Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 140

Something that really grinds my gears

Tyrann Mathieu's nickname, Honey Badger, is really ******* stupid. Seriously, does any any say this to his face, and if do can they say it with a straight face? I just can't stand it, and think it's idiotic. Verne Lundquist referred to Mathieu as Badger and it was just ridiculously stupid. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 36

Re: Something that really grinds my gears

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    Tyrann Mathieu's nickname, Honey Badger, is really ******* stupid. Seriously, does any any say this to his face, and if do can they say it with a straight face? I just can't stand it, and think it's idiotic. Verne Lundquist referred to Mathieu as Badger and it was just ridiculously stupid. Am I the only one who feels this way?
    How'd he get the nickname? Unless there's a cool story behind it I'd agree with you that it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

The funniest thing is that Verne Lundquist, along with everyone his age, probably has no idea what that even references.

The fact this guy, Mathieu, is even being talked about for the Heisman is everything that is wrong with CFB. Luck, yes. RGIII, yes. Richardson, sure. But Kellen Moore and Case Keenum have more claim to the Heisman than some guy I really have not even heard of before the last 3 weeks of the season.

They were talking up LSU as the "best team of the BCS era". You really think there has not been a better team in CFB in the last 15 years?

I want OSU to beat their *** in the NC. Then Gundy can do a REAL dance. And, we would have beat the National Champions.

My first ISU basketball game - Fred Hoiberg was on the court.
    My first ISU football game - Paul Rhoads was on the sidelines.
    But they hadn't yet reached their full potential.

SO PROUD that things have come full circle. #cyclONEnation

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 174

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Cy View Post
    The funniest thing is that Verne Lundquist, along with everyone his age, probably has no idea what that even references.

The fact this guy, Mathieu, is even being talked about for the Heisman is everything that is wrong with CFB. Luck, yes. RGIII, yes. Richardson, sure. But Kellen Moore and Case Keenum have more claim to the Heisman than some guy I really have not even heard of before the last 3 weeks of the season.

They were talking up LSU as the "best team of the BCS era". You really think there has not been a better team in CFB in the last 15 years?

I want OSU to beat their *** in the NC. Then Gundy can do a REAL dance. And, we would have beat the National Champions.
    1. Mathieu hasn't garnered as much national attention as other possible candidates, but he really is good enough to warrant some consideration for the Heisman. He's damn good, and has proved to be a worthy heir to Patrick Peterson.

2. I don't see how a late-bloomer getting some Heisman attention is "everything that's wrong with college football". In fact, I find it refreshing, as compared to being bludgeoned with the same names all season. The fact that YOU haven't heard of him doesn't mean he does/doesn't deserve consideration.

3. You were watching an CBS broadcast. You know, the primary provider of SEC football for at least the past decade (maybe longer, but I didn't start watching til about 10 years ago)? B*tching about CBS giving perhaps undue love to an SEC team/player is like b*tching about the Longhorn Network doing the same thing for a Texas team/player.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 11

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg]The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube[/ame]

assuming his teammates just watched the video and lol'd like the rest of us and thought is would be funny to start calling him it

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Mathieu has been crazy all year. The fact that YOU haven't heard of him until now is your fault. I've been loosely following the kid and he;s a freak athlete. He's getting consideration for Heisman because he's effing nuts. Go look up some of his punt returns and tell me that isn't a sensational football player.

He got the nickname because he's always around the ball flying around the field and has no fear, like a honey badger. The honey badger became known due to the meme-like popularity of this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg]The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube[/ame]

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 343
    Given: 421

Your lack of Honey Badger knowledge "grinds my gears"

In conclusion, honey badger don't even care what you think of his nickname.

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    Mathieu has been crazy all year. The fact that YOU haven't heard of him until now is your fault. I've been loosely following the kid and he;s a freak athlete. He's getting consideration for Heisman because he's effing nuts. Go look up some of his punt returns and tell me that isn't a sensational football player.

He got the nickname because he's always around the ball flying around the field and has no fear, like a honey badger. The honey badger became known due to the meme-like popularity of this video:

The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube
    Maybe it is my fault. And I know what the Honey Badger video is - I was saying it is funny because I doubt Lundquist or guys like him on CBS know why that is his nickname.

