Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Time for new starting line-up?

For many reasons, I think it is time for a new starting line-up. IMHO, the combo of Allen, Babb, White, Booker, plus McGee looked the best last night. I think they should start and see how Ejim and Scotty do coming off the bench. CFH has been trying many combos during the first couple of games, but it looks like last year's scout team shows they played a year together.

I also thought Percy showed he will be a contributor this year and should be part of the rotation come conference time.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 84

Re: Time for new starting line-up?

I like your thinking. There are some guys on the team who need a wake-up call. I personally liked the Booker and Gibson combo better than White and Ejim. Maybe White was just having an especially lazy night, but I have yet to see him put a body on anyone before they get to the basket.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by pdxclone View Post
    For many reasons, I think it is time for a new starting line-up. IMHO, the combo of Allen, Babb, White, Booker, plus McGee looked the best last night. I think they should start and see how Ejim and Scotty do coming off the bench. CFH has been trying many combos during the first couple of games, but it looks like last year's scout team shows they played a year together.

I also thought Percy showed he will be a contributor this year and should be part of the rotation come conference time.
    Ironically...just posted a similar thread over on the Confidential board...great minds think alike!

My starting five was:

White - (honestly, just too damn good to bench for more than a game or two)
    Gibson - raw, but playing time will smooth the rough edges and he's shows promise.
    Babb - most consistent player and best defender
    Allen - May be the best player on the team...still getting his feet under him though.
    Mcgee - tremendous effort guy, decent ball handler, GREAT shooter.

Booker, Ejim and Christopherson make for a tremendous boost off the bench and all might perform better in that 6th man role than they have as starters. IMHO.

Recruit
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I agree, I love Scotty but he had trouble against the press handling the ball and can seem like a liablility on D. And Booker played hard and is a physical presence. More than I can say for White...I also agree that White had a lazy night! He has shown me nothing except a ton of ability when he wants to but an indifference for the majority of his time on the floor. It's sickening, like when he got beat on D down low last night but recovered to make the block...in about a second he showed his nonchalant attitude and then his incredible ablility in a blink of the eye. I just think that with his past and his (Cardinal &) Golden opportunity he has here he would play with a little more intensity and fire. IMO, for him to mope and sulk and play half hearted it only will perpetuate the image you would think he is trying to leave behind him in Minneapolis.

I think he has the potential to go as far as he wants to go but his attitude has frustrated me so far...

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Turn2 View Post
    I like your thinking. There are some guys on the team who need a wake-up call. I personally liked the Booker and Gibson combo better than White and Ejim. Maybe White was just having an especially lazy night, but I have yet to see him put a body on anyone before they get to the basket.
    Need to establish a low post game, both defensively and offensively.

Rebounds per minute played:
    White 0.29
    Gibson 0.28
    Booker 0.27
    Ejim 0.26

Blocks per minute played:
    White 0.06
    Gibson 0.06
    Booker 0.05
    Ejim 0.03

Points per minute played:
    White 0.54
    Gibson 0.44
    Booker 0.36
    Ejim 0.38

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 510

White is going to be "lazy" unless properly motivated. I don't see him being particularly motivated against these lesser teams. I hope he brings it against some of the better teams...it may just be the way he is.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    White is going to be "lazy" unless properly motivated. I don't see him being particularly motivated against these lesser teams. I hope he brings it against some of the better teams...it may just be the way he is.

I had this thought also...But as the old adage goes, you play how you practice. If you go by the fact that these non-conference games are a warmup or practice for the conference schedule then he isn't "practicing" very well. I would rather have a guy that plays hard every game and is less talented than a guy that plays when he wants to but has all the talent in the world. I know that sounds like cliche BS but that's my stance...I just want to shake the kid and tell him that he is blessed to have this second chance and that he should show his gratitude for it by playing hard and doing all he can to grow not only as a player but as a person. Obviously I don't know him on a personal level so I can't say he isn't trying to do so in his daily life but he hasn't shown it on the floor.

I have a friend that had dinner with him for a Cyclone Club function and he said he's a great kid and he had nothing but good things to say. Just thought I'd throw that in since I feel like I've been kind of piling it on him...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 510

There are lots of talented basketball players that aren't as motivated as Joe Fan thinks they should be. Everyone is wired differently.

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 485

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    Ironically...just posted a similar thread over on the Confidential board...great minds think alike!

