View Poll Results: Who should start @ PG?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Christopherson

2 2.74%
  • Chris Allen

9 12.33%
  • Tyrus McGee

27 36.99%
  • Bubu Palo

35 47.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Changes have implemented now!!! Not when Big 12 play starts.

After watching yesterdays game, it is inevitable that some abrubt changes need to be implemented in order for us to win. Hoiberg continues to coach not to lose, instead of to win. He needs to play the best players for 25-33 minutes/game. Here is what needs to be addressed.

1. Ejim has done nothing all year and does not deserve to start. Look back to the game yesterday where someone set him up for a wide open 3 and he airballed it. He's shooting a measley 35% from the field and 18% from 3. He hasn't scored in the past two games. He deserves to come off the bench until he proves himself. Exhibition games don't count for anyone who comes back with that argment. Just because he started last year, doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt that he should start again. We have tons of talent and he is not one of the best 5 players on the team in my opinion.

2. Scott is not a point guard and will never succeed as our point guard. He is a catch and shoot threat, but isn't getting enough touches coming off of screens like he got last year. He isn't a starter anymore in my mind with plethora of talent we have brought in. Let's look back to the 2008 Duke team, where 3-year starter, senior, Greg Paulus, lost his starting position to sophomore, Nolan Smith. Nolan was the better play and proved it in years to come. Good coaches play the best talent and McGee is a better player than Scott. McGee needs to start to give us a chance on both ends. McGee defends better, shoots better, and doesn't turn the ball over. He was converted to PG his sophomore year so that he could play PG for us when he came to ISU. He made 115 3's last year and needs to continue to shoot. Fred needs to utilize his talent by starting him at PG. He can get us into our sets, but he is a dribble drive threat and a good passer, and TAKES CARE OF THE BALL. It may be a hard pill for those who love Scott, but he has no business starting on this team. He is not a dribble drive threat and can only dribble with his left hand for more than two dribbles. He had 3 turnovers @ Michigan and his asst/TO ratio is less than 1, which is horrendous for someone who is playing the point. He will continue to get shredded at the point until Fred injects McGee at point. We need to a "floor general" who can get us into our sets and brings the ball up every time, not 3 or 4 different point guards. We have no continuity and it continues to show because nobody knows who should bring up the ball or play point.

3. Chris Allen is not a point guard because he is avging. almost 12 shots/game and is making 4, which is bootwater. Point guards don't shoot this much. He is playing out of position as well. He needs to catch and shoot coming off of screens or take the ball to the hole. Jacking up 3s off the dribble has gotten him nowhere. Chris Allen has attempted more shots than Royce and is shooting 15% less than him from the field. I'm starting to question if he is as legit as people have made him out to be. Just because he had great players around him at Michigan State, doesn't mean he will do the same at ISU. I am not sold on him.

4. Royce must touch the ball every possession. He is our best player and he plays the best on the block. Stop allowing him to bring up the ball. If we had a "true" point guard it wouldn't ever be necessary. It's unorthodox and it's not working.

5. Gibson is raw and slacks on defense at times, but nobody is getting it done on "D" down low. He gives us presence down there and crushes the boards when he's in there. He is avging. 2.5/rebs and 3.3/pts in 7 mins/game. Lets do the math if he was starting and playing 25-30 mins/game. He'd avg. somewhere around 13 ppg and 10 rpg. He'll be a double/double machine like he was in High School if we allow him to mature. We need him in order to compete in the Big 12.

6. Bubu should come off the bench and play PG when McGee needs a break. Bubu orchestrated the offense for better players in High School than he ever will at Iowa State. I think we are forgetting that he played point with Harrison Barnes and Doug McDermott on his team. He is our 2nd best option at PG, if not our best option. He knows how to run point, knows the system, plays tremendous defense, and he can get us into our sets. He doesn't turn the ball over either. 2/1 asst/TO ratio. He needs more minutes.

Based on play thus far, this is who we need to start to have a chance to win. In moving Chris Allen to SG, I think he has more success being able to come off of screens and dribble driving from wing like he did at MSU. We have to find a way for him to get more open looks off of screens. If he is struggling from the field, then we should look at injecting Bubu @ point and moving McGee to SG. We are only "9 deep" in my opionion and nobody else should see the floor unless we are in astronomical foul trouble.