I'm not saying he's not sensational - watching him today, I was very impressed. I guess I don't know where I stand on the Heisman sometimes (like everyone). Should it go to the best player on the best team, regardless of position, or should it go to the player that brings the most out of his team, in which case I'd make an argument for RGIII. That is part of the reason why I'm not a Heisman voter.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 140

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy
    Your lack of Honey Badger knowledge "grinds my gears"
    I know the reference, just think it's horrible nickname.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    1. Mathieu hasn't garnered as much national attention as other possible candidates, but he really is good enough to warrant some consideration for the Heisman. He's damn good, and has proved to be a worthy heir to Patrick Peterson.

2. I don't see how a late-bloomer getting some Heisman attention is "everything that's wrong with college football". In fact, I find it refreshing, as compared to being bludgeoned with the same names all season. The fact that YOU haven't heard of him doesn't mean he does/doesn't deserve consideration.

3. You were watching an CBS broadcast. You know, the primary provider of SEC football for at least the past decade (maybe longer, but I didn't start watching til about 10 years ago)? B*tching about CBS giving perhaps undue love to an SEC team/player is like b*tching about the Longhorn Network doing the same thing for a Texas team/player.
    1. I agree that he is an outstanding football player. I'm just not sure he's the most outstanding player, or even one of the top 5. But, that's up for debate and I'll admit I haven't seen him as much as I'm not a huge SEC fan. I've only watched LSU in 3-4 games this year.

2. I'm not opposed to a late-bloomer being considered, just not someone who I'm not sure fits into that top 5 category. I'm big on RGIII as I'm pretty sure Baylor would be a mediocre football team without him. He's brought them almost to the Top 10 in the country and they COULD be heading to the Cotton Bowl, or at the worst, likely the Alamo. Huge strides for an entire program...he makes his team in a way I don't think anyone else does. That is my definition of a Heisman winner BUT I can understand many other reasons as well. I just don't necessarily like it going to someone on the #1 team every year when I feel there are many other incredible players out there.

3. I didn't know propaganda was part of the CBS contract. I only wish the Big XII pushed us as much when we played a game on our networks.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

1. I agree that he is an outstanding football player. I'm just not sure he's the most outstanding player, or even one of the top 5. But, that's up for debate and I'll admit I haven't seen him as much as I'm not a huge SEC fan. I've only watched LSU in 3-4 games this year.

2. I'm not opposed to a late-bloomer being considered, just not someone who I'm not sure fits into that top 5 category. I'm big on RGIII as I'm pretty sure Baylor would be a mediocre football team without him. He's brought them almost to the Top 10 in the country and they COULD be heading to the Cotton Bowl, or at the worst, likely the Alamo. Huge strides for an entire program...he makes his team in a way I don't think anyone else does. That is my definition of a Heisman winner BUT I can understand many other reasons as well. I just don't necessarily like it going to someone on the #1 team every year when I feel there are many other incredible players out there.

3. I didn't know propaganda was part of the CBS contract. I only wish the Big XII pushed us as much when we played a game on our networks.
    For the record, my vote would be for Griffin as well. I've thought he SHOULD win since September, but I wasn't sold on the idea that Baylor would win enough games for him to get consideration (it's kind of an unwritten rule that you need to be on a team that wins 9 games or more if you want to win it).

I think Mathieu warrants some consideration, but by no means do I think he deserves to win it. There are probably 6 other guys off the top of my head that I'd put in front of him (RGIII, Ball, Weeden, Richardson, LaMichael James, and Luck).

And CBS has pretty much always been a bunch of SEC homers, not unlike ESPN. The better the league does, the more money they can make. I don't like it any more than you do, but CBS is basically the SEC Network. And the BTN pumps up the Big Ten as much as possible, so why not the SECN? I don't like it, but it's how things work now. Objectivity is tough to find.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

-How many times during the Baylor broadcast did the commentators mention RG3?
    -How many times during the OSU broadcast did the commentators use some derivative of the phrase "Heisman Hopeful" when describing Weeden?

Answer: A vomit-inducing number of times. It happens all over, regardless of network or league. It's a simple fact that the majority of viewers are not fans of either team, and need a reason to keep watching.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

are we going to see a repeat of 97 heisman voting where a defensive player from the national champion beats out a more deserving quarterback?

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

i dont think anyone stands a chance against LSU. they didnt have a first down in the first half. they didnt even have 300 yards of total offense. and they STILL won 42-10. LSU's offensive struggles can be credited to a great Georgia defense (top 10 in all major defensive statistics). But line up LSU against OSU's defense and it could be a 56-14 laugher.