Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

KSU Breakdown....

ISU will win this game - 12 pt dogs only helps our coaching staff!!!!

Here's why...

ISU Offense versus KSU defense.

ISU has to hold onto the ball - KSU's defense is #2 in the big 12 in turnover margin and they expect to win the turnover battle. ISU has had problems all season with turnovers. If we can keep our hands on the ball - Our offense will produce points this week....i'm betting your going to see a lot of bubble screens to horne and west. KSU is lacking in the pass defense....this is their achilles heal on defense. I want to see West get the ball in different ways, right now between him, gary, horne, our offense has to be patient and go after whats there - and it will be there. KSU is stout against the rush...actually ranked ahead of Oklahoma. However, i thought our offensive front did a very good job against that Oklahoma front 7. I foresee them putting 8 in the box and daring us to throw to beat them. Test the redshirt qb....will he/can he audible out of the dreaded 8 man box....I think our offense will be focused and be able to move the ball. By the numbers...

Their total defense is 74th in the nation in yardage averaging about 38 yards less per game then ISU. Their 76th in scoring defense giving up 28 a game were 81st 29 pts a game. They had a great outing against Texas, but prior to that they had given up 50, 52, 58, 21, 34...

this team will give up points....we need to sustain drives and let our defense stay fresh!!!! Their defense does not get a lot of pressure on the qb and i think that plays right into our hands. If they blitz, i think Barnett rushes or finds the open guy. KSU is not built like Oklahoma, they do not get a lot of pressure, they play sound defense much like isu, only they're opposite, they defend the run and are not as sound against the pass..meaning Barnett will not be rushed into throws by a lot of pressure. This bodes well for isu's passing game and i think they will pass them out of the 8 man fronts. If they don't sneak up into an 8 man front, the way our offensive line played last week, i think we will have success rushing the ball....not 225 yards good, but i think 175-190 yards rushing is conceivable. However, our wr will find zones open and we will see a long td from mr west, also look for Gary and Money to score tds.

KSU Offense against our Defense

IMO our defense is playing at such a high level right now...Do you realize that besides FSU holding Oklahoma to 23, our defense held them to their 2nd lowest point total of the season. Against Okie state, we held them to their 2nd lowest scoring of the season only A&M held them to lower and that was 30 in regulation. One problem this week, our weakness is KSU's strength... a rushing attack!!!! I will bet you all my credits that KSU will see a lot of 8 men boxes....how many teams are 9-2 and average more yards rushing then passing? NONE!!!! I think our DE's will get pressure on KSU's qb as they're last in the conference giving up the most sacks. Look for KSU to try and get their zone read going and if they have success, we will be in for a long day. KSU is built to hold onto the ball, sustain drives and put pressure on the opposing team to score. ironic, thats how were also built but look for them to have some wrinkles in place with an extra week to prepare.

Special Teams

KSU has a huge advantage here....once again they have a dynamic return man. KSU is #1 in kickoff return average and starting field position can make or break a rushing attack. We need to cover the kicks after our scores and make them work with the long field.

Prediction:
    ISU 34 KSU 24

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: KSU Breakdown....

34 points? We have scored over 34 points in regulation twice in the last 2 years. We aren't playing Texas Tech this week

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 91

Just like the last 2 years, neither team is going to run away and hide in this game. This will be another close one decided by 7 or less.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Comparing the conference only stats:

Total Offense:
    ISU 400.5 yds
    KSU 340.8 yds

Total Defense:
    KSU 459.8 yds
    ISU 467.0 yds

Hell yes, we can play with these guys. As the OP says, we need to hold onto the ball.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

Cracks me up to see people think taking care of the ball is just magically going to happen. I don't think we've had a game yet this year we haven't had a turnover and only 2 games without multiple turnovers.

UNI: 4
    Iowa: 3
    UConn: 3
    Texas: 3
    Baylor: 2
    Missouri: 3
    Texas A&M: 1
    Texas Tech: 1
    Kansas: 3
    Oklahoma State: 3
    Oklahoma: 4

And Kansas State is towards the top in turnovers in the Big 12. Bad combination.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,405
    Given: 662

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Cracks me up to see people think taking care of the ball is just magically going to happen. I don't think we've had a game yet this year we haven't had a turnover and only 2 games without multiple turnovers.

And Kansas State is towards the top in turnovers in the Big 12. Bad combination.
    So was OSU.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,535
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 28

edit: beat me to it.

holding onto the ball is easier said than done

we have said before almost every game this season "If we don't turn the ball over, we will win."

Problem is, we almost always turn the ball over a bunch. 4 out of 10 times it wasn't too much to overcome: Kansas, OSU, Iowa, UNI. The other game was Texas Tech. We didn't turn it over (once, i think) and we won easily.

So i'd say its pretty clear we can compete when we don't turn the ball over. That is exactly why Kansas State is 9-2 and we are 6-5.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We know what they are going to do. It's football 101. KSU is going to try and pound the ball. If we give them extra drives off turnovers and cannot maintain our share of drives (no drive killing penalties) our defense will wear down and we will lose. load the box and force Klein to beat us with his arm. On offense, I say we try and do the same thing to them. A steady dose of Woody and Barnett runs. I have trouble believing the team that wins the time of possession won't win the game.

A month are so ago I would have thought this was a very bad matchup for us. Our defense is playing much better lately. The pressure will be on the offense. Pretty simple. IF we don't turm the ball over and avoid the three and outs we will hang in there. I have trouble believing there is a huge difference in talent between the two teams.

There is not a team or a fanbase on the schedule that I would rather beat than KSU.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

I know it won't help the stats very much, but the one TO in the A&M game was on the first play with Jantz starting. If Barnett would have started, that TO would not be there.

But then again, who's to say they wouldn't have turned it over on the first drive