My starting five was:

White - (honestly, just too damn good to bench for more than a game or two)
    Gibson - raw, but playing time will smooth the rough edges and he's shows promise.
    Babb - most consistent player and best defender
    Allen - May be the best player on the team...still getting his feet under him though.
    Mcgee - tremendous effort guy, decent ball handler, GREAT shooter.

Booker, Ejim and Christopherson make for a tremendous boost off the bench and all might perform better in that 6th man role than they have as starters. IMHO.
    Ultimately, looks like 8 or 9 players will get significant minutes. You can only start five. I wonder if the lackluster results so far is due in part because Fred is trying to the strongest starting unit with the best players to use off the bench.

I think you need the most productive five (as a whole) to start, and if 6th & 7th get high minutes and are players who are capable of being starters, then you have the advantage of depth. If a coach also knows how to reshuffle the lineup (either the starting five or in-game) based on an opponent, that's also an advantage.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 20

I thought McGee played some great defense especially compared to the rest of the team. I'd love to see more minutes from him.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There are lots of talented basketball players that aren't as motivated as Joe Fan thinks they should be. Everyone is wired differently.

Thank you for making another excuse for Royce...It's a shame that he is hopelessly "wired" in a way that will ensure his being an underachiever. If we as humans in general were forever victims to the mental and emotional issues we either inherited or formed through our actions countless people would be consigned to a life of depression, addiction, laziness ect...Thankfully this is not the case. I for one am convinced that we have the choice to change our "wiring". For Royce to be given a pass because he is "wired" this way is a shame! It is a gift from God to be 6'9" and athletic, it is a personal choice to dive after a loose ball. It is a choice to run hard and get back on defense. It is a choice to box out. It is a choice to show through actions our gratitude for the blessings that have been given to us.

With all that said, I hope he will prove me wrong! I've been wrong before and there has even been a few times that I enjoyed being wrong:-) This would be one of them.

Sincerely,

Joe Fan

Last edited by tigerclone924; 11-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 34

Id like to see us play two bigs more often, instead of playing Ejim and Babb at the 4, who aren't bigs.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by tigerclone924 View Post
    Thank you for making another excuse for Royce...It's a shame that he is hopelessly "wired" in a way that will ensure his being an underachiever. If we as humans in general were forever victims to the mental and emotional issues we either inherited or formed through our actions countless people would be consigned to a life of depression, addiction, laziness ect...Thankfully this is not the case. I for one am convinced that we have the choice to change our "wiring". For Royce to be given a pass because he is "wired" this way is a shame! It is a gift from God to be 6'9" and athletic, it is a personal choice to dive after a loose ball. It is a choice to run hard and get back on defense. It is a choice to box out. It is a choice to show through actions our gratitude for the blessings that have been given to us.

With all that said, I hope he will prove me wrong! I've been wrong before and there has even been a few times that I enjoyed being wrong:-) This would be one of them.

Sincerely,

Joe Fan
    You are wrong. Of course it is far more complex than you and I are discussing it, but I get the sense that doesn't fit in your narrow minded view of the world.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Prospect
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was extremely bothered by last night's performance (on top of the previous games) - hey, we can shoot with anyone, but how about trying to guard someone, block out, and get a rebound?! The fact that Freddie seemed incredulous to our lack of hustle/effort is a concern to me. He needs to channel his inner LE and start awarding playing time by effort. If not, we'll win some games at home against mid-tier conference schools because we can outshoot 'em, but no chance on the road or against good Big 12 schools (KU, Baylor, Mizzou, Ok St, Texas by the time conference rolls around, A&M, not sure about K St).

Based on who's shown effort so far, I'd go with this starting line-up for now and work in the other's based on effort they show in practice:

Bubu
    McGee
    Babb
    Ejim
    Gibson

Allen would be first off the bench. I'm sure some will want to coddle White, but until he actually shows some hustle, plays D, and blocks out, he can spend some time by Freddie on the bench. He clearly can be an amazing player, but going through the motions and depending purely on his athletic skill won't cut it against good players/teams.

I don't think Scottie's dogging it, he just can't play the point, or evidently, any D. He'd still probably be my #2 off the bench, as long as he's not playing the point. I'd bring in Booker before White, until Royce shows he'll get after it on the D end. Heck, I'd start Railey if he's the guy showing the most effort.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think it's necessarily lazy, I honestly think that is just his personality type. I think people are looking for this Tyler Hansburough type intensity and Royce just isn't that guy, at least not anymore. I agree though, hopefully Fred lights a fire under him when we start playing better competition.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.