Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

Moving forward

I haven't read a lot of the threads because I can't handle the emotional drivel, so excuse me if I repeat what has been discussed. I thought I would break it down individually as I tend to ramble.

Christopherson- Not much to be said here. I thought he played okay last night and made some big shots down the stretch. Like most of us, I'd like to see him moved off the point and moved to the 2 where he can be Scott Christopherson.

Allen- Along with Royce, this is the most difficult evaluation. He is clearly one of our most talented players. He has the most experience of anyone on the team, and he needs to start showing it. I don't know if he has his eye on his statistics or if he is feeling pressure to produce. I tend to think it is the latter. I would like to see him start the game by going to the basket. He is one of the only guys on the team that can get to the rim. If he can get a couple layups or free throws, that confidence should spread to his outside shooting. He so desperately wants to get on a roll and his forced shots are killing our momentum. I'd like to see him take more shots within the offense on kickouts or handoffs. Defensively, he showed last night he can cause problems. He needs to keep his focus and intensity consistent. He can still be a great player for us this year and once he relaxes, I think he will be.

Ejim- I've expressed previously I'm not a big Ejim fan. Against Rice, he was all over the place grabbing rebounds and getting loose balls. He starts the game well and looks like he is enjoying himself the rest of the game. He gets in foul trouble against UNI and starts hanging his head and pouting. He is then worthless for the rest of the game. He is still young so I hope he can become more mature as his career progresses. He will never be a highly skilled player, but he can be an effective rebounder and defender. I'd like to see him focus on wreaking havoc on the offensive boards and helping out defensively. He needs to accept his role, but that could be said for everyone.

Babb- Not many complaints here. Sometimes, shot selection is an issue, but he has been our most consistent shooter. He does a good job on the boards and playing defense. There is no doubt he's been our best player so far and I expect that to continue.

White- This one is tough. He is clearly an asset to this team and a huge talent. We saw how effective he can be when he plays with a chip on his shoulder. He tried to take over the game, and for some time, he did. He made some ill-advised plays, but we will have to live with those as he IS a young, raw player. Offensively, I'd like him to stay down low more often. I think our best opportunities come when he is on the block, and the other team has to decide to double or not. Of course, this requires Royce to be able to take his man one-on-one. We've seen that he has trouble finishing in the paint. I'd like to see him try to get to the line more often. Of course, he has to make his free throws. He needs to value the basketball and choose his battles more wisely. The turnover when all 5 UNI players were sagging in the lane was atrocious. Obviously, he needs to take more pride in his defense. He, along with everyone else, needs to realize that at this level you cannot take any possessions off. He is already a good rebounder, he could be great if he would stop relying on his natural abilities and took more pride in the fundamentals of the game.

McGee- Can't ask much more out of Tyrus. He had his first off game of his career. That was bound to happen. It was just unfortunate it had to come when we really could have used his outside shooting. The effort was still there last night and I expect that to continue for the rest of the season. He plays hard every play, rebounds, defends, and shoots the three. He is the least of our worries.

Bubu- He will be one of our key bench players for th rest of the season, so Bubu haters should get on board now. He is our best on-ball defender and our best pure point guard. He's exceeded all expectations so far this season. He knows his role, and he sticks to it. If he continues to play like he has, I'd like to see Fred consider starting him and bringing Scott off the bench. As we all know, a pure point guard would help everyone out. I do think Bubu could struggle against Big XII caliber guards but I don't see anyone else on the team that gives us a better option. As of now, I'm going to ride the Bubu bandwagon as long as he keeps playing well.

Booker- He struggled last night and I think he is well aware of it. He has the physical attributes to help this team where we need it. Unfortunately, I don't think being physical is part of his game. He needs to focus on staying inside, grabbing offensive rebounds, and forcing the opponent to post up farther from the basket. I like his attitude and he will help this team at some point. Just don't expect it to be consistent.

Gibson- I can't figure out why he didn't play until the second half. He appears to have a better feel for the game than any of our bigs. He is in good position, rebounds, and finishes around the rim. You know, like a big man is supposed to play. He is our best pure post player without a doubt. I'd like to see him get a few more opportunities on the block. He is nifty around the rim and knows how to put the ball in the hoop. Royce could really use his help down there. He has been the most pleasant surprise of the season for me. He is bigger, more fluid, and more polished than I expected. He needs more minutes.

Fred- For the first time, I became worried about Fred's coaching abilities. He has been schooled by both Phelps and Jacobsen. He is inexperienced, but at this level, that excuse can't last long. He needs to raise his expectations for his players. I fear that he might be too much of a players coach and that attitude manifests on the defensive end of the floor. I hope he gets his players' attention the rest of the week. His substitution patterns have really confused me. Gibson is one of the first off the bench one week, and then doesn't see the floor until the second half when we have been struggling defending the post and rebounding? Gibson needs more minutes than Booker. Bubu should see more minutes at the point, if not starting. The Christopherson at PG saga is overblown by everyone, but Scott should never bring the ball up the court. Fred needs to find a set rotation so the players can settle into their roles. They look confused and undisciplined and that is a direct reflection of coaching.

This season is far from over and I'm optimistic at some point, it will click. I thought we'd see a more polished product than we're currently seeing, but obviously I was wrong. As far as individual talent, they have been about as I expected. If these guys can find and accept their roles, they still have an opportunity to get to the postseason. I know we hear this every year and everyone says this, but I think we will see a completely different team in February than November. This team has the talent, we just need the consistent effort and focus.

Ok, I'm done. Nothing groundbreaking, and perhaps more for my own benefit than yours, but that's all I got today.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Re: Moving forward

Hard to argue with any of your post as I think you're spot on.

The only addition that I would have is the lack of defense by Scottie C. He seems lost on the defensive end as witnessed last evening from the six minute mark on down.

As far as the offense, I thought I was witnessing a return to Wayne Morgan's offensive set's.

I hope to see more motion, picks and screens in the future.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
    Groucho Marx

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Torks Pub View Post
    Hard to argue with any of your post as I think you're spot on.

The only addition that I would have is the lack of defense by Scottie C. He seems lost on the defensive end as witnessed last evening from the six minute mark on down.

As far as the offense, I thought I was witnessing a return to Wayne Morgan's offensive set's.

I hope to see more motion, picks and screens in the future.
    Agreed. The standing around is when we need a Diante to penetrate. I think Allen can help with that. While our defensive effort was poor, I think a poor basketball IQ can be confused with being lazy. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Bubu- He will be one of our key bench players for th rest of the season, so Bubu haters should get on board now. He is our best on-ball defender and our best pure point guard. He's exceeded all expectations so far this season. He knows his role, and he sticks to it. If he continues to play like he has, I'd like to see Fred consider starting him and bringing Scott off the bench. As we all know, a pure point guard would help everyone out. I do think Bubu could struggle against Big XII caliber guards but I don't see anyone else on the team that gives us a better option. As of now, I'm going to ride the Bubu bandwagon as long as he keeps playing well.
    Prepare to get drilled for this one, but I, for one, am glad to see someone put this so succinctly. Walk-on or not, the guy has some things to contribute, two things this team desperately needs; point guard ball handling/distribution and defense.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Prepare to get drilled for this one, but I, for one, am glad to see someone put this so succinctly. Walk-on or not, the guy has some things to contribute, two things this team desperately needs; point guard ball handling/distribution and defense.
    Bring it on. I've never understood the Bubu hate just because of the label of walk-on. You can either play or you can't. Bubu is showing us he can, or at least is better than anything else we have available.