Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

What's good..what's bad

If you were at the game, you had to have the feeling that Iowa State had a good chance for a win. Here's my breakdown of the various components of our team.
    The Good:
    1.Iowa State's defense-all around is improving every week. What used to be a completely porous defensive backfield, has done a decent job. And our defensive line is putting pressure on the QB. Bowen is an animal, and the linebackers are looking great.
    2. Iowa State's offensive line. This group is jelling into a real deal offensive line both run blocking and pass blocking. They look great
    3. Receiving corps. We do have good receivers. Some occasional drops, but overall strong
    4. Meyer-IF he did not have the 3 interceptions, his game would have been great. He managed the game well, but the TO's are killing us. He can go in both columns good and bad.
    The Bad:
    1. Our Special Teams are a shambles. Our kickoff team is embarassing. You have to be blunt here. A good high school team looks better. We can't kick and we can't tackle. Whoever is in charge needs to figure out what to do. Even our puts and coverage is horrible. We punt from the 35 and get it to the 20...a 15 yard punt out of bounds. High kicks we can cover make more sense...all in all a complete mess.
    2. Play calling in the red zone. We seem OK until we get in scoring position, and then it's like a death wish not to score. Run off the center with our backs, and this goofy QB run that looks like a play from flag football. And we run it a lot, mostly for no gain.
    3. Turnovers. We COULD have won this game. a 14 point turnaround changed the complection of the game. Meyer may set a new all time record for most interceptions run back for touchdowns.
    That's my take. Our Kickoffs cost us dozens of yards...Chizik will have to take over this part of the coaching. He make's a million a year to be smart, now he has to show it. This part of the game is not rocket science.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 294

Re: What's good..what's bad

I have never seen such an inept coverage group. Nobody seems capable of making a play. Nobody knows if Shaggy can even connect on the ball after a twenty yard approach. Our outside contain peple are asleep at the wheel. We are laughing stock. Just call our coverage team The Smirks.

If I was Gene, just tell ref put the ball at the 35.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Shaggy has to be the most inconsistent kickoff guy I've ever seen.

I think 4 of his kickoffs resulted in touchbacks at the Iowa game. Today with the wind at his back, he couldn't even get it to the endzone.

I said it in the gamethread. I hope that this is a position that Chizik recruits hard and just sures up for the next 4 years. I'm sick of having to worry about it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Maybe we should just go ahead and practice on-side kicks and use them when we are doing well and about to fall apart with special teams. At least we may come up with the ball once in a while, the field position will be about the same and there will be no returns for touchdowns!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by atlantacyclone View Post
    Maybe we should just go ahead and practice on-side kicks and use them when we are doing well and about to fall apart with special teams. At least we may come up with the ball once in a while, the field position will be about the same and there will be no returns for touchdowns!
    I had the same thought watching the game yesterday. Or, a high pooch kick. At this point we have nothing to lose. We could even kick the ball out of bounds and be better off. Time to try something new.