Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 0

Couple of BCS/ISU questions

It seems to me that it is in ISU's best interest if the Big 12 gets 2 teams in BCS Bowl games, correct?

So first off, the champion of the Big 12 will get a BCS bowl automatically, right? And then we'd need someone else to also get an invite. Can we get 2 teams in BCS bowls if we don't have a team in the title game? And if so, how do they determine whether we get another team in?

I'm thinking it might be best if OU beats OSU this weekend. OU would get the automatic berth, and I think OSU would get invited too since they would still be a top 10 team IMO. If OSU wins, OU will drop down out of the top 10 for sure.

The next question surrounds the ISU-KSU game. Some think KSU could be the 2nd Big 12 team that gets a BCS bowl bid. But the ONLY possible way that can happen is if they beat ISU. So there's actually a chance that by us losing this weekend, we could get a better bowl game than if we won, correct? If KSU beats us and therefore gets into a BCS bowl, we could end up better off than actually winning.

I don't really understand all the rules regarding how teams get a BCS bowl bid, so I'm sure I'm way off base here. I just would like some clarification on all this. I know Big 10 fans want Michigan to get into a BCS bowl, but in order to do so, they HAVE to be in the top 14, which they aren't yet. Hopefully don't make it into the top 14 either.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Couple of BCS/ISU questions

Deace speculated this same thing today on the radio. It may be in our best bowl interest to lose to KSU.

Personally, I will take the win. The rest is what it is.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    It seems to me that it is in ISU's best interest if the Big 12 gets 2 teams in BCS Bowl games, correct?

So first off, the champion of the Big 12 will get a BCS bowl automatically, right? And then we'd need someone else to also get an invite. Can we get 2 teams in BCS bowls if we don't have a team in the title game? And if so, how do they determine whether we get another team in?

I'm thinking it might be best if OU beats OSU this weekend. OU would get the automatic berth, and I think OSU would get invited too since they would still be a top 10 team IMO. If OSU wins, OU will drop down out of the top 10 for sure.

The next question surrounds the ISU-KSU game. Some think KSU could be the 2nd Big 12 team that gets a BCS bowl bid. But the ONLY possible way that can happen is if they beat ISU. So there's actually a chance that by us losing this weekend, we could get a better bowl game than if we won, correct? If KSU beats us and therefore gets into a BCS bowl, we could end up better off than actually winning.

I don't really understand all the rules regarding how teams get a BCS bowl bid, so I'm sure I'm way off base here. I just would like some clarification on all this. I know Big 10 fans want Michigan to get into a BCS bowl, but in order to do so, they HAVE to be in the top 14, which they aren't yet. Hopefully don't make it into the top 14 either.
    1. It seems to me that it is in ISU's best interest if the Big 12 gets 2 teams in BCS Bowl games, correct

-Depends what you think ISU's best interest is...More Big 12 money to split, then yes. If ISU loses Saturday and you think the Pinstripe bowl is better than TicketCity, then yes.

2. So first off, the champion of the Big 12 will get a BCS bowl automatically, right?

-yes

3. Can we get 2 teams in BCS bowls if we don't have a team in the title game?

-yes

4. And if so, how do they determine whether we get another team in?

-There are 4 at large spots. Right now, probably 3 are taken. Teams in the top 4 who don't win their conference get auto bids (Alabama, Stanford). Teams from non-AQ conferences in the top 16 who finish higher than a BCS conf champ (Big East) get an auto bid (Houston, and if they lose probably TCU).

That leaves 1 spot. Since conferences can only have 2 BCS teams, the available options will be some combination of Boise, K-State, Baylor, OU, Okla St, and/or Michigan. If you're in the top 14 you're eligible. If Michigan can climb to #14 they will get the bid because all the bowls see is $$$.

5. I'm thinking it might be best if OU beats OSU this weekend. OU would get the automatic berth, and I think OSU would get invited too since they would still be a top 10 team IMO. If OSU wins, OU will drop down out of the top 10 for sure.

-If OU wins, and Michigan climbs to #14, Michigan will get a BCS bid before Okla State due to $$$.

6. So there's actually a chance that by us losing this weekend, we could get a better bowl game than if we won, correct? If KSU beats us and therefore gets into a BCS bowl, we could end up better off than actually winning.

-All depends on what you think a "better" bowl is. A Big 12 team getting a BCS spot will probably depend more on Baylor and other favorites winning than anything else. That will determine if Michigan climbs to #14 or not.

Nobody really knows how all this will play out, but really the only Big 12 bowls in play for ISU are Holiday and Pinstripe.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 6

I'd say the best bet is either OU beats OSU and they both make it, or OSU wins and Georgia beats LSU and LSU drops to #3 putting OSU in the championship. Obviously a more likely scenario would be OSU winning and KSU beating us and those teams making BCS bowls, but I'd take a win over anything.