Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CyBer

3G Vs. 4G, 300MB Vs. 2 GB

Help me out techies, I'm wanting to get a "smart" phone, but I don't know which one to get. I'm looking at the Samsung Illusion as it is free with my upgrade. It's a 3G phone, but my main question would be: How slow is 3G compared to 4G and will it **** me off that I don't have "blazing fast speeds" instead of OK speeds? Also how much data do you normally use? I'm not wanting to pay 30 dollars a month, so I want to do the 300MB plan which is cheaper. Is this a good idea? I don't know how much data I use (especially on a phone).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,642
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 59

Re: 3G Vs. 4G, 300MB Vs. 2 GB

If you plan on using the internet everyday 300MB will not be enough

CyBer

I don't know how much I would use it, as I've never had internet on my phone.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 22

First question is does our provider have 4G in your area? I got about 3mbps down on 3G and 12mbps on 4G. It makes a difference if you are doing a lot of internet surfing. For texts and email, you won't really notice.

CyBer

I'm in Ames if that helps, also, comparing the
    HTC - DROID Incredible 2

to the samsung illusion which one would be better?

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thus far both of the phones you mention are 3G phones... As someone mentioned the speeds between 3G & 4G are definitely discernible when doing things on the web w/ a difference of 1-3mbps & 8-12mbps.

I can't be 100% sure on this, but I believe both the Illusion and Inc2 require a data plan of at least 2GB on the contract at a price of $30 per month (we are talking Verizon here right?)

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    Thus far both of the phones you mention are 3G phones... As someone mentioned the speeds between 3G & 4G are definitely discernible when doing things on the web w/ a difference of 1-3mbps & 8-12mbps.

I can't be 100% sure on this, but I believe both the Illusion and Inc2 require a data plan of at least 2GB on the contract at a price of $30 per month (we are talking Verizon here right?)
    Yeah we are talking Verizon, however I spoke with a rep and they said 300MB minimum for Illusion, not sure about the HTC

CyBer

Just checked they are both 300.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Yeah we are talking Verizon, however I spoke with a rep and they said 300MB minimum for Illusion, not sure about the HTC
    Wasn't aware that was even a 300MB plan available on monthly bills... Most of their literature states that all smartphones require a 2GB data package or higher.

CyBer

Wasn't aware that was even a 300MB plan available on monthly bills... Most of their literature states that all smartphones require a 2GB data package or higher.
    Yeah I wasn't either, and I thought 2GB was the minimum, however that is not the case.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah I wasn't either, and I thought 2GB was the minimum, however that is not the case.
    Interesting, what is the cost of the 300MB plan per month?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

I don't know how much I would use it, as I've never had internet on my phone.
    Be prepared for the possibility you will want to use it a lot.

I didn't upgrade my phone for years and years, and then when I did, it was a smartphone it did all this extra stuff (an HTC Incredible with Verizon). When I was trying to gauge usage the sales rep was like, well, based on my then limited usage, a lot of cheaper plans were an option, even a prepaid. And it was. When I got a smartphone though, I was like whoa, and using for all this stuff I might otherwise have done on my computer. Even to just play around and figure out all the things on it, what works better there versus a real computer, requires some usage.

I am on the unlimited data plan, which was the requirement when I got it. I don't know how much I use each month too precisely as a result, though that information is available online. It shows I am currently at 2.5 GBs, 20 days into my current billing cycle (that is 2/3rd the way in). I think that is probably higher than usual since I watched a TV show or two and some YouTube videos recently and listened to a podcast or two. Just checking news, email, CF, surfing a lot etc. maybe it is more like 2.0 GB for the whole month, just guessing, but I think I recall it being as high as 4 or 5 GB.

I don't know how their current plans work, but you should ask if you can change it month to month. That would make it easier to increase or decrease later based on your actual usage.

You will probably need more than 300 MB unless there is some reason you just think you won't use the internet on it that much.

CyBer

Interesting, what is the cost of the 300MB plan per month?
    20 dollars instead of 30, I know it might not sound like much but I'm ok with paying less for far less haha.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by Clone83 View Post
    Be prepared for the possibility you will want to use it a lot.

I didn't upgrade my phone for years and years, and then when I did, it was a smartphone it did all this extra stuff (an HTC Incredible with Verizon). When I was trying to gauge usage the sales rep was like, well, based on my then limited usage, a lot of cheaper plans were an option, even a prepaid. And it was. When I got a smartphone though, I was like whoa, and using for all this stuff I might otherwise have done on my computer. Even to just play around and figure out all the things on it, what works better there versus a real computer, requires some usage.

I am on the unlimited data plan, which was the requirement when I got it. I don't know how much I use each month too precisely as a result, though that information is available online. It shows I am currently at 2.5 GBs, 20 days into my current billing cycle (that is 2/3rd the way in). I think that is probably higher than usual since I watched a TV show or two and some YouTube videos recently and listened to a podcast or two. Just checking news, email, CF, surfing a lot etc. maybe it is more like 2.0 GB for the whole month, just guessing, but I think I recall it being as high as 4 or 5 GB.

I don't know how their current plans work, but you should ask if you can change it month to month. That would make it easier to increase or decrease later based on your actual usage.

You will probably need more than 300 MB unless there is some reason you just think you won't use the internet on it that much.
    Thanks for the info, the only time I would use the internet (most likely) is to check movie times, or google things that I am arguing about with someone haha.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Thanks for the info, the only time I would use the internet (most likely) is to check movie times, or google things that I am arguing about with someone haha.
    The minimum may be enough. With Verizon, you might be able to change that month to month, which makes it a lot easier.

At the levels below a smartphone, at the time I got mine, that is how it worked.