Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Penn State Fans Show Nothing but Class

....or not.

Sick: Sandusky Victim Bullied Out of School | Jammie Wearing Fools

Jumpin' Jesus on a POGO STICK! This is SICK!

I don't care how many diseases researchers at Penn State have cured. I don't give a squirt of urine about how much Joe Paterno donated to charity over his lifetime. There comes a point where you have to tell a group of people, "You have an unhealthy obsession here, and we're just gonna have to take away the focus of your obsession before someone gets hurt."

I think we're past the point of a NCAA Death Penalty here. I think we're getting very close to the point where the trustees need to step in and say, "We're shutting the whole darn thing down because you're all idiots."

I don't care how much money PSU football generates. If it comes with crap like this, taking it makes you no better than a pimp or a drug dealer. No matter how many good things you do with it, it's still dirty.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 792
    Given: 181

Re: Penn State Fans Show Nothing but Class

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    ....or not.

Sick: Sandusky Victim Bullied Out of School | Jammie Wearing Fools

Jumpin' Jesus on a POGO STICK! This is SICK!

I don't care how many diseases researchers at Penn State have cured. I don't give a squirt of urine about how much Joe Paterno donated to charity over his lifetime. There comes a point where you have to tell a group of people, "You have an unhealthy obsession here, and we're just gonna have to take away the focus of your obsession before someone gets hurt."

I think we're past the point of a NCAA Death Penalty here. I think we're getting very close to the point where the trustees need to step in and say, "We're shutting the whole darn thing down because you're all idiots."

I don't care how much money PSU football generates. If it comes with crap like this, taking it makes you no better than a pimp or a drug dealer. No matter how many good things you do with it, it's still dirty.

Yeah but what about all the poor innocent fans and players who did nothing wrong...

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,062
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 598

this just keeps getting uglier and uglier

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,685
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Yeah but what about all the poor innocent fans and players who did nothing wrong...

**** 'em. Let them go cry to everyone who bought all of Michael Jackson's albums before he was outed as a kiddie rapist too.

(based on what I remember of your opinions from the other threads on PSU, I know you're kidding here; however it never hurts to let the information challenged posters know that you're NOT advocating putting the fanbase ahead of the victims in this case.)

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,532
    Given: 2,069

A story that never fails to tick me off more and more.

This is a hint about what happens when we let something like football get too important to our lives. It's still filled with imperfect people (or in Sandusky's case, much worse than that) that fall short. It almost seems like Pennsylvania will fall apart. That's probably a bit much, but they don't seem to be dealing with it well.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,346
    Given: 1,027

Only solution: suspend the program for two seasons from within the university. It will be decades until they get a fresh start otherwise.

It's in their "next five years" interest to never miss a football game. It's in their "next 50 years" best interest to impose a suspension of the football program on themselves.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

Look, I agree with you, it's sick. But just imagine CPR does turn the ship around here at ISU, makes ISU a semi-national power, at least nationally respected, coaches here for 20+ years, only to have his tenure ended suddenly in a similar scandal. Unless you are 100% sure ISU students and fans WOULDN'T act in a similar fashion (which I wouldn't be convinced of if such a scandal hit TOMORROW - look at Larry Eustachy - the guy is still a legend at ISU and his scandal was small potatoes in comparison), then perhaps it's best not to judge an entire fan base by a number of idiots.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,481
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 116

The kids may have been upset about the Joe Paterno firing.
    But it is, more likely, that they were bullying him because he was raped by a man. I am not defending the behavior of the kids. He would be the school's "cooolest dude" if he was raped by a female teacher.

I do think the PSU athletic program needs to be shut down. But not for the actions of these kids in this high school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 826
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    A story that never fails to tick me off more and more.

