Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

GIS Question

I have a question for any GIS experts out there. I am currently working as a civil engineering tech. and wanting to get into GIS. Just looking for some good websites to get some self teaching. I have browsed on the ESRI website at some seminars, but am looking for any firsthand experience. THANKS!

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: GIS Question

Avoid web mercator.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,062
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 38

Well, ESRI has the market cornered so I would stick with them. There are a lot of directions to go with GIS, do you know what you want to use it for? If you have any interest in it I would recommend learning ArcGIS server (both the database stuff and the web stuff). This will come in handy when looking for careers as this is the direction of the industry. If you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android) you can download the ArcGIS app. You can also play around with ArcGIS Explorer (it's free and online).

You can really do some cool spatial and 3D modeling with the software. You might have to start off as a digislave though, which kinda sucks. But you will gain a great understanding of the nuts and bolts of the software this way.

Prospect
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    Well, ESRI has the market cornered so I would stick with them. There are a lot of directions to go with GIS, do you know what you want to use it for? If you have any interest in it I would recommend learning ArcGIS server (both the database stuff and the web stuff). This will come in handy when looking for careers as this is the direction of the industry. If you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android) you can download the ArcGIS app. You can also play around with ArcGIS Explorer (it's free and online).

You can really do some cool spatial and 3D modeling with the software. You might have to start off as a digislave though, which kinda sucks. But you will gain a great understanding of the nuts and bolts of the software this way.
    Thanks for the advice! I just downloaded ArcGIS explorer and am playing around with that. I'm looking to set something up for a relatives business and he might possibly offer me a permanent job if I become proficient enough. So I figured its worth a shot. I already have a ton of CAD and Civil experience, so hopefully I can catch on. Thanks again!

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

I'm on a project now that has a lot of GIS..I ended up making my own ArcGIS equivalent for certain features for the project because we didn't want to spend $50,000/year on ESRI or whatever. It worked out, but yeah...waste of time for that when we could have bought a system outright.

ESRI and ArcGIS for sure. Learn about shapefiles and all that **** too and KML.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyville55 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I just downloaded ArcGIS explorer and am playing around with that. I'm looking to set something up for a relatives business and he might possibly offer me a permanent job if I become proficient enough. So I figured its worth a shot. I already have a ton of CAD and Civil experience, so hopefully I can catch on. Thanks again!
    If you have CAD experience that will help in some areas of GIS. But just remember that they have their big differences also - especially dealing with map projections and coordinate systems. GIS data is moving towards sql server and other rdbms's too. Good luck!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    I'm on a project now that has a lot of GIS..I ended up making my own ArcGIS equivalent for certain features for the project because we didn't want to spend $50,000/year on ESRI or whatever. It worked out, but yeah...waste of time for that when we could have bought a system outright.

ESRI and ArcGIS for sure. Learn about shapefiles and all that **** too and KML.
    That's a lot of money per year. You must have really been getting a lot of software from them. A small CE company wouldn't need to spend anywhere near that.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    That's a lot of money per year. You must have really been getting a lot of software from them. A small CE company wouldn't need to spend anywhere near that.
    Ha yes, I work for one of the largest companies in the world. They always try and procure a large package. We have used ESRI for other projects, but for this we did not want to.

We ended up making our own system for coordinate based mapping (i.e. shape files, landmarks) and tying it with data "tagged" for those locations. Only took a few weeks actually and works pretty well.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by Cyville55 View Post
    I have a question for any GIS experts out there. I am currently working as a civil engineering tech. and wanting to get into GIS. Just looking for some good websites to get some self teaching. I have browsed on the ESRI website at some seminars, but am looking for any firsthand experience. THANKS!
    I only know enough about ArcGIS to be dangerous... I can use it to find data which I am constantly doing as many of our clients have extensive utility mapping in GIS. We only have a few licenses at my office and just a few Engineers have it on their computer. But I can tell you this: as a Tech getting to know GIS is a great idea, our GIS Tech is always busy and its great job security knowing something other than AutoCad... plus it is becoming more popular all the time as municipalities are working to take inventory of their systems.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 92

If you don't want to pay for ArcGIS, check out QGIS, which is an open-source GIS that can provide most of the services that ArcGIS does. Open-source products generally have less documentation, but a good web forum is as helpful as anything. I would echo the poster who suggested learning to use ArcServer and add that learning to ******/code using the Python language is becoming the name of the game. Working with a GIS is like unpeeling the layers of an onion- after a few hours you can make a map, but there are so many layers of complexity to learn. Good luck!

'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

Prospect
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will definately look into each one. One of the reasons, other than the potential job offer, is because of the gaining popularity of GIS. I have noticed that a lot of companies are starting to benefit from it in some way.