Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 20

Anyone ever had an OPPO Player?

OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Reviews are very good, as they should be for how expensive they are. Just wondered if they're worth it.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 17

Re: Anyone ever had an OPPO Player?

Never heard of them. What's so good about the players? Reminds me of a long time ago when CD Players were coming on the market and how expensive they were :D

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,143
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Never heard of them. What's so good about the players? Reminds me of a long time ago when CD Players were coming on the market and how expensive they were :D
    Yea, I just ran across them, they sell them on Amazon and have almost all good reviews, seem to be like the Apple of Blu-ray players, don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing lol.

But, I am looking for a decent 3D Blu-ray player. Samsung doesn't have many quality players.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 751

They are great but unless you are a videophile it won't be worth your money. They are kind of the gold standard but so few people could tell the difference. If you have an LCD don't bother.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    They are great but unless you are a videophile it won't be worth your money. They are kind of the gold standard but so few people could tell the difference. If you have an LCD don't bother.
    lol, I have an LED!

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

By the high end audio/video community OPPO Players are considered bargains as they give you high-end performance at a price that is only a small portion of the cost of high-end players. They also play almost any audio format that you can think of versus just playing Blu-Rays, DVDs, and CDs.

They come highly recommended, if you have the system to make use of the high-resolution audio output. If you have a system that is made up of a TV, receiver, and speakers that tops out at a couple of thousand dollars, you won't hear the difference between a high quality OPPO player versus a $50.00 player. In addition, if you are viewing on a 30-inch or smaller screen the quality of the video reproduction won't be obvious. If you are using a HD front projector on a 100-inch screen, the high quality video scaling and cadence correction provided in the OPPO unit will show versus a $50 player.

Think of it this way - you wouldn't notice the difference between a $70 all-season tire and a $250 performance tire on a Toyota Corolla, but the performance results between the two on a BMW M5 would be very noticeable.

If you are just looking for a player that can provide excellent playback of Blu-Ray discs and digital format audio to a receiver that will decode the digital signal, I would recommend a Sony PS3....you get the Blu-Ray player with a bonus game system. However, if you have a large library of DVDs, the PS3 does not do a very good job with the scaling required for a DVD.

In any case, buy to the level of the system you are playing the back on and if very high quality audio is not part of your system and you have a smaller TV screen, skip the OPPO and go to a lower cost player. If you have the system to take advantage of the quality of the OPPO, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

BTW - I own an OPPO BDP-95 and love it.

Mike

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by OPCyclone View Post
    By the high end audio/video community OPPO Players are considered bargains as they give you high-end performance at a price that is only a small portion of the cost of high-end players. They also play almost any audio format that you can think of versus just playing Blu-Rays, DVDs, and CDs.

They come highly recommended, if you have the system to make use of the high-resolution audio output. If you have a system that is made up of a TV, receiver, and speakers that tops out at a couple of thousand dollars, you won't hear the difference between a high quality OPPO player versus a $50.00 player. In addition, if you are viewing on a 30-inch or smaller screen the quality of the video reproduction won't be obvious. If you are using a HD front projector on a 100-inch screen, the high quality video scaling and cadence correction provided in the OPPO unit will show versus a $50 player.

Think of it this way - you wouldn't notice the difference between a $70 all-season tire and a $250 performance tire on a Toyota Corolla, but the performance results between the two on a BMW M5 would be very noticeable.

If you are just looking for a player that can provide excellent playback of Blu-Ray discs and digital format audio to a receiver that will decode the digital signal, I would recommend a Sony PS3....you get the Blu-Ray player with a bonus game system. However, if you have a large library of DVDs, the PS3 does not do a very good job with the scaling required for a DVD.

In any case, buy to the level of the system you are playing the back on and if very high quality audio is not part of your system and you have a smaller TV screen, skip the OPPO and go to a lower cost player. If you have the system to take advantage of the quality of the OPPO, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

BTW - I own an OPPO BDP-95 and love it.

Mike
    So the PS3 doesn't play standard DVD's in good quality?

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 16

I generally always buy into the newest technology (many times as a poor choice) but I am really hoping the 3D fad passes soon. I can't stand watching 3D movies in theaters or home. It just seems exceptionally gimmicky to me. Unless we get to a point of a truly holographic 3D technology, I'll stick with X and Y and pass on the artificial Z.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yea, I wouldn't watch every movie 3D, I just would like to watch 3 or 4 of them.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 34

We have an Oppo HD dvd player when Blu Ray and HD dvd's were still battling it out. It seems to be a fine product, but not any better than any other disc player I've seen.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 751

Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    I generally always buy into the newest technology (many times as a poor choice) but I am really hoping the 3D fad passes soon. I can't stand watching 3D movies in theaters or home. It just seems exceptionally gimmicky to me. Unless we get to a point of a truly holographic 3D technology, I'll stick with X and Y and pass on the artificial Z.
    +1

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 173

I purchased an Oppo BD-93 because I wanted a reference disc player that would fit in nicely with the rest of my system. I went with the 93, because the bench tests on the AV fourms showed the same video output between the 93 and 95. The 95 has some really nice audio options, but for the time being, I'm just putting through to HDMI and letting the receiver act as my processing unit.

The picture quality is unbelievable. I also have a PS3, and yes, the up-scaling on DVD movies is horrible...at least on my system.

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    I purchased an Oppo BD-93 because I wanted a reference disc player that would fit in nicely with the rest of my system. I went with the 93, because the bench tests on the AV fourms showed the same video output between the 93 and 95. The 95 has some really nice audio options, but for the time being, I'm just putting through to HDMI and letting the receiver act as my processing unit.

The picture quality is unbelievable. I also have a PS3, and yes, the up-scaling on DVD movies is horrible...at least on my system.
    I bought the 95 to take advantage of the analog output quality on CD reproduction (my CD player gave out and I needed to replace it also), and the ability to stream from Blockbuster and Netflix. I don't even use the 3D capability and I also think 3D will be a passing fad.

DVD's from my son's PS3 are also very poor on my system. It does not do a good job on DVD's, but is great on Blu-Rays.

On some systems you can notice the difference between various CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc. players; however, you must also have your system properly calibrated on each component (video settings, audio settings, speaker placement, room treatments, etc.).

I had a friend who purchased a new TV and said it was no better than the one he replaced it with. I visited his house and he had the video set to maximum contrast, brightness, etc. with no control of lighting on the room. I adjusted his set closer to the proper settings, and moved hi TV slightly to take advantage of the room lighting conditions and the quality form the TV was night and day. Similar thing with his sound system, which was out of balance relative to speaker calibration. He had a very modest system, but with a little work it improved dramatically.

Go Clones - go get the Sooners!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So I would get a PS3, but it doesn't have an audio out?? No surround sound?