This is a hint about what happens when we let something like football get too important to our lives. It's still filled with imperfect people (or in Sandusky's case, much worse than that) that fall short. It almost seems like Pennsylvania will fall apart. That's probably a bit much, but they don't seem to be dealing with it well.
    To this point, I had not been an advocate of strong sanctions against the university, but the more I read, and see reactions, the more I think the whole football team over there needs to take a hiatus for a couple of years while the univeristy divorces itself from all the "Penn State" men. Start over with a totally blank slate with people who have absolutely ZERO connection to Paterno, Sandusky and the rest. That culture needs a JARRING reality check written to them in the wake of this. They have lost all perspective on their mission to shape the lives of young men.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Look, I agree with you, it's sick. But just imagine CPR does turn the ship around here at ISU, makes ISU a semi-national power, at least nationally respected, coaches here for 20+ years, only to have his tenure ended suddenly in a similar scandal. Unless you are 100% sure ISU students and fans WOULDN'T act in a similar fashion (which I wouldn't be convinced of if such a scandal hit TOMORROW - look at Larry Eustachy - the guy is still a legend at ISU and his scandal was small potatoes in comparison), then perhaps it's best not to judge an entire fan base by a number of idiots.

Or, you could say that ISU already HAD their character test. Remember Randy Brown? Of course you do. You know why you know about it? Because ISU didn't hush it up and sweep the whole damn thing under the rug like Penn State did with the first two "investigations" into Sandusky.

And that was just a pervert who liked to LOOK AT PICTURES. This case involved a guy who was actively ruining kids lives.

I'm all for not throwing stones when you're living in a glass house; however, if CPR were ever involved in a scandal like this I would hope that I would treat him with as much contempt as I feel for Joe Paterno right now. Thankfully, I don't think that's going to be a problem. God willing.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,695
    Given: 158

Or, you could say that ISU already HAD their character test. Remember Randy Brown? Of course you do. You know why you know about it? Because ISU didn't hush it up and sweep the whole damn thing under the rug like Penn State did with the first two "investigations" into Sandusky.

And that was just a pervert who liked to LOOK AT PICTURES. This case involved a guy who was actively ruining kids lives.

I'm all for not throwing stones when you're living in a glass house; however, if CPR were ever involved in a scandal like this I would hope that I would treat him with as much contempt as I feel for Joe Paterno right now. Thankfully, I don't think that's going to be a problem. God willing.

The Randy Brown situation is not really comparable. I wouldn't say ISU passed a "character test," because ISU never had a chance to cover it up, even if they had wanted to.(which they wouldn't have) US Post Office officials were the ones who first reported him, and they brought it to the attention of both a federal agency and ISU Public Safety. The investigation was already on by the time ISU officials found out.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

Who's Randy Brown?

Exactly. You hope. I don't have to hope - I'd want anyone involved in such a disgusting scandal to be held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof), I don't give two ****s what kind of god he's made himself during his time in Ames.

Meanwhile, an entire web site, including yourself, has condemned an entire fan base based on the actions of a large, although a minority, number of idiots. Based on what I said above, I certainly wouldn't want to be categorized with the idiots just because I happen to share a love for a football team with them and they just happen to be vocal and in the spotlight...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Who's Randy Brown?..

Former ISU Assistant Basketball Coach.

Brother was/is DM Rag sports writter.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 43

dam quakers!

NDSU - BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK National Football Champions! Beat Kansas ST, Kansas & Minnesota 2 times, We hate Iowa and Northern Iowa, but ISU is cool with us. cya in 2014!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Who's Randy Brown?

Exactly. You hope. I don't have to hope - I'd want anyone involved in such a disgusting scandal to be held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof), I don't give two ****s what kind of god he's made himself during his time in Ames.

Meanwhile, an entire web site, including yourself, has condemned an entire fan base based on the actions of a large, although a minority, number of idiots. Based on what I said above, I certainly wouldn't want to be categorized with the idiots just because I happen to share a love for a football team with them and they just happen to be vocal and in the spotlight...
    Fair enough. I agree with you. All the Penn State family has to do is vocally denounce the d-bags persecuting Sandusky's "Victim #1" