Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: "The Experts"

  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    "The Experts"

    Guy on the show "The Experts" on ESPN just said, "Oklahoma State wen't down in Ames, Iowa to Iowa City." How in the **** do you mess that up? One of these days these so called "experts" won't be messing up our name by calling us the Hawkeyes or just "Iowa". Man that boils my blood.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  2. #2
    Mariner Moose
    Points: 60,267, Level: 76
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    no2cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    3,310
    Points
    60,267
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 577

    Re: "The Experts"

    Agreed--it's annoying.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 75,658, Level: 85
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    5,236
    Points
    75,658
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 410

    Re: "The Experts"

    More wins that get national attention will fix that. CPR is working on it we just have to give him some more time.


    "But let’s see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

    "I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    More wins that get national attention will fix that. CPR is working on it we just have to give him some more time.
    You still shouldn't mess that up if you are getting paid a good chunk of change to know that stuff.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,445, Level: 73
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,660
    Points
    56,445
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 52

    Re: "The Experts"

    Exactly. If your job is to talk about sports, you should know the teams, its not that difficult. That aren't that many teams, especially those in major conferences.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 78,359, Level: 87
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,283
    Points
    78,359
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: "The Experts"

    Well they redeemed themselves with the plays of the week and showing ISU for the last 10 or so seconds showing our highlights and playing CPR in the background.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 26,372, Level: 49
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Sloup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,188
    Points
    26,372
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: "The Experts"

    If I had a nickel every time I called them the Washington Cougars.... I'd have exactly as much money as I do now, because I'm not an idiot.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 864,319, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,879
    Points
    864,319
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 1,529

    Re: "The Experts"

    If we were to look at what they're actually hired for, I don't think we'd see that they're hired for thorough, detailed sports knowledge. These folks are hired for an ability to relate to people through a camera and to consistently encapsulate events and opinions into the time constraints of the TV medium (or written medium, for writers).

    From their perspective, they likely spend most of their day revising and rehearsing what they'll say on TV. Time constraints and expressiveness likely make up the majority of their time. More than likely, that forces them to concentrate mostly on the major teams that make consistent headlines. That hasn't been us. For the most part, most of them haven't had a reason to know that we were here.

    That's probably why we see the same people roll out year after year. They can get that job done.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 278,157, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,454
    Points
    278,157
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 1,580

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    If we were to look at what they're actually hired for, I don't think we'd see that they're hired for thorough, detailed sports knowledge. These folks are hired for an ability to relate to people through a camera and to consistently encapsulate events and opinions into the time constraints of the TV medium (or written medium, for writers).

    From their perspective, they likely spend most of their day revising and rehearsing what they'll say on TV. Time constraints and expressiveness likely make up the majority of their time. More than likely, that forces them to concentrate mostly on the major teams that make consistent headlines. That hasn't been us. For the most part, most of them haven't had a reason to know that we were here.

    That's probably why we see the same people roll out year after year. They can get that job done.
    Normally I would give you that, but this show is called The Experts after all. If you are going to just populate it with some talking heads, don't dub the show that.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 864,319, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,879
    Points
    864,319
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 1,529

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Normally I would give you that, but this show is called The Experts after all. If you are going to just populate it with some talking heads, don't dub the show that.
    If you dub it "talking heads," nobody tunes in. Every show is populate with talking heads. That's just a given.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Walk On
    Points: 8,216, Level: 27
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ist8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    207
    Points
    8,216
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    If we were to look at what they're actually hired for, I don't think we'd see that they're hired for thorough, detailed sports knowledge. These folks are hired for an ability to relate to people through a camera and to consistently encapsulate events and opinions into the time constraints of the TV medium (or written medium, for writers).

    From their perspective, they likely spend most of their day revising and rehearsing what they'll say on TV. Time constraints and expressiveness likely make up the majority of their time. More than likely, that forces them to concentrate mostly on the major teams that make consistent headlines. That hasn't been us. For the most part, most of them haven't had a reason to know that we were here.

    That's probably why we see the same people roll out year after year. They can get that job done.
    I get what you're saying, but I still think that's no excuse. I have a full time job that doesn't include ANY college football, but I can still tell you the mascots of the college teams in the main four conferences. I can also tell you where most of those schools are, and the ones I don't know can be solved by a quick google search. It bugs me that "professionals" are screwing this up when it's such an easy fix.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 864,319, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,879
    Points
    864,319
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 1,529

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by ist8er View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I still think that's no excuse. I have a full time job that doesn't include ANY college football, but I can still tell you the mascots of the college teams in the main four conferences. I can also tell you where most of those schools are, and the ones I don't know can be solved by a quick google search. It bugs me that "professionals" are screwing this up when it's such an easy fix.
    I get that. What I'm saying is that they likely get so focused on being concise that they don't even notice if they make that mistake in their copy. Their editors are probably mostly focused on time and length, so they would miss it.

    It should be easy, but I'd bet that they're more distracted than we give them credit for. I love making fun of them for this stuff, but I know it's easy as a writer focused on one particular thing to miss something else.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post
    If I had a nickel every time I called them the Washington Cougars.... I'd have exactly as much money as I do now, because I'm not an idiot.
    I always call UW "Wazu" so I can't say too much.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 95,970, Level: 96
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,057
    Points
    95,970
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 472

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Guy on the show "The Experts" on ESPN just said, "Oklahoma State wen't down in Ames, Iowa to Iowa City." How in the **** do you mess that up? One of these days these so called "experts" won't be messing up our name by calling us the Hawkeyes or just "Iowa". Man that boils my blood.
    they said "to Iowa City"? (not "to Iowa")

    Saying Iowa instead of Iowa State isn't uncommon. But "City"?

    At least they got the "Ames" part correct. Seems like that'd be more easy to botch than the rest of it.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: "The Experts"

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    they said "to Iowa City"? (not "to Iowa")

    Saying Iowa instead of Iowa State isn't uncommon. But "City"?

    At least they got the "Ames" part correct. Seems like that'd be more easy to botch than the rest of it.
    Exactly. I have no idea how they come up with saying "Iowa City". Whatever. Those guys are probably making over $200,000 a year and they can't get it right. **** on them.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM