Defense the entire key for MBB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 183,087, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,611
    Points
    183,087
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

    Defense the entire key for MBB

    This entire year for MBB will hinge on our defense IMO. If we play super tough defense, everything else will fall in line. If we don't, then we're going to be pretty average.

    Reason being.... we will be nearly unstoppable if we're running and gunning. Running will eliminate the need for a PG too. And the best way for us to run is to create turnovers or missed shots defensively.

    If we play poor defensively, and the opponent shoots a good FG % because of it, it will completely turn us almost exclusively into a half court offense.... which we are NOT good at whatsoever.

    I have some concerns about not having a PG and our lack of offensive execution, but I think all that would be solved if we can just get the tempo going. That all starts on the defensive end. Against Drake we played some of the worst defense I've seen... Drake shot well... and we never could get running.



  2. #2
    Prospect
    Points: 7,105, Level: 25
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    LtRaczack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    18
    Points
    7,105
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    This entire year for MBB will hinge on our defense IMO. If we play super tough defense, everything else will fall in line. If we don't, then we're going to be pretty average.

    Reason being.... we will be nearly unstoppable if we're running and gunning. Running will eliminate the need for a PG too. And the best way for us to run is to create turnovers or missed shots defensively.

    If we play poor defensively, and the opponent shoots a good FG % because of it, it will completely turn us almost exclusively into a half court offense.... which we are NOT good at whatsoever.

    I have some concerns about not having a PG and our lack of offensive execution, but I think all that would be solved if we can just get the tempo going. That all starts on the defensive end. Against Drake we played some of the worst defense I've seen... Drake shot well... and we never could get running.
    Funny that reminds me of Johnny Orr's best teams. The very best ones could play defense by forcing turnovers and using the fast break before another team could set up defense.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 78,784, Level: 87
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,331
    Points
    78,784
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 17

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    It's true of almost any team really, when you think about it. Defense creates offense...it's kind of like how in football the running game opens up the passing game (but not totally the same thing). Cause missed shots and the opposing team will continue missing shots while the team playing the defense can open up the fast break.

    For this reason, I'm actually not a fan of Big 10 play. Most force turnovers or missed shots and just slowly take it up the court instead of looking for fast break opportunities.

    IMO, defense will win us games as long as we create fast break opportunities and don't always try and play GMac ball and slow things down so much.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 73,667, Level: 84
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    GrindingAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,969
    Points
    73,667
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 12

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    I completely agree that if our defense can hold the other team to less points than we score we will be fine.

    (actually this as a good post sorry to be a smart ***)



  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,623, Level: 29
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    acqflisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa
    Posts
    233
    Points
    9,623
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 7

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Agree about the value of good defense, but turnovers have a huge impact and need to improve as well.


    If you wait until the last minute.....it only takes a minute.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 97,473, Level: 97
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,682
    Points
    97,473
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 729

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by LtRaczack View Post
    Funny that reminds me of Johnny Orr's best teams. The very best ones could play defense by forcing turnovers and using the fast break before another team could set up defense.
    True.

    If you add rebounding to it (Orr's teams weren't always consistent at that, and sometimes bad), initiating transition is effective and exciting, especially if you may have some half-court flaws (size; solid point guard).

    Anyone else watch Missouri demolish Notre Dame today? Similar situation there. Tough defense led to fast breaks, and the floodgates opened. But it wasn't entirely dependent on getting steals, either.

    Not exactly the same subject, but related: Based on very early results, it's looking apparent that ISU should fare better when scoring 80-plus instead of games in the 60s. But defense has to be a key ingredient; if it's based entirely on trying to outscore the opponent, losing 92-88 is no better than 67-63 (although it can be more fun to watch)



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 43,699, Level: 64
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,555
    Points
    43,699
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    I was at the game Sunday. The first half was terrible. Everyone sitting around me kept yelling, "Come on D." Finally, there was more energy in the second half and they played better. McGee and Babb impressed me the most of the new guys as far as energy and interacting during with the team during time outs and such.

    Maybe someone can clarify for me, however, the basketball players hardly ever looked at each or communicated with each other before the game in warm ups and at time out. It is like each of the players were out there for themselves and trying to be cool..even Bubu does it. Only exception I would say was Scotty, Babb and McGee.

