Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

Defense the entire key for MBB

This entire year for MBB will hinge on our defense IMO. If we play super tough defense, everything else will fall in line. If we don't, then we're going to be pretty average.

Reason being.... we will be nearly unstoppable if we're running and gunning. Running will eliminate the need for a PG too. And the best way for us to run is to create turnovers or missed shots defensively.

If we play poor defensively, and the opponent shoots a good FG % because of it, it will completely turn us almost exclusively into a half court offense.... which we are NOT good at whatsoever.

I have some concerns about not having a PG and our lack of offensive execution, but I think all that would be solved if we can just get the tempo going. That all starts on the defensive end. Against Drake we played some of the worst defense I've seen... Drake shot well... and we never could get running.

Prospect
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    This entire year for MBB will hinge on our defense IMO. If we play super tough defense, everything else will fall in line. If we don't, then we're going to be pretty average.

Reason being.... we will be nearly unstoppable if we're running and gunning. Running will eliminate the need for a PG too. And the best way for us to run is to create turnovers or missed shots defensively.

If we play poor defensively, and the opponent shoots a good FG % because of it, it will completely turn us almost exclusively into a half court offense.... which we are NOT good at whatsoever.

I have some concerns about not having a PG and our lack of offensive execution, but I think all that would be solved if we can just get the tempo going. That all starts on the defensive end. Against Drake we played some of the worst defense I've seen... Drake shot well... and we never could get running.
    Funny that reminds me of Johnny Orr's best teams. The very best ones could play defense by forcing turnovers and using the fast break before another team could set up defense.

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 17

It's true of almost any team really, when you think about it. Defense creates offense...it's kind of like how in football the running game opens up the passing game (but not totally the same thing). Cause missed shots and the opposing team will continue missing shots while the team playing the defense can open up the fast break.

For this reason, I'm actually not a fan of Big 10 play. Most force turnovers or missed shots and just slowly take it up the court instead of looking for fast break opportunities.

IMO, defense will win us games as long as we create fast break opportunities and don't always try and play GMac ball and slow things down so much.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 12

I completely agree that if our defense can hold the other team to less points than we score we will be fine.

(actually this as a good post sorry to be a smart ***)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Agree about the value of good defense, but turnovers have a huge impact and need to improve as well.

If you wait until the last minute.....it only takes a minute.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 729

Quote Originally Posted by LtRaczack View Post
    Funny that reminds me of Johnny Orr's best teams. The very best ones could play defense by forcing turnovers and using the fast break before another team could set up defense.
    True.

If you add rebounding to it (Orr's teams weren't always consistent at that, and sometimes bad), initiating transition is effective and exciting, especially if you may have some half-court flaws (size; solid point guard).

Anyone else watch Missouri demolish Notre Dame today? Similar situation there. Tough defense led to fast breaks, and the floodgates opened. But it wasn't entirely dependent on getting steals, either.

Not exactly the same subject, but related: Based on very early results, it's looking apparent that ISU should fare better when scoring 80-plus instead of games in the 60s. But defense has to be a key ingredient; if it's based entirely on trying to outscore the opponent, losing 92-88 is no better than 67-63 (although it can be more fun to watch)

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

I was at the game Sunday. The first half was terrible. Everyone sitting around me kept yelling, "Come on D." Finally, there was more energy in the second half and they played better. McGee and Babb impressed me the most of the new guys as far as energy and interacting during with the team during time outs and such.

Maybe someone can clarify for me, however, the basketball players hardly ever looked at each or communicated with each other before the game in warm ups and at time out. It is like each of the players were out there for themselves and trying to be cool..even Bubu does it. Only exception I would say was Scotty, Babb and McGee.

Compare that to football players where everyone is talking and pumped up and communicating.

Not a lot of interaction with each BB player. Has it always been this in MBB where everyone looks to be cooler than the other. I admit I could be way off here, but at a glance, those guys are not interacting as a team.

Any thoughts?

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,017
    Given: 2,407

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I was at the game Sunday. The first half was terrible. Everyone sitting around me kept yelling, "Come on D." Finally, there was more energy in the second half and they played better. McGee and Babb impressed me the most of the new guys as far as energy and interacting during with the team during time outs and such.

Maybe someone can clarify for me, however, the basketball players hardly ever looked at each or communicated with each other before the game in warm ups and at time out. It is like each of the players were out there for themselves and trying to be cool..even Bubu does it. Only exception I would say was Scotty, Babb and McGee.

Compare that to football players where everyone is talking and pumped up and communicating.

Not a lot of interaction with each BB player. Has it always been this in MBB where everyone looks to be cooler than the other. I admit I could be way off here, but at a glance, those guys are not interacting as a team.

Any thoughts?

Z
    On replays, you can see Hoiberg making symbols with his hands that seem to be exhorting the guys to talk and communicate. I get the feeling that's a work in progress right now.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    On replays, you can see Hoiberg making symbols with his hands that seem to be exhorting the guys to talk and communicate. I get the feeling that's a work in progress right now.
    Yeah, they kept showing it on the TV broadcast that Fred kept making those hand signals "COMMUNICATE"

They should really listen to him on the communication thing more. You know, he only played in the NBA for 10 seasons.

I hope they don't think they can use Fred for his "connections." The situation like "Coach knows everyone in the NBA. I just have to play well for myself and he'll let em know."

Legend
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,688

Nobody took over 9 shots in our last game and we had 25 assists.

Let's not get too worked up because our guys don't talk to each other in warmups or because we think they're just trying to showcase their skills.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

You are correct sir.

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

"This is not intramurals in the Big 12. We need to play defense."

"Defense? Defense? What defense?"

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,173
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Nobody took over 9 shots in our last game and we had 25 assists.

Let's not get too worked up because our guys don't talk to each other in warmups or because we think they're just trying to showcase their skills.
    Allen took 16 shots, way too many, particularly with his current shooting percentage. Some of them need to go to White.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Allen took 16 shots, way too many, particularly with his current shooting percentage. Some of them need to go to White.
    coach hoiberg needs to pull the maury john defense out of his bag of tricks.COACH JOHN USED "THE BELLY BUTTON DEFENSE!!!!"his teams were fun to watch both at drake and at iowa state. it was too bad he died too early in his career at iowa state. he was a complete coach.....and his teams were fun to watch....

doc

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 115

From what I've seen so far, without major improvement on the defensive end, I see this team finishing somewhere around 6-3 at home in the B12 and 1-8'ish on the road in conference play.

You're just not going to win many road games playing below average D in the B12. When the shots aren't falling like they do at home and the opposing crowd isn't helping you, you have to get defensive stops.