Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 10

at the game, need explanation

I was at the game yesterday and I didn't understand what happened on the fake punt in the first half. It appeared that the punter made the first down marker and the Jumbo TV replay. Then there was a personal foul late hit which was added on, then all of a sudden Nebraska had the ball?????? I thought any personal foul would give the offense an automatic first down. If someone was listening to the radio and got an explanation to what happened I would love to hear it, that was a killer in the game.

Two side notes:
    1. This team is getting better, it is still coming down to one or two mental mistakes every week (ISU was close yesterday, GC has them going in the right direction). Today it was Meyer's turn again....ISU driving AGAIN down 21-10, they are going to get a TD or at worse a field goal to cut it to a one score game, he throws a 96 yard TD pass to Ruud. The defense had been playing very well at this point but instead of being within one score, now ISU is down 18 on the road and its over. I really think that if that INT doesn't happen, ISU wins the game - they were playing pretty well.

2. The officals were horrible, both ways. I have never seen so many flags picked up and 10 minute discussions to talk about a "possible penatly." These officals took all rhytm out of the game.

I am glad I made the 6 hour trip to Lincoln, it was quite the experience. The fans were knowledgable and nice (total opposite from being in Iowa City). The stadium was awsome, I hope some day we get JTS rocking like that. Please note JP they did not have a guy standing at mid field 5 min before kick off starting cheers for the crowd.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: at the game, need explanation

John Walters said he stepped out of bounds a yard short. Then he said the late hit happened AFTER the play so the Fuskers got the ball. I was a little confused as well, but I was only listening on my radio.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

I agree with your assessment of the personal foul situation. According to John and Eric on the radio, once Brandtner did not get the first down (supposedly), the ball is instantly in Nebraska's possession, and the personal foul is assessed after the change of possession.

I'm going to look around for an online NCAA rulebook to look that one up, because it doesn't make much sense to me to basically reward the defense for the personal foul by allowing them to get possession.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,553
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the personal foul situation. According to John and Eric on the radio, once Brandtner did not get the first down (supposedly), the ball is instantly in Nebraska's possession, and the personal foul is assessed after the change of possession.

I'm going to look around for an online NCAA rulebook to look that one up, because it doesn't make much sense to me to basically reward the defense for the personal foul by allowing them to get possession.
    Yeah, I had never heard of that before. A late hit out of bounds usually relates to a first down for the offense. I understand that after the play was over and a fight broke out on the field that might be a different story. I thought the officials blew that call. Which was a HUGE turning point of emotion in the stadium and for the Neb. players.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,049
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 7

The call sounds right to me. After the punter went out of bounds, the play is over and the ball is technically NUs. Then the personal foul occurs. The big question is why Brantner(sp) stepped out of bounds half a yard short of the first down with 3 blockers in front of him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I had a good view...we were about two yards short of the first down, and the hit came about four yards out of bounds. I didn't realize they call that one as happening AFTER the play was over, but apparently that is the rule. No matter what, you don't get any calls your way playing at Nebraska. Our receivers were getting hit before the passes got there most of the time, with no calls.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

I would have Brandtner running sweeps all week. He had 2 blockers and one fender took out all three. All Brandtner had to do was wait a little bit and then fall forward. If he was told to run wide and make sure he got out of bounds, shame on his coach. He just needed to stretch out and he had a first down. Really too bad for the novice. One blocker did nothing but run out of bounds. Shame on him also. If the two blockers had both ganged up on one defender, Brandtner could have gone a long ways. Great call but doofus execution once you were near the sideline. Duh?

Last edited by Wesley; 09-30-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    The call sounds right to me. After the punter went out of bounds, the play is over and the ball is technically NUs. Then the personal foul occurs. The big question is why Brantner(sp) stepped out of bounds half a yard short of the first down with 3 blockers in front of him.
    I agree - from our fantage (pun intended) point, it appeared there were three blockers and one defender and that play should have easily gotten a first down, if not more. Then again, from our point of view, it appeared he made it . . .

This was one of several gutsy calls which showed the staff was trying to win and not merely to limit the loss. Long term - we'll like that.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads