PF-Royce White 35 minutes a game
    SF-Chris Babb 30 minutes a game
    SG/PG-Chris Allen & Tyrus McGee 30 minutes a game a piece

Bench
    Scott at SG only; 20 minutes a game
    Booker at PF 15 minutes a game
    BuBu at SG or PG 10-15 minutes a game
    Ejim at SF and occasional PF when needed 10 minutes a game

1. Play a traditional lineup and stop playing so small. We are most successful when we have two posts in the game at a time. It also gives us a chance to do high low with white & percy or white and booker. It will also help us with rebounding which will help us outlet and get out in transition.

2. Percy Gibson to start and play more. He is a 6'9 240 pound lefty. He rebounds well, can score pretty easy, and does good things every time he gets in the game.

3. Tyrus McGee to start and play 30 mintes a game in place of Scott. I know people love scott because he has been with the program for 4 years but stats don't lie. McGee is averaging the same or better in all categories but assists than Scott. It's not that hard to see.

4. Chris Babb needs to stop being so one dimensional. That's the reason why he had 8 points against uni in the first four minutes and no points after that. It's not that hard to shut down a one dimensional player.

5. Royce White to stay in the low block. Most of his turnovers come from him driving the basket. He owns when he is in the low block. He also can't make a jump shot so you might as well give it to him down low and let him flush it in their face.

6. Ejim to play less and to play in position. He is simply not a post player. He doesn't have statistics that a starter should have. If he plays in position I guarantee his stats improve.

7. Percy Gibson/Anthony Booker to guard best post player. Royce White is 6'7. They shoot right over him and own him on the block. We need someone a little longer to contest their shots.

8. Chris Allen and Scott coming off of screens. They are both best when they catch and shoot. They are having to create their own shots right now because they are both playing out of position. That's why they are sucking.

9. Press! You can't have a transition offense if you don't pressure them and create turnovers. Half court offenses need a point guard. If we are in transition our PG issues will go away.

10. Tyrus McGee to play PG. The reason that fred hoiberg recruited McGee was to play PG. He played SG his first year at Cowley Comm College. Right after he signed with Iowa State he played Point guard the entire year his sophomore year at Cowley. Chris Allen needs reps at PG too. Scott is by far the worst possible selection on the team to run point. We need people to run the PG that can create.

11. Our guards need to stop shooting the ball when they are off. We have a ton of shooters. Pass the ball and find the hot guy.

Last edited by nallen34; 12-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.

CyBer

Re: Things we need to do to win

I like Gibson, but I don't know if he should be starting. Also I think Bubu or McGee should be PG, not Scotty.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 20

You see that number there? That number there under your team's name has to be bigger than the number under the other team's name. Then when the timer ticks down to zero - BOOM - your team wins the game.

Sincerely,
    John Madden

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gibsons shooting 90 percent cuz his only buckets are put backs. Which I'm happy about, means he's getting in there and mixing it up but still don't think he should be starting.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by 247cy View Post
    You see that number there? That number there under your team's name has to be bigger than the number under the other team's name. Then when the timer ticks down to zero - BOOM - your team wins the game.

Sincerely,
    John Madden
    My old HS coach always told us that if we scored more points than the other team that we stood a good chance of winning.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,016
    Given: 2,406

Bubu isn't a shooting guard, but he does look like the best PG option we have right now. I'd say he's earned a lot more than the 5-10 minutes per game the OP is lining him up for.

You could make a case for Bubu starting at PG to set some tempo.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 14

Gibson is a lefty. Which in itself is hard to guard. He is 6'9 240. He boxes out and positions himself well. He takes good high percentage shots. He is another post presence. We can do high low with Royce and him. It's obvious that having a 6'7 post and a 6'6 pf isn't working for us. So might as well inject a 6'9 post and move the 6'7 guy to pf.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

Michigan is a huge game to show us if we are listening to what we need to do on the court. If we play like we did against UNI or Drake, we will lose. If we play smarter than shown so far, we will win.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87

yeah WE really need to figure something out. I think We need to start playing better defense, I have been trying really hard but the other guys on the team just don't seem to be catching on.

"But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That's the way- not orthodox, I don't live by "the rules" you know." - David Brent

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 337

I like the idea of Bubu starting at PG and Gibson sliding into the starting lineup. It seems to me that a couple of high effort guys who don't need to have the ball in their hands to be effective would do wonders for this group.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    yeah WE really need to figure something out. I think We need to start playing better defense, I have been trying really hard but the other guys on the team just don't seem to be catching on.

ha are you a player or something?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

9. Press! You can't have a transition offense if you don't pressure them and create turnovers. Half court offenses need a point guard. If we are in transition our PG issues will go away.
    Luckily this isn't COMPLETELY wrong. You can have transition offense by rebounding and outletting while releasing 2 down floor. We can't rebound, therefore we can't release people.

And ball handlers are an absolute necessity to run. Do you know anything about playing basketball? I've reffed a TON of games this year and teams that can run have one thing in common: ball handling guards.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Luckily this isn't COMPLETELY wrong. You can have transition offense by rebounding and outletting while releasing 2 down floor. We can't rebound, therefore we can't release people.

And ball handlers are an absolute necessity to run. Do you know anything about playing basketball? I've reffed a TON of games this year and teams that can run have one thing in common: ball handling guards.

I was just about to post this. Press with this team?

We have ONE off the bench guard, McGee and maybe Bubu. Impossible to press without having one play maker guard.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 267

I agree with SOME of the OP.

Bubu is the best option at PG right now. The tough part of that to swallow is it takes a scorer off the floor. It might be necessary though. He also HUSTLES and plays good D.

Not that the staff needs my blessing, or cares what I think I know about basketball, but I support mixing up the starting lineup for this game. I think some guys have earned it. Ejim is in a funk - let him come off the bench, and see if that can shake it. I know that we are guard-heavy in terms of talent + experience, but trying a "bigger" lineup might help get us going. Hoiberg talked about Royce at the 3 before the season - why not try it out? As it is, be brings the ball up, and plays outside 50% of the time. If not the "3", at least start Booker or Gibson in place of Ejim. Make a concerted effort to pound the ball inside, and dominate the glass. If successful, it might open up the arc more. If nothing else, it might remind our guys there is another way to play besides shooting threes. We need some balance in the event of cold shooting - like against UNI.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

Who said that SG's don't have good ball handling. All i was saying was that a PG is more of a necessity in half court sets to get the offense going. Stop putting words in my mouth. I played basketball from 5th to 12th grade thanks for asking. All i was saying is to increase transition offense you need to create turnovers from pressing. And yes i agree you can also get transition from defensive rebounding. Sorry that I didn't include every aspect of every part of the game. Lay off ******.