Arkansas kills LSU
    and Oklahoma State kills Oklahoma in a blowout fashion
    and Alabama handles Auburn

Do we see the following:
    1. Arkansas
    2. Alabama
    3. LSU
    4. Oklahoma State

Or do you see LSU drop below Oklahoma State?

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 62

Re: How low does LSU drop?...

I really think any loss by LSU or Alabama will drop them below Oklahoma State in the polls. The big question is whether Arkansas jumps over Oklahoma State with a win over LSU.

I tend to think that the voters will take any excuse they can get to not have two teams from the same conference in the top 2, so LSU losing would probably end up with Alabama at #1 and OSU at #2.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,852
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I really think any loss by LSU or Alabama will drop them below Oklahoma State in the polls. The big question is whether Arkansas jumps over Oklahoma State with a win over LSU.

I tend to think that the voters will take any excuse they can get to not have two teams from the same conference in the top 2, so LSU losing would probably end up with Alabama at #1 and OSU at #2.

I really hope this is how it pans out. In the end, I really don't care who's Nat. Champ if it's not ISU, but the thought of Having an entire month of Hoopla, again, for an LSU Alabama match up, only to see a string of missed field goals really doesn't appeal to me at all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I totally care who goes to NC. I want Okie State to go to NC game. At least we would be the ONLY TEAM that beat them, considering they win out :)

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I really hope this is how it pans out. In the end, I really don't care who's Nat. Champ if it's not ISU, but the thought of Having an entire month of Hoopla, again, for an LSU Alabama match up, only to see a string of missed field goals really doesn't appeal to me at all.
    I agree. I tend to think Oklahoma State would get beat fairly handily, but I think it is best for college football to pit the winner of the two best conferences against each other in the NCG, and it is certainly bad to have a rematch in the NCG.

I would LOVE it if they would add the rule that you have to win your conference to play in the NCG. It just doesn't make any sense that you can win the national title without winning the conference title.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Isn't Arkansas Already ahead of ok state? Ok state needs Arkansas to win and Alabama to lose imo. I think it comes Down to if Human voters want sec rematch will be hard for them to jump a 1 loss sec team

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 568
    Given: 1,299

No way Arkansas is ranked about Bama (unless Bama loses).

No way LSU is lower than #2. They have beaten 6 ranked teams, 4 of them on the road, including Oregon and Bama. They would have to lose to both Arkansas and Georgia to not be in the top 2.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Someone on Twitter said that even if Arkansas wins easily that LSU would still be number one in the BCS because their strength of schedule is so much stronger than anyone elses, including Bama and Arkansas.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

I haven't looked at stuff as closely as I should, so correct me if I'm wrong, but for OSU fans, you want LSU to win out, 'Bama to lose to Auburn, OSU to win out.

That's the scenario that knocks out Arkansas and Alabama and likely (due to strength of conference) moves Okie State back into #2.

An LSU loss seems to magically help all SEC schools w/o knocking LSU out of the game. Arkansas beating LSU doesn't drop LSU out of the rankings far enough: it merely strengthens the possibility of Arkansas or 'Bama playing LSU in the NC!

As usual, though, too much speculation at this point is nuts. There's football yet to be played. If OSU wins Bedlam, that gives them a late season victory over a high computer ranked team, but ISU could ruin that a little, too, by beating the Sooners first.

Simply put, the best case scenario at this point for OSU is a Bama and Arkansas loss this week.

The very lowest LSU would drop in a loss is (I believe) 4th.
    It would leave OSU in 3rd, hoping for Alabama or Arkansas (if they win the SEC west tiebreaker) to lose the SEC Championship! If LSU loses and doesn't drop below 3rd and wins the tiebreaker, they go to SEC Championship. If they win, they would play a one loss 'Bama in the NC. If they lose, then 'Bama and Arkansas would rematch for the Least Interesting NC of All Time. Blech.

Caveat: I'm just winging the scenarios here (because there are too many variables, esp. in the case of a 3-way tie), so take all of this with a grain of salt.

But I'm (fairly) confident that, if you are rooting for OSU to have the best shot at a comeback into the NC, you need to root for LSU and Auburn this weekend. (see also: Blech.)

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Someone on Twitter said that even if Arkansas wins easily that LSU would still be number one in the BCS because their strength of schedule is so much stronger than anyone elses, including Bama and Arkansas.
    I wouldn't be surprised if LSU stayed #1 in the computers, but that's only 1/3 of the BCS formula. I could certainly see the human polls dropping them to fourth.

I think I've also read somewhere that the timing of the loss is taken into account in some computer rankings. So the fact that LSU would lose their last game would hurt more than Arkansas' loss to Alabama in September in those rankings.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 99

I think a loss by Alabama will drop them below OSU, because they have two losses. But if LSU loses (especially if it is close), no way they drop below OSU, as a loss to the #3 team in the country isn't nearly as bad as a loss to an unranked team that was barely over .500 at the time.

Not sure what you're talking about as far as Arkansas jumping OSU, they already have in every major poll. 2011 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 13 - ESPN

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 99

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSTATCyclone View Post

But I'm (fairly) confident that, if you are rooting for OSU to have the best shot at a comeback into the NC, you need to root for LSU and Auburn this weekend. (see also: Blech.)
    And, hate to state the obvious here, but OU (Sooners) needs to look good going into their game with OSU, so OSU has a chance to beat a quality team. If ISU beats OU on Saturday, that puts OU on a two-game skid and makes them a perceived lesser opponent. In that case, if OSU beats OU, it would still look less impressive and probably make it harder for OSU to jump over these SEC teams.

Personally, if an SEC rematch in the NCG comes partly as a result of another ISU shocker, I'm all for it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    Personally, if an SEC rematch in the NCG comes partly as a result of another ISU shocker, I'm all for it.
    Iowa State is the ONLY school to blame for this mess and I LOVE it!!!!!

Someone can argue that even if OSU beat ISU, they could still lose to Oklahoma the following weekend which would have messed up the BCS scenario for OSU. However, a 1 loss Oklahoma (assuming they had beat Baylor) is banged up and is without their top receiver. Plus Oklahoma is very inconsistent. I really thought this is the one year OSU would beat up on Oklahoma without a doubt. I still think OSU would win over Oklahoma.

Man, Iowa State has earned their 6th win in a MAJOR MAJOR WAY!!!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    I think a loss by Alabama will drop them below OSU, because they have two losses. But if LSU loses (especially if it is close), no way they drop below OSU, as a loss to the #3 team in the country isn't nearly as bad as a loss to an unranked team that was barely over .500 at the time.

Not sure what you're talking about as far as Arkansas jumping OSU, they already have in every major poll. 2011 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 13 - ESPN
    You're right, I forgot about that.

As far as how far LSU drops, my main reason they could drop below Oklahoma State is that the pollsters wouldn't want to see a national championship game between two teams from the same conference if it can be avoided. That means that they may try to put any reasonable alternative above LSU if they lost, so I could even see LSU dropping below Stanford and Virginia Tech. They don't want to see Boise State in the NCG, so I think the lowest they'd fall is #6.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Good ole computers. I am still wondering how good that Oregon win really is. I think the best team in Pac12 is not even capable of going to a bowl this year(USC), and Stanford looks like they are standing still when they are playing other teams(no speed).

I have a tough time putting Arkansas above Alabama since they were walloped head to head. I think Alabama has a legit case for the top spot if LSU struggles and gets crushed. That being said, how many points did Georgia Southern score on Alabama last week? 21 wasn't it? They are only giving up an average of like 8 a game. It tells me they have a good defense, but the offenses in the SEC are downright awful as well.