Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 17

2008 Class

I was just thinking about our 08 class. We didn't have one top 150 player (we had 2 in 07). We got 3 "under the radar" recruits (Hamilton, Mann, and Wes) and all four were not being pursued by any high major programs. We were competing with all mid majors for all four of our recruits. I can't think of another Big 12 school that even offered any of our recruits. Somehow, I think this might be a solid class. From what other sites have said, Buckley is underrated; Hamilton is a hard worker and despite mainly playing JV basketball, has only played ball for 2 years and is making huge strides; Mann is a tough, hard nosed, physical player with a great work ethic as well; and Wes is a sharp shooter. It appears that all four of these kids have a great work ethic and are team players. This could be a class that is "the glue" for a solid team. Put a star like Brackins or an 09 player and this could be something special.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,816
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

Re: 2008 Class

you can't always have recruiting classes full of studs like a Craig Brackins. You are gonna need to pick up role players along they way and thats something McD is very good at finding. I have faith he knows what he is doing with the guys he is getting. I see ISU being quite the contender the next 2, 3, 4 years

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Mann had offers from Iowa and Creighton, and Wes was told by Mizzou that if he ever is reconsidering his recruitment to let them know because they would want to offer him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

Can you turn into a stud after good coaching like Jiri?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I was a decent athlete, but even with Coach Macs coaching I don't think I can be that good.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Wait, Jiri's a stud?

Did I miss something?

He turned into a decent player, but he's still a bit of a bonehead.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

you can't always have recruiting classes full of studs like a Craig Brackins.

That is my point in the post. I think despite our players not being highly recruited, this will be a solid class. The "glue" is having solid role players, which I think we got with this class. I think Buckley will turn out to be a solid point guard and Wes will be banging them in from down town. Just add one or two stars, and you have a great team. Think of all the role players we had with our 2000 or 2001 teams!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,270
    Given: 627

Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    you can't always have recruiting classes full of studs like a Craig Brackins.

That is my point in the post. I think despite our players not being highly recruited, this will be a solid class. The "glue" is having solid role players, which I think we got with this class. I think Buckley will turn out to be a solid point guard and Wes will be banging them in from down town. Just add one or two stars, and you have a great team. Think of all the role players we had with our 2000 or 2001 teams!
    I agree it's solid, and I'm pretty happy with it. Also, from all I have read, Buckley is the real deal, and would be ranked much higher if he was on the market long enough for other teams to come offering. The fact that he signed with ISU early takes him off the radar a little bit, and also probably drops his ranking. That's the way it's always been, and probably will always be.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

I don't think McDermott should ever be questioned in his recruiting until he gives us a reason to think he is crazy. Think about all the players he has recruited at UNI, they were from the state of Iowa and Iowa and ISU werent even going after them and those guys were able to go to the NCAA Tourney 3 years in a row

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am not questioning McD's recruiting, I am saying that you have to look "more beneath the surface" with this class. On paper it doesn't appear all that great, but if you look at the players individually, they are solid. McD has consistently recognized top talent early, only to loose out in the end. The reason for my post was to encourage views about this class as a whole. So many posts have been on individual players as they were recruited.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 163

People need to stop thinking about star ratings, they're a joke. They're based more on popularity than actual talent. Good recruits don't make good players without good coaches. Decent players with great coaches make a difference and that's what you're going to get the majority of the time at Iowa State. We aren't going to get supposedly 5 star players a lot but they're usually the ones with the most baggage. I'll take the supposed 3 star recruits any day with our coaching staff bringing out the best in each kid.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    People need to stop thinking about star ratings, they're a joke. They're based more on popularity than actual talent. Good recruits don't make good players without good coaches. Decent players with great coaches make a difference and that's what you're going to get the majority of the time at Iowa State. We aren't going to get supposedly 5 star players a lot but they're usually the ones with the most baggage. I'll take the supposed 3 star recruits any day with our coaching staff bringing out the best in each kid.
    I dunno about that. Give me the five star recruits. Those guys are also going to be your surest bets.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

This is exactly what GMac and staff need to do until they start advancing to the NCAA and beyond. Four and Five star players are not coming to the midwest to play for a new caoch in an unproven program. This class has a chance to become a real TEAM, and teams win ballgames, individuals don't. There was a 6'7" white guy from Charles City a few years back that nobody recruited, named Brunner. He went with his heart to a school that didn't have a great coach, and look how he turned out with nothing more than a great work ethic. Mann can be better. This class has one thing in common, work ethic. Plus, they have a great coaching staff to work with.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    This is exactly what GMac and staff need to do until they start advancing to the NCAA and beyond. Four and Five star players are not coming to the midwest to play for a new caoch in an unproven program. This class has a chance to become a real TEAM, and teams win ballgames, individuals don't. There was a 6'7" white guy from Charles City a few years back that nobody recruited, named Brunner. He went with his heart to a school that didn't have a great coach, and look how he turned out with nothing more than a great work ethic. Mann can be better. This class has one thing in common, work ethic. Plus, they have a great coaching staff to work with.

I agree that this is what GMac needs to do, and I'm happy with his recruiting. But Brunner was not under the radar recruit. His Recruiting Services Consensus Index ranking was the 50th best recruit in the country:

Post*Season*RSCI*Top*100*-*Class*of*2002

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

I agree - I really like the '07 and '08 classes - some big names, but a lot of guys that are coming in with chips on their shoulders and something to prove. We've only got a few scholarships for '09 and '10 - it's big game hunting time. We'll have time to show improvement in the program before those classes get signed and get some real big dogs in the program.

I really like the place this staff has put us in. Very excited about the future of basketball.