Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

enCYCLONEpedia: Thank You

My recollection and vantage point of the biggest win in school history.

EnCYCLONEpedia: Thank You | Cyclone Fanatic

Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Thank You

Nice job encapsulating the elation and meaning of this game for so many Cyclones.

Good work.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 566

Very nice write up. I think the significance of this victory can't be overstated. The win against Nebraska made waves, especially with the post-game speech going viral.

The win at Texas added some legitimacy to Coach's status as a giant killer, and Iowa and TT wins added just a bit more. I think this one cemented his status, and also the national perception that something special is brewing in Ames.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Great write up! Thank you.

Recruit
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

With tickets in hand and my brother on the way to Ames, we were ready for the game Friday night. Around noon, another brother calls and our father, who was already in the hospital, had taken a turn for the worse and the family was urged to come now. I found a home for the tickets and instead of being a part of the festivities we headed to the hospital.

While maintaining a bedside vigil, the nurses graciously turned the game on for us in the lounge. My brothers and I (all ISU grads) took turns checking the game. By 10:30, with my father under heavy medication, we left his room and saw the last half of the 4th quarter and the 2 OTs. When Woody plunged into the end zone, despite the bloodshot eyes and heavy hearts, there were hugs and high fives all around in that lounge. My father is still fighting and may be reaching his "overtime." But those have worked out pretty well for the boys this year so who knows.

On a weekend of much anxiety, for this Cyclone family there was a one brief moment of pure joy. I can echo the sentiment of this article - thank you, Cyclones.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    With tickets in hand and my brother on the way to Ames, we were ready for the game Friday night. Around noon, another brother calls and our father, who was already in the hospital, had taken a turn for the worse and the family was urged to come now. I found a home for the tickets and instead of being a part of the festivities we headed to the hospital.

While maintaining a bedside vigil, the nurses graciously turned the game on for us in the lounge. My brothers and I (all ISU grads) took turns checking the game. By 10:30, with my father under heavy medication, we left his room and saw the last half of the 4th quarter and the 2 OTs. When Woody plunged into the end zone, despite the bloodshot eyes and heavy hearts, there were hugs and high fives all around in that lounge. My father is still fighting and may be reaching his "overtime." But those have worked out pretty well for the boys this year so who knows.

On a weekend of much anxiety, for this Cyclone family there was a one brief moment of pure joy. I can echo the sentiment of this article - thank you, Cyclones.
    Sorry to hear that, prayers go out to your family. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a brief distraction.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 48

I will never forget the faces of Cyclone fans as they wondered around Jack Trice. Ever. Shock, disbelief and smiles the entire time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

killed it Khaal...killed it. Very nice writeup. I second your gratitude towards all involved with a VERY memorable experience that I will never forget.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Awesome article Kirk.

This piece, along with Blum's illustrate why some can view this as much more than "just a game."

The Okie State tragedy the night before and other events make you realize that there are many things much more important than a football game but the game itself is a platform for stories like Kirk's and Danger's where memories are made that will and can never be replaced. Because of that, it's not just a game but a place where we can all forget about the other stuff for a few hours and celebrate with 55,000 of our closest friends.

We are not a needy fanbase, we really don't aspire to be national champions but we have all waited for a feeling like we had on Friday night for a long time. I sit here 4 days later still waiting to be pinched.

On the field after the game as Dad's and Grandpas had their kids and grandkids on their shoulders both smiling ear to ear, you just couldn't help but soak it up. It meant just as much to them as it did their kids and it was hard not to get choked up. That is what it is all about, not the game, but those unscripted moments that can't be put into words.

Great piece, great website, great football TEAM.

Now lets go kick the **** out of OU!

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post

My prayers. Wish you the best!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa State is the perfect example of an underdog. I cannot think of a single team from a big name conference that gets to be a taken as a joke, the step child, the one team that MUST NOT win at all cost. We have never been looked at as a threat. Its nice to see the underdog being talked about on a national radar. If there is a two SEC team NC game this year and BCS blows up next year because of that, it will be Iowa State that broke up the marriage this year and for that, I thank you football Gods!

WE ARE IOWA STATE