Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

5 NFL Players who retired too soon

5- Tony Boselli, Offensive Tackle, Jacksonville Jaguars & Houston Texans - 1995 to 2002
    Boselli was the first ever draft pick of the Jaguars was a five time Pro-Bowler in his first seven seasons. He was named to the NFL's 1990's All-Decade team despite playing just half that decade. In 2002, the Houston Texans gave Boselli another shot (even with several injuries). Tony never took the field as a Texan. He was one of the best lineman in the NFL every time he was on the field; too bad that wasn't much.

4- Bo Jackson, Running Back, Los Angeles Raiders
    Due to injury issues only played four NFL seasons. "Bo knows" more than just football, he also played Major League Baseball and was the first athlete to be an All-Star in two professional sports. However, the double dipping took a toll on young Bo fast. Jackson played backup to Hall of Fame running back Marcus Allen his whole career and only got about 30% of the carries. Despite this, Jackson finished his NFL career with 2,782 yards, 16 Touchdowns and a unheard of 5.4 yards per carry.

3- Gayle Sayers, Running Back / Returner, Chicago Bears
    Only playing seven NFL seasons due to injury, Sayers still made his mark as the first "all purpose back". From 1965 to 1971 Gayle was one of the best running backs and kick / punt returners in the league. During the 1965 season, Sayers scored a whopping 22 touchdowns. The five time Pro-Bowler had 4,956 total yards and averaged 5 yards a carry over his shortened career. Knee injuries robbed Sayers of an undoubtedly great career.

2- Barry Sanders, Running Back, Detroit Lions
    Retired one year short of being the all-time leader in several statistical categories. However, that is the reason why he is number two and not number one on my list. Sanders played on mostly below average Lions teams from 1989 to 1998. Despite facing 8 men in the box most of his career, he still put up first ballot Hall of Fame numbers. Barry finished second in all-time rushing yards and also had 109 total touchdowns. The closest he got to a Super Bowl was a loss in the 1991 NFC Championship game.

1- Jim Brown, Running Back, Cleveland Browns
    Most people consider him the best running back in NFL history. Cleveland only had Jim's services for nine seasons from 1957-1965. Four of those years were 12 game seasons, and the other five years were still just 14 games. Amazing, considering his career numbers. Brown, a 3 time MVP, 8 time Pro-Bowler and 8 time NFL first team, was only 29 year old when he announced his retirement. At that time, he was the all-time leading rusher in NFL history. I personally believe that he is one of the few 1960's NFL players that would thrive in today's league.

CyBer

Re: 5 NFL Players who retired too soon

Brett Favre....oh wait.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 43

Can Bo Jackson really be considered a "retired too soon" when a hip injury ended his career?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78

Robert Smith

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Barry is and always will be #1 in that category in my book. He was AWESOME to watch growing up in that era, then he was gone like a flash. Too bad, one of the true great runners/scramblers in the game ever.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 1,013

Tiki Barber

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I thought Boseli didn't play for the Texans because he couldn't, not because he didn't want to. Am I mistaken?

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 74

Ryan Leaf... I mean that guy was Sheer $$$$$$$$$$
    (pun intended)

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 127

That list makes no sense. Most of them (Boselli, Sayers, Jackson) retired due to injuries, not by choice.

Barry Sanders retired at the right time.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    Barry is and always will be #1 in that category in my book. He was AWESOME to watch growing up in that era, then he was gone like a flash. Too bad, one of the true great runners/scramblers in the game ever.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9gZAyeRdNo&feature=related]NFL-Barry Sanders top ten plays, Highlights, and milestones - YouTube[/ame]

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 42

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUVFZYYzHPU]Barry Sanders Ultimate Highlight Video HD - YouTube[/ame]

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by JonBonJovi View Post
    5- Tony Boselli, Offensive Tackle, Jacksonville Jaguars & Houston Texans - 1995 to 2002
    Boselli was the first ever draft pick of the Jaguars was a five time Pro-Bowler in his first seven seasons. He was named to the NFL's 1990's All-Decade team despite playing just half that decade. In 2002, the Houston Texans gave Boselli another shot (even with several injuries). Tony never took the field as a Texan. He was one of the best lineman in the NFL every time he was on the field; too bad that wasn't much.

4- Bo Jackson, Running Back, Los Angeles Raiders
    Due to injury issues only played four NFL seasons. "Bo knows" more than just football, he also played Major League Baseball and was the first athlete to be an All-Star in two professional sports. However, the double dipping took a toll on young Bo fast. Jackson played backup to Hall of Fame running back Marcus Allen his whole career and only got about 30% of the carries. Despite this, Jackson finished his NFL career with 2,782 yards, 16 Touchdowns and a unheard of 5.4 yards per carry.

3- Gayle Sayers, Running Back / Returner, Chicago Bears
    Only playing seven NFL seasons due to injury, Sayers still made his mark as the first "all purpose back". From 1965 to 1971 Gayle was one of the best running backs and kick / punt returners in the league. During the 1965 season, Sayers scored a whopping 22 touchdowns. The five time Pro-Bowler had 4,956 total yards and averaged 5 yards a carry over his shortened career. Knee injuries robbed Sayers of an undoubtedly great career.

2- Barry Sanders, Running Back, Detroit Lions
    Retired one year short of being the all-time leader in several statistical categories. However, that is the reason why he is number two and not number one on my list. Sanders played on mostly below average Lions teams from 1989 to 1998. Despite facing 8 men in the box most of his career, he still put up first ballot Hall of Fame numbers. Barry finished second in all-time rushing yards and also had 109 total touchdowns. The closest he got to a Super Bowl was a loss in the 1991 NFC Championship game.

1- Jim Brown, Running Back, Cleveland Browns
    Most people consider him the best running back in NFL history. Cleveland only had Jim's services for nine seasons from 1957-1965. Four of those years were 12 game seasons, and the other five years were still just 14 games. Amazing, considering his career numbers. Brown, a 3 time MVP, 8 time Pro-Bowler and 8 time NFL first team, was only 29 year old when he announced his retirement. At that time, he was the all-time leading rusher in NFL history. I personally believe that he is one of the few 1960's NFL players that would thrive in today's league.
    You know which CF poster retired too soon? Millerforrest. That guy was a riot. Always posting funny stuff about sensually kissing Mike McCarthy, and whatnot.

If only he would un-retire... Alas.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,830
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 915
    Given: 48

What about Walter Payton? I guess I don't really know much about his career, but he only played for a handful of seasons, didn't he? (Less than 10)

Addict
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    What about Walter Payton? I guess I don't really know much about his career, but he only played for a handful of seasons, didn't he? (Less than 10)
    played 12 seasons ('75-'87)

Also, to the OP, you can't be considered as retiring too soon when you retire due to injury. Retiring too soon indicates they can still play at a high level when they retire.