Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Oklahoma versus ISU: what do you think

There was some real disappointments tonight, but I sure like the look of Finch who never gave up. Also, good efforts from Terukina and Boaz. They worked hard and kept it up to the end. I felt badly for Gadsen; the shoulder was clearly an issue in his match. So, disappointing to lose, but KJ has some wrestlers who are prepared to fight to the end. I saw a lot of promise for the future - and its great to watch Sorensen.

What did other people see.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Oklahoma versus ISU: what do you think

Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    There was some real disappointments tonight, but I sure like the look of Finch who never gave up. Also, good efforts from Terukina and Boaz. They worked hard and kept it up to the end. I felt badly for Gadsen; the shoulder was clearly an issue in his match. So, disappointing to lose, but KJ has some wrestlers who are prepared to fight to the end. I saw a lot of promise for the future - and its great to watch Sorensen.

What did other people see.
    Yea - Finch, Terukina, and Boaz looked good in the effort department but reality is our light weights were totally out wrestled! Basically the 1st 5 weight classes were won the same way by OU wrestlers - get legs in and tilt for points! OU put on a clinic in those matches when it comes to wrestling from the top position. Bad for Gadsen but he should have not been out there anyway. He threw 1 move got taken down, hurt and then tried wrestling with 1 arm from there - very disappointing(Shafer maybe not great but wouldn't have quit). My biggest disappoint was Spangler, he came out and wrestled like a champ in the 1st period and then absolutely tanked the next 2 periods and was lucky to escape with a victory. Jackson needs to get these guys better conditioned and more aggressive. Hope he can!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 143

The next two recruiting classes better be great or we are toast.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiot View Post
    Yea - Finch, Terukina, and Boaz looked good in the effort department but reality is our light weights were totally out wrestled! Basically the 1st 5 weight classes were won the same way by OU wrestlers - get legs in and tilt for points! OU put on a clinic in those matches when it comes to wrestling from the top position. Bad for Gadsen but he should have not been out there anyway. He threw 1 move got taken down, hurt and then tried wrestling with 1 arm from there - very disappointing(Shafer maybe not great but wouldn't have quit). My biggest disappoint was Spangler, he came out and wrestled like a champ in the 1st period and then absolutely tanked the next 2 periods and was lucky to escape with a victory. Jackson needs to get these guys better conditioned and more aggressive. Hope he can!!
    Great post RedRiot! I agree with your analysis. Feel bad about Gadsen, but didn't think he was ready to live wrestle. IMO Shafer has made progress and keeps fighting. Spangler is rusty in conditioning due to knee injury but I think he will be good to go by midlands. I really feel that overall ISU's conditioning is not where it needs to be. (I know, I've said that before). Cozart's match was painful for me to watch.....I know they are young, but KJ really needs to get on the mat with these kids and work with them on getting off bottom. Our guys seem to be trying to catch up during the matches and are not the agressors in most cases. I'm hoping that this will change for the Iowa dual.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

I agree on Gadsen; based on KJ's comments, he was half expecting this to happen, which makes me wonder....

As for Spangler, I tend to be sympathetic because of injuries and the effect this has on match conditioning.

Also agree with RedRiot. OU countered our takedowns very effectively, where most of our guys - especially lower weight classes - did not. But still, I liked the effort. I am confident that in a couple of years, we will have some strength there.

Thoughts on KJ's yelling? When I wrestled, 100 years ago, I hated my coaches yelling, and responded to the quiet guys a lot more; they seemed to have more confidence in their wrestlers. If a wrestler doesn't know what to do when he is on the mat, it's too late for the coach to teach him - and he shouldn't be out there; if he does know what to do, the yelling is a distraction. But, I guess it's up to the wrestlers - what they prefer. On 12/4, we'll hear lots of yelling.....

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    We are great everyone just needs to be patience.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post

They look good on paper but keep in mind the powers that be in NCAA wrestling all hung up classes every bit as good or better the past few years. Iowa's class 2 years ago and their current class could make for a sick team a few years down the road.

The point: We could improve tremendously yet still be out of the top 5.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    I agree on Gadsen; based on KJ's comments, he was half expecting this to happen, which makes me wonder....

As for Spangler, I tend to be sympathetic because of injuries and the effect this has on match conditioning.

Also agree with RedRiot. OU countered our takedowns very effectively, where most of our guys - especially lower weight classes - did not. But still, I liked the effort. I am confident that in a couple of years, we will have some strength there.

Thoughts on KJ's yelling? When I wrestled, 100 years ago, I hated my coaches yelling, and responded to the quiet guys a lot more; they seemed to have more confidence in their wrestlers. If a wrestler doesn't know what to do when he is on the mat, it's too late for the coach to teach him - and he shouldn't be out there; if he does know what to do, the yelling is a distraction. But, I guess it's up to the wrestlers - what they prefer. On 12/4, we'll hear lots of yelling.....

I guess I would have to default to KJ and assume he knows what's best for motivating his wrestlers!? It seemed as though he's was just as frustrated as many of the fans that day which is somewhat alarming considering he should know better than anyone their skill levels...so did they wrestle below potential or is KJ not in touch with his wrestlers?? I think he's a good coach and the team is young so I'm excited about the future but just hope it's going in the right direction!!

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 73

It might be similiar to KJ and Ward situation last year. When KJ got so frustrated with Jerome and lost control, he quit sitting in the corner and he EV coach him. I'm sure he is frustrated with the luck he's having this season. He doesn't mask it very well and that's just his personality. Not sure what effect it is having on the wrestlers, probably depends more on how he addresses it after the meet and practice the next day.