Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 126

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies pull away from Butler for win

Finally, the green light turned on and the ladies returned to form. While a 15 point first half lead seemed to indicate everything was going better, it was a 13-0 run in the middle of the second half that finally capped the game for the Sisters as they went on to win 64-44.

The game started in good fashion as Pop scored inside and Moody hit a three to pace the ladies to a 5-0 lead. Yet halfway through the first stanza points were hard to come by as Butler actually led (their only lead of the night) 10-9 at the halfway mark. Nine points just doesnít quite cut it in 10 minutes of play folks. It was then that Moody and Pop took over. The freshman apparently found her deep shot as she made two more three pointers and Pop powered inside for 10 points and two free throws. That is what you call dominating play by our intense post.

The first half was marred by too many turnovers (8) and this would continue into the second half (more on that later). It was not a one person show either. While Moody led the way, everyone from Harris to Pop to Big C turned it over. There were messy or lazy passes, mishandled receipt of passes, poor ball handling, etc. This is something that I am sure Coach F. will get corrected as he has zero tolerance for this type of error. Obviously the half time speech didnít help much as the Sisters let Butler creep back into the game from a fifteen point deficit to only 8 on a couple of occasions. It was again a team effort as four different players lost the ball during the first 5 minutes of the half. MessyÖjust messy.

The bright spot was seeing Kelsey Harris provide some outside scoring spark when Butler was battling back. She nailed a couple of three pointers to hold them at bay when no one else could find the hoop. That was when the ladies in red turned it on for that 13-0 run. Harris continued to hit from deep. Moody added another 3 pointer. Pop scored inside. As much as the turnovers were a team effort, this run was stirred by defense that held Butler at bay, but also didnít allow for second shots. ISU led by 24 and the subs would finish the game.

One small observation. This year when the subs are given a chance to play I havenít seen too many big leads get blown. Only once has Fennelly seen poor play that forced him to react. Tonight, the subs did what they needed to do and held the lead at 20 through defensive effort. The offense wasnít pretty, but defense wins ball games. Good practice for the bench.

So what was good about this game? For one, Pop came back after a poor shooting night to dominate this game on the boards and in points. How about 10-13 from the field and 3-4 at the line? Add to that 12 boards and you have my player of the game. Four fouls are almost expected due to her hard nosed play, but this is the one area Iíd like to see cleaned up. Minor picky thing there on my part. My other player of the game was Kelsey Harris. She had a career high in points with 12 all from behind the arc. This is the type of presence we need from her. The potential is there, she just has to keep working at it. Her three pointers in the second half came at a critical juncture and held off a charging Butler team. Very nice.

Moody continues to be the Jekyl-Hyde of the team. She makes some great passes, hit some nice shots from deep, and runs at high speed all the time. Fifteen points on 5-7 shooting is not a bad night. The downside that comes with her are some bad turnovers. Up until this tournament she had been operating at a high level with a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio. Not this weekend. You could pretty much reverse those numbers and all of a sudden you have a point guard not doing her job. Only 2 assists tonight (after getting 1 last night) and 4 turnovers. This is her area to improve or she will be seeing the bench more. I honestly think Bill will sacrifice scoring to get someone in that will take care of the ball. So you would guess the bulk of the assists tonight had to come from Loz or Cole. Wrong.

Iím really loving Jess so far this year. She is showing what I felt was there just waiting to come out last year. She battles every bit as hard as Pop does when she is on the court. She is a defensive stopper. She didnít score as much tonight as I like to see, but those 8 assists were huge. She clearly was seeing the open player.

The rest of our guard court is a paradox. Just as you think that Loz has found her shot she throws up some bricks to make you scratch your head again. At least she isnít afraid to keep shooting the three in the hope of busting through this slump she is experiencing so far this year. As the coaches preach, shooters have to shoot. Anyone remember the Wisconsin-Green Bay game a couple of years ago when Bolte couldnít hit anythingÖexcept the winning basket? Coleís minutes have steadily fallen as other players have filled the gap and tonight was no different as she logged only 8 minutes, but did what she was supposed to doÖtake care of the ball.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment (and itís hard to refer to her as this) in the tournament has been Big-C. Her outside shot disappeared in a flash. Couldnít hit last night and tonight was no different. One for 6 from the field and good for a half dozen boards. The rebounding is critical but everyone, including myself, was hoping she would be the big scorer on the team this year. Hard to say what is happening right now, I am confident she will right the ship. No time like the present as there are two very tough games on the horizon.

It was nice to see Zimm get some quality playing time tonight. No more clean-up time at the end of the game. She got in and got some good experience with the starting crew tonight. Iím hoping she is working into game shape and can continue to be a solid contributor as she has in the past.

Amazing stat of the night. After being hacked like we were a pine tree in front of a logger last night, the ladies only shot 6, yes SIX, free throws tonight. Only Jess and Pop got to the line. Four of 6 isnít horrid, but come on. This squad gets 6 opportunities in their sleep. The reason? I think it was the dependency on the outside game. Butler played a match-up zone and forced us to use our deep game. While Pop obviously had some success, we didnít see much hard driving down the lane that usually creates fouls. Probably (hopefully) just an aberration. Fennelly always says he wants us to make more free throws than the other team attempts. That didnít happen tonight.

So, the ladies have moved to 4-1 on the season. Not bad for this young group as they have learned some valuable lessons away from home. They now have a week to get ready for another Big-10 school as they travel to Michigan next weekend. Michigan is pretty much the same type of team as last year as they are led by senior guard Veronica Hicks who is only a hair over 100 points from hitting 1000 in her career. Like ISU, Michigan is depending on four freshmen to contribute to their success. Should be an interesting game and another tough challenge for our team as Iowa lurks around the corner 3 days later.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies pull away from Butler for win

Hey....thanks a lot. Great, Great analysis. It takes some time to sit put all of that down in a post and I really appreciate it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 48

Beautiful write up!

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

Didn't Hallie get hurt in the shoot-around before Penn State, but still played? That may have had something to do with her shooting this weekend.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Hopefully, this game is a preview of Jess getting strong assist numbers all year with certain defenses. She is a threat to drive and/or pull up. So the defense cannot give that to her and cannot cheat off of her. She is a good passer. With teammates making shots, as Pop, Harris, and Moody did (19 of 25!), then Jess is in a great position get some assists.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    Didn't Hallie get hurt in the shoot-around before Penn State, but still played? That may have had something to do with her shooting this weekend.
    She got hurt in their last practice before they left for Reno. She wore a boot up until she practiced again which was the day before they played Penn State, and she just practiced part of the time.

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I like what I saw from Harris. I like that Williamson and Harris both had good nights during this tournaments. Hopefully they can continue to play strong now.

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Cous,

Thanks for detailed write-up - great as usual for us die hard WBB fans.