Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 260

Valley High School Recruiting????

This is getting rediculous. All the sudden half of the Roosevelt basketball team transfers to Valley. A few years ago one of the top wrestlers in the state up and transfers to Valley. Jason Scales parents lived in Pennsylvania when he played at Valley. Not sure how many kids transfer to Valley just for the sports. I see their state titles as very hollow. The rest of the schools (Minus Dowling) play with the kids that grow up and go to that school. I know there is a school that took Wesley Staten in that does the same thing. Jeff Horner appears to be a better recruiter at this point than Fran at Iowa.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 31

Re: Valley High School Recruiting????

Saw someone posting on Twitter all of the athletes that live in the Hoover district yet go to WDM schools (including Darboh and Jok), it was pretty eye opening. The transfer rules in this state are rediculous and just invite this kind of stuff. In Florida, if you go to school out of district, you have to sit out a full year, even if you are transferring to a private boarding school. Even if you move you normally have to sit out unless you can provide a ton of paperwork...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

If the parents/guardians truly move into the West Des Moines district and/or all of the open enrollment guidelines are followed, what is the problem? Who can blame them, and why shouldn't they have the freedom to move and go to school where they want?

It's only "recruiting" if Valley initiated the contact. Is Valley contacting kids and convincing them to come to Valley? Find out that happened and then you've got something.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26

This is why I admire Ankeny for their decision to go with two smaller high schools instead of one huge high school. Unlike West Des Moines, our community chose to do what is best for the kids instead of worrying about all the state titles our football and basketball teams will miss out on.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 260

It's recruiting if Horner contacts Joks guardians friend. Who contacts Joks Guardian who tells Peter to transfer. Their are ways around all of this crap. I actually like the way Ankeny does their sports. Good program. For the record. Nobody is moving to West Des Moines. Everyone is moving to Waukee. Except great athletes who move to West Des Moines.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    This is getting rediculous. All the sudden half of the Roosevelt basketball team transfers to Valley. A few years ago one of the top wrestlers in the state up and transfers to Valley. Jason Scales parents lived in Pennsylvania when he played at Valley. Not sure how many kids transfer to Valley just for the sports. I see their state titles as very hollow. The rest of the schools (Minus Dowling) play with the kids that grow up and go to that school. I know there is a school that took Wesley Staten in that does the same thing. Jeff Horner appears to be a better recruiter at this point than Fran at Iowa.
    You would think that with the largest enrollment in the state that they would be able to find five guys that can play basketball without bringing in kids from other schools.....BUT.... it is happening everywhere. Even kids in the smaller disticts are open enrolling in neighbring towns because they have a better wrestling team, football team, etc.

I am will to give Valley the benefit of the doubt until I find out that they are actually "recruiting" kids. It could just be kids and/or their parents searching for the best program.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    This is why I admire Ankeny for their decision to go with two smaller high schools instead of one huge high school. Unlike West Des Moines, our community chose to do what is best for the kids instead of worrying about all the state titles our football and basketball teams will miss out on.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though the decision was to split the grades, not the students. So there is no South Ankeny, North Ankeny rivalry - it's still Ankeny. This still keeps the athletics together as one community, and no offense, they were definitely worried about state titles for the sports programs.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 39

I don't think there is any proof to say that there is recruiting going on, but the kids aren't stupid. If I live in a school district with a horrible athletic program and there is a powerhouse program 15-20 min away, I would seriously consider trying to relocate or transfer there. It's human nature to want to win.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though the decision was to split the grades, not the students. So there is no South Ankeny, North Ankeny rivalry - it's still Ankeny. This still keeps the athletics together as one community, and no offense, they were definitely worried about state titles for the sports programs.
    I believe Ankeny Centennial opens next year, so I guess you are wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 628

JMO but Sour grapes. If a kid wants to go to a school that has better athletics programs than the current kids school he/she should be able to. I live in Ames, but Gilbert school district if my kid wanted to go to a bigger/better school mainly for sports I would be all for it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

2 schools open in 2013 and at that point there will be 2 seperate schools and teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You think maybe these kids just wanted to play for a guy that played at a high level at Iowa and in the NBADL? Or the fact that they all transferred when Horner became the head coach? I guarantee none of them would be there if our old coach was still coaching there.

Oh, and…

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    JMO but Sour grapes. If a kid wants to go to a school that has better athletics programs than the current kids school he/she should be able to. I live in Ames, but Gilbert school district if my kid wanted to go to a bigger/better school mainly for sports I would be all for it.

But there should be some consequence attached to it... Fine, if you want to transfer, do it... but be prepared to sit out a year.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    But there should be some consequence attached to it... Fine, if you want to transfer, do it... but be prepared to sit out a year.
    Not everything always is as it appears. I changed schools my senior year so I know how most of this happens. If you transfer aka open enroll, you must sit one school quarter. This is why most move. Show some sort of residency in that district. Ic west and wsr with wrestling are the two most notable schools for kids moving in. If kids want it and are committed I don't see a problem.

I always said it was the best thing that happened to me. I only moved because my original school closed.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

That isn't correct. The city will split in 2013 I think...