Starters:
    PG - McGee
    SG - Chris Allen
    SF - Babb
    PF - Royce
    C - Percy Gibson

1st off bench at positions:
    PG: Bubu
    SG: Scott
    SF: Ejim
    PF/C: Booker

Prospect
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Changes have implemented now!!! Not when Big 12 play starts.

Awesome first post. Iowa State needs more fan like you.

If I were you I'd stay close to your phone. I would expect a job offer from Jaime Pollard as soon as he sees this. Where were you when we was looking for a new head coach?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 110

I think Allen would be a good point guard if they could get him to stop throwing up shots.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Give Palo a shot at PG. He couldn't be any worse IMO.

I do agree that changes need to be made ASAP. What we're doing isn't working. I think that's pretty clear. This season can still be saved but time is running out. There's enough talent on this team to still make a run in the Big 12 if we found the right mix.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

Without an ACTUAL PG.... its going to all look bad.

Kinda like having Oklahoma States football offense... and playing a defensive tackle at QB.

Best option does seem to be Bubu. He is the ONLY guard we have who can take the ball to the rack

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 7

I can't decide if I like Allen at the point. He seems to have the ability to make some plays off the bounce, but I could also see him thinking that having the ball in his hands more is a license to hoist more awful shots.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by murrayse View Post
    Awesome first post. Iowa State needs more fan like you.

If I were you I'd stay close to your phone. I would expect a job offer from Jaime Pollard as soon as he sees this. Where were you when we was looking for a new head coach?

What was wrong with it? Did you get bored because it was too long? I bet it was how he used numerical facts to back up his opinion that really ruined his credibility in your eyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    What was wrong with it? Did you get bored because it was too long? I bet it was how he used numerical facts to back up his opinion that really ruined his credibility in your eyes.
    Tell em to **** off.

Im as disappointed as anyone here and it has been discussed to death is all everyone is sore about.

My vote is to bubu. Cant be any worse. At first I thought Mcgee but we need him in other aspects. Allen likes to throw the ball up to much, which would probably work aww never mind.

Something bad went wrong with this season. Hopefully its salvageable. I will keep watching but its like when we had three games to go to be bowl eligible in FB in '10 but lost to freaking Colorado. It sucks and is going nowhere, but I will still watch.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Give Palo a shot at PG. He couldn't be any worse IMO.

I do agree that changes need to be made ASAP. What we're doing isn't working. I think that's pretty clear. This season can still be saved but time is running out. There's enough talent on this team to still make a run in the Big 12 if we found the right mix.
    The season cant be saved with the losses we have and possibly will incur unless we have several QUALITY big12 ranked opponent wins. (yes I know MI was ranked its still 3 losses so far in the non con schedule

If we are on the cusp with 18-20 wins the crap losses will keep us out.

Heres to hoping UNI beats Iowa on tuesday.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

Probably one of the best first posts I've ever seen. Well written and with stats to back it up.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,791
    Given: 1,506

I agree. That's a first post that legitimately had something to say. Welcome aboard!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Good first post. Agree with most of it.

I actually think Allen can be our "point-guard-guy" but like others have said he certainly needs to demonstrate better shot selection.

Scotty needs a lot LESS minutes. 10-15 as a shooting stud off the bench. And he should be banned from trying to facilitate. How he thinks he can pull this off is beyond me.

McGee needs to play many more minutes and should start.

Melvin should sit and Percy or Booker should start in his place. Melvin showed last year in 3 games (I believe) off the bench that he can really provide a spark in that position. He's not a starter, at least at the position Fred is asking him to play.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 3

just wanted to point out that this wannabe coach's first post here was calling out Fred Hoibergs coaching style, and wanting gibson to start over booker, that is all.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    just wanted to point out that this wannabe coach's first post here was calling out Fred Hoibergs coaching style, and wanting gibson to start over booker, that is all.
    and that Mcgee should play pg, Ejim shouldn't start, and Royce should never bring the ball up the floor and act as a pg. Glad Fred has a little more creativity than you (allenj32) otherwise I don't think we would have made the dance last year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 19

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  5.4 KB