Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Are we becoming a Football school?

Why the hell not?

We have a tremendous change in our culture, thanks to a spectacular hire by Pollard in Rhoads.

Forget the Oklahoma State win, take the loss at Oklahoma for example. When was the last time we lost only by 20 at Oklahoma when they were ranked in the top ten? I am not calling it a moral victory by any means but Iowa State's defense looked better than Oklahoma's offense in that game. When was the last time that ever happened?

I think Oklahoma will beat Oklahoma State by about 20 and that will make us look relevant as a Football school.

I found it painful to watch our MBB team lose to UNI but I am not going to cry about it. We need to trust in Hoiberg and give him more time. There was more damage done to the system in MBB than football during the coaching changes IMO. I like to think our football program is making threads all over and we are finally becoming recognized as a football threat than a basketball threat.

Just take a look at the possible bowl match ups for example: North Carolina, Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Arizona State etc. I think Iowa State can hang with every single one of these teams in a bowl game. In fact, I think we should win over every possible team we are matched up with.

I am not too worried about our MBB team. We will lose more games before we get relevant again and I don't think 2011 is the year to be honest. However, we are a football team that's bowling. Be proud, we are a football school now. I like the change.

Go Cyclones!!!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: Are we becoming a Football school?

Uh. Yep.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,976
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 58

Hopefully we become an "X" school in some major sport. Barring some solid years from the mid 90s to the early 00s, I'd hardly call us a force in basketball as well. It just happened to be the sport, of the 2 major ones that we were better at.

In the end, football is where the money is at. And as a BCS conference member, we'd be foolish not to try to capitalize on that. A semi-successful football team will always generate more money than a good Basketball team. Look at Kansas and where they were at in the conference realignment issue. Football drives college athletics so we have to try to strike while the iron is hot.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Looks like football will be the success story this year. No more talk of NCAA unless someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 59

That was part of the master plan....

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Hopefully we become an "X" school in some major sport. Barring some solid years from the mid 90s to the early 00s, I'd hardly call us a force in basketball as well. It just happened to be the sport, of the 2 major ones that we were better at.

In the end, football is where the money is at. And as a BCS conference member, we'd be foolish not to try to capitalize on that. A semi-successful football team will always generate more money than a good Basketball team. Look at Kansas and where they were at in the conference realignment issue. Football drives college athletics so we have to try to strike while the iron is hot.
    This is incorrect, you need to look further into the history of ISU basketball, the success has always been on the basketball side, there were some down points but as far as national success but you need more historical research here before making comments like this....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

It does help a bit when the game conditions in Oklahoma were beyond terrible.

And I can't think of a single "football" school that thinks a .500 record is great in any given year. Iowa State is a nothing school at this point in sports that matter, and a volleyball or WBB school otherwise.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Being a Football School > Being a Basketball School

So

Let's hope so....

That said...the people peeing themselves over the basketball team this year are one of 2 things:

Overly optimistic
    Morons

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It does help a bit when the game conditions in Oklahoma were beyond terrible.

And I can't think of a single "football" school that thinks a .500 record is great in any given year. Iowa State is a nothing school at this point in sports that matter, and a volleyball or WBB school otherwise.

I think the OP meant football driven AD.....which we are now. Hopefully CPR continues to improve the program with BBALL in the stinker.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    This is incorrect, you need to look further into the history of ISU basketball, the success has always been on the basketball side, there were some down points but as far as national success but you need more historical research here before making comments like this....
    We were really great in basketball a couple years. This whole "we were a basketball school" thing drives me crazy. Historically we were good. We weren't Duke, we weren't Maryland, we weren't even Cincinatti. We were a team no one wanted to play in Hilton for one game a year. We were not a team that scared the **** out of people year in and year out. Johnny Orr brought us to some sort of relevance but even he didn't have what I consider great success. Floyd and Eustachy had even better success but that was the height of the program. The two conference Championships were great and that should have been our propeller into the "basketball school" classification but due to bad luck and I don't even know what with Mac, it didn't materialize. I'm sorry I don't share the same feeling as many but our success wasn't what some think it was but to me, we have never really built on prior success. Each coach had peaks followed by deep valleys. To me, that's not a basketball school. I think some consider us to be one because of a tremendous lack of success in football relative to basketball so we went with the lesser of the two evils.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by HILLCYD View Post
    Being a Football School > Being a Basketball School

So

Let's hope so....

That said...the people peeing themselves over the basketball team this year are one of 2 things:

Overly optimistic
    Morons
    Dude...we lost to UNI AND DRAKE! Do you think that is acceptable? I could understand your comment if we were losing to teams on our level. But UNI and Drake?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone101 View Post
    Dude...we lost to UNI AND DRAKE! Do you think that is acceptable? I could understand your comment if we were losing to teams on our level. But UNI and Drake?
    Like dude...dude....what would our level be?

Like dude...I guess this is like...the first time any Big 12 school has lost to an MVC team. Dude...like...wow...dude.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    We have one Final Four appearance, and it was in the 40s. Jacksonville, Drake, St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, and UNC Charloette (to name just a few) have all been there since the last time we have, and nobody in their right mind would consider them successful basketball schools. Just because basketball happens to have been the better of the two major sports at an individual school does not mean that school is a "basketball school".

That said, being a "football school" clearly carries much more clout than being a basketball school, so why wouldn't we want football to be our bread-and-butter? Look at how Kansas has been talked about as if it's chopped liver during this realignment garbage, and how the basketball prowess of the Big East means absolutely squat.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

We are an agricultural school. And right now, that's that for that.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    We have one Final Four appearance, and it was in the 40s. Jacksonville, Drake, St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, and UNC Charloette (to name just a few) have all been there since the last time we have, and nobody in their right mind would consider them successful basketball schools. Just because basketball happens to have been the better of the two major sports at an individual school does not mean that school is a "basketball school".

That said, being a "football school" clearly carries much more clout than being a basketball school, so why wouldn't we want football to be our bread-and-butter? Look at how Kansas has been talked about as if it's chopped liver during this realignment garbage, and how the basketball prowess of the Big East means absolutely squat.
    MOST athletic departments with football programs call it their bread and butter even if their records are terrible.

Financially, every school is a football school.