    Compare that to football players where everyone is talking and pumped up and communicating.

    Not a lot of interaction with each BB player. Has it always been this in MBB where everyone looks to be cooler than the other. I admit I could be way off here, but at a glance, those guys are not interacting as a team.

    Any thoughts?

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 880,469, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,782
    Points
    880,469
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,017
    Given: 2,407

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I was at the game Sunday. The first half was terrible. Everyone sitting around me kept yelling, "Come on D." Finally, there was more energy in the second half and they played better. McGee and Babb impressed me the most of the new guys as far as energy and interacting during with the team during time outs and such.

    Maybe someone can clarify for me, however, the basketball players hardly ever looked at each or communicated with each other before the game in warm ups and at time out. It is like each of the players were out there for themselves and trying to be cool..even Bubu does it. Only exception I would say was Scotty, Babb and McGee.

    Compare that to football players where everyone is talking and pumped up and communicating.

    Not a lot of interaction with each BB player. Has it always been this in MBB where everyone looks to be cooler than the other. I admit I could be way off here, but at a glance, those guys are not interacting as a team.

    Any thoughts?

    Z
    On replays, you can see Hoiberg making symbols with his hands that seem to be exhorting the guys to talk and communicate. I get the feeling that's a work in progress right now.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 78,784, Level: 87
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,331
    Points
    78,784
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 17

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    On replays, you can see Hoiberg making symbols with his hands that seem to be exhorting the guys to talk and communicate. I get the feeling that's a work in progress right now.
    Yeah, they kept showing it on the TV broadcast that Fred kept making those hand signals "COMMUNICATE"

    They should really listen to him on the communication thing more. You know, he only played in the NBA for 10 seasons.

    I hope they don't think they can use Fred for his "connections." The situation like "Coach knows everyone in the NBA. I just have to play well for myself and he'll let em know."



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 294,743, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,242
    Points
    294,743
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,688

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Nobody took over 9 shots in our last game and we had 25 assists.

    Let's not get too worked up because our guys don't talk to each other in warmups or because we think they're just trying to showcase their skills.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 26,308, Level: 49
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,713
    Points
    26,308
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    This entire year for MBB will hinge on our defense IMO. If we play super tough defense, everything else will fall in line. If we don't, then we're going to be pretty average.

    Reason being.... we will be nearly unstoppable if we're running and gunning. Running will eliminate the need for a PG too. And the best way for us to run is to create turnovers or missed shots defensively.

    If we play poor defensively, and the opponent shoots a good FG % because of it, it will completely turn us almost exclusively into a half court offense.... which we are NOT good at whatsoever.

    I have some concerns about not having a PG and our lack of offensive execution, but I think all that would be solved if we can just get the tempo going. That all starts on the defensive end. Against Drake we played some of the worst defense I've seen... Drake shot well... and we never could get running.
    You are correct sir.


    Go Cyclones!!

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 408,214, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,123
    Points
    408,214
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    "This is not intramurals in the Big 12. We need to play defense."

    "Defense? Defense? What defense?"


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 33,077, Level: 56
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,173
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Psiclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    1,749
    Points
    33,077
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 186

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Nobody took over 9 shots in our last game and we had 25 assists.

    Let's not get too worked up because our guys don't talk to each other in warmups or because we think they're just trying to showcase their skills.
    Allen took 16 shots, way too many, particularly with his current shooting percentage. Some of them need to go to White.


    "Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Allen took 16 shots, way too many, particularly with his current shooting percentage. Some of them need to go to White.
    coach hoiberg needs to pull the maury john defense out of his bag of tricks.COACH JOHN USED "THE BELLY BUTTON DEFENSE!!!!"his teams were fun to watch both at drake and at iowa state. it was too bad he died too early in his career at iowa state. he was a complete coach.....and his teams were fun to watch....


    doc

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 98,693, Level: 97
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,194
    Points
    98,693
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 115

    Re: Defense the entire key for MBB

    From what I've seen so far, without major improvement on the defensive end, I see this team finishing somewhere around 6-3 at home in the B12 and 1-8'ish on the road in conference play.

    You're just not going to win many road games playing below average D in the B12. When the shots aren't falling like they do at home and the opposing crowd isn't helping you, you have to get defensive stops.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM