds anyway, but he should have at least been given the opportunity.



  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,542, Level: 23
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    245
    Points
    6,542
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    Saw some great efforts, even if we lost the match, like Finch and Cozart. Terukina may have wrestled the best match i have seen from him, even though he got pinned. Liked what I saw in Beard too, but he seemed to run out of gas in the third.

    Thought Iowa was in better condition. Some of our guys looked gassed by the third round. Some may be due to injury, but not all. Didn't think I'd ever see that in a Cyclone team.

    Got to give Iowa wrestlers credit. They fight hard, they did a better job of riding than our guys, and of escaping. I'd love to see the stats on that.

    Best move of the afternoon was Shafer's takedown of Lira. That was worth the price of admission.

    KJ has to be worried about the interest in the program. Not a very big crowd for an Iowa-Iowa State tilt. And Iowa fans didn't outnumber us, but they were very well represented.

    Very disappointed in the problems with the clock. That made us look bush. But otherwise, I liked the whole atmosphere thing at the start.

    I came away today thinking that with a few more good recruiting years, we'll be back. I saw the makings of a pretty good team of the future today.
    I have been a KJ supporter from the get-go, but I came away from the watching this with the opposite reaction you did.

    Iowa basically threw their JV team out there and pounded the **** out of us. Beard looked 2 weight classes bigger than that scrub Iowa threw out there and needed a gift for the win. Gibson, Shafer, and Cozart all lost to backups.

    Unfortunately, my interest in ISU wrestling is at an all-time low. I think KJ may be able to take an elite wrestler to the next level as seen with Varner & Reader, but I just don't see the buy in from the entire team like Brands seems to get out of his guys.

    I just don't see it happening with KJ.



  9. #9
    Recruit
    Points: 5,709, Level: 22
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AllN4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,709
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    What was up with the clock thing? I have never seen (or heard, I guess, I couldn't watch the meet) anything like that before. How could they not have figured out that Iowa was going to ride the kid thinking that it would take away the RT and push OT? Doesn't make sense. Was there ever an explanation to the whole thing?

    The match clock and the riding time clock work in opposing directions by nature. This is true for every arena and every wrestling clock in the country. The match clock counts down. For example, it will show 2:00 minutes, even when the actual time is 1:59:01 hundreths of a second. Once it hits 1:59:00, the scoreboard will change to show 1:59.

    On the other hand, the riding time clock goes the opposite direction. It will show 00 seconds, even if the riding time is 0:00:59 hundreths. Once it hits 0:01:00, the scoreboard changes to show 1 second of riding time. So when counting down, when the riding time is 1:12:45, it will show 1:12 of riding time. However, when the match clock is 0:12:43, it will show 13 seconds left in the match. This is what happened yesterday. The only way to alleviate that issue would be to show the actual "hundreths" on the scoreboard. I'm not sure if that is done anywhere (I don't recall it being done).

    It is not practical for the ref to go to the scorers table every time they restart at the center to verify the actual time in hundreths, then relay that information to the wrestlers and coaches.

    It sucks for the Iowa coaches and wrestler, because their strategy was based on the riding time being eliminated, and their strategy worked (he was able to ride out). However, the result was accurate and ISU was awarded the win accurately. Also, the circus act that followed by Brands is just to be expected. Zero class. He never has had any and never will. He produces a very good team, but the extracurriculars get old.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 178,819, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,270
    Points
    178,819
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 62

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by AllN4Cy View Post
    The match clock and the riding time clock work in opposing directions by nature. This is true for every arena and every wrestling clock in the country. The match clock counts down. For example, it will show 2:00 minutes, even when the actual time is 1:59:01 hundreths of a second. Once it hits 1:59:00, the scoreboard will change to show 1:59.

    On the other hand, the riding time clock goes the opposite direction. It will show 00 seconds, even if the riding time is 0:00:59 hundreths. Once it hits 0:01:00, the scoreboard changes to show 1 second of riding time. So when counting down, when the riding time is 1:12:45, it will show 1:12 of riding time. However, when the match clock is 0:12:43, it will show 13 seconds left in the match. This is what happened yesterday. The only way to alleviate that issue would be to show the actual "hundreths" on the scoreboard. I'm not sure if that is done anywhere (I don't recall it being done).

    It is not practical for the ref to go to the scorers table every time they restart at the center to verify the actual time in hundreths, then relay that information to the wrestlers and coaches.

    It sucks for the Iowa coaches and wrestler, because their strategy was based on the riding time being eliminated, and their strategy worked (he was able to ride out). However, the result was accurate and ISU was awarded the win accurately. Also, the circus act that followed by Brands is just to be expected. Zero class. He never has had any and never will. He produces a very good team, but the extracurriculars get old.
    No it isn't, but there's no reason they couldn't have checked when the match was stopped with 13 seconds left and they knew it was close.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 27,947, Level: 51
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,308
    Points
    27,947
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 24

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    This meet went about as expected for me. State wrestled decent but just got worked. And for any Iowa wrestling fan happy with Brands and Co as there leaders is disgusting. They show zero class. For Brands to be as low as he was saying crap to Spangler after shows class to shake there hand after the match is garbage. I will take the team we have over that crap they have for head coaching anyday.



  12. #12
    Recruit
    Points: 5,709, Level: 22
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AllN4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,709
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthJerseyCy View Post
    I have been a KJ supporter from the get-go, but I came away from the watching this with the opposite reaction you did.

    Iowa basically threw their JV team out there and pounded the **** out of us. Beard looked 2 weight classes bigger than that scrub Iowa threw out there and needed a gift for the win. Gibson, Shafer, and Cozart all lost to backups.

    Unfortunately, my interest in ISU wrestling is at an all-time low. I think KJ may be able to take an elite wrestler to the next level as seen with Varner & Reader, but I just don't see the buy in from the entire team like Brands seems to get out of his guys.

    I just don't see it happening with KJ.
    That was not Iowa's JV team. McDonough, Ramos, Marion, Ballweg, St. John, Lofthouse, and Gibson are all 1st team. The others that wrestled are fighting for a spot and are even with the others at their respective weight classes.

    I was really dissappointed when almost every time ISU was in the down position, the wrestler's head was on the mat and there was very little activity. Part of that is the quality of the opponent, but there a basics that every wrestler needs to have. GET YOUR HEAD OFF THE MAT! You are taught that in kindergarten.

    I had the expectation that we would win 0 to 2 matches. Typically Iowa State loses all the toss-ups when they wrestle Iowa. So from that standpoint I was happy we had three wins, and Shafer had plenty of opportunity to win, he just gave up big points early.

    I thought Finch looked okay against a heavy favorite to win the national title. Terukina also looked promising. He got caught, but as he gets experience that won't continue to happen. Cozart needs to keep being aggressive. He had the better offense, he was just having trouble finishing. Ballweg clearly was in better shape, physical and emotional. He ran back to the center for OT. I love that. That is what is expected at Iowa and that is coaching. Hopefully Jackson took notes on that.

    I think we're young, and from what I saw hungry. I just think there is a talent gap right now. However, good recruiting for next year, and experience for these young guys should keep us improving. I will expect improvement every year from here on out. Tough to gauge how much improvement, but next year should be a big step, then incremental steps in future years. If there is another drop-off, then I'll be calling for a new coach.

    I also think Jackson could benefit from some more diversity with his coaching staff. Get some folks from other programs who have learned from other coaches. Our staff is almost entirely comprised of ISU wrestlers.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,571, Level: 67
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,521
    Points
    47,571
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    What was the brands brothers problems? Soundoff mixed together clips of KJ's and brands pressers and it sounded like brands was ******** about the refs.



  14. #14
    Recruit
    Points: 5,709, Level: 22
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AllN4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,709
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    No it isn't, but there's no reason they couldn't have checked when the match was stopped with 13 seconds left and they knew it was close.

    Well, I would say that is more the responsibility of the coach than the official. The official has enough to worry about. I'm sure Brands will check in the future if that comes up again - it is probably a situation he's never seen before.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 20,105, Level: 43
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 645
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    majorcyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,039
    Points
    20,105
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 31

    Re: Thoughts on today's dual against Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    What was the brands brothers problems? Soundoff mixed together clips of KJ's and brands pressers and it sounded like brands was ******** about the refs.
    Was it because they lost a team point? What was the reason for the team point lost? Pushing off on the ISU wrestler after losing a match?


    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM