Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 91,280, Level: 94
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,870
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    6,364
    Points
    91,280
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 62

    How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    This doesn't seem to get brought up a lot, but it seems like, except for field goals and extra points, this is a pretty extraordinary unit. I'm not even going to mention Kirby, because I think it's obvious he's one of the best out there, but more specifically the return units. It wasn't too long ago that it seemed wwe muffed ever punt return. That's been shored up. And when was the last time we've seen this many big returns on kickoffs in one season? And the thing is, it's not one particular player. It seems like whoever we put back there busts a big runback. Although they're not touchdown returns, I don't think enough people realize what a weapon that's been, especially with a freshman quarterback calling the shots.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 437,710, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,900
    Points
    437,710
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 25

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Kirby would be even better if he could hang a punt at 50 yards rather than kick a line drive at 60 leaving the door open for big returns. Distance isn't everything in punting.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,586, Level: 95
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    93,586
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Agreed. Everytime Jarvis gets a kick return I'm on the edge of my seat thinking this is the time he's going to bust one.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 185,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,391
    Points
    185,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    FG not bad either... Look up Guyers numbers on the year.. At least respectable.

    8-11 FGs and 26/26 on PAT.


    Last edited by ajk4st8; 11-22-2011 at 12:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 14,860, Level: 37
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SCarolinaCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    793
    Points
    14,860
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 52

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    This doesn't seem to get brought up a lot, but it seems like, except for field goals and extra points, this is a pretty extraordinary unit. I'm not even going to mention Kirby, because I think it's obvious he's one of the best out there, but more specifically the return units. It wasn't too long ago that it seemed wwe muffed ever punt return. That's been shored up. And when was the last time we've seen this many big returns on kickoffs in one season? And the thing is, it's not one particular player. It seems like whoever we put back there busts a big runback. Although they're not touchdown returns, I don't think enough people realize what a weapon that's been, especially with a freshman quarterback calling the shots.
    Lenz is gettin' no where near his due for fielding punts. Am concerned with his being out.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 65,635, Level: 79
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 815
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,136
    Points
    65,635
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 44

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    I approve 100% of this thread. Our special teams have been the flat out difference maker for us this year. Hell, last year as well. Our kick-off coverage alone has got to be near the top shelf in the conference. Can't say enough about them.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 69,313, Level: 81
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,421
    Points
    69,313
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 33

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    I approve 100% of this thread. Our special teams have been the flat out difference maker for us this year. Hell, last year as well. Our kick-off coverage alone has got to be near the top shelf in the conference. Can't say enough about them.
    Amen. FG kicking is still an achilles heel (that just reared its ugly head again against OSU), but it was not that long ago that in addition to having poor FG kicking, you would have to hold your breathe everytime we tried to field a punt. I remember the year it got so bad, we sent Blythe in to field punts...except he didn't field them, just watched them land.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,042, Level: 74
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    58,042
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    Amen. FG kicking is still an achilles heel (that just reared its ugly head again against OSU), but it was not that long ago that in addition to having poor FG kicking, you would have to hold your breathe everytime we tried to field a punt. I remember the year it got so bad, we sent Blythe in to field punts...except he didn't field them, just watched them land.
    He was instructed to call a fair catch even if guys where nowhere near him. He was the only one who could catch the ball.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 3,113, Level: 16
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ArchiClone23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    55
    Points
    3,113
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    FG not bad either... Look up Guyers numbers on the year.. At least respectable.

    8-11 FGs and 26/26 on PAT.
    This.


    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 59,161, Level: 75
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,899
    Points
    59,161
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 91

    Re: How good is our non-field goal special teams unit?

    My props go to Matt Morton. The guy may not get any PT at LB, but he has been lights out on return defense. It seems like he is on every tackle and has made some great plays this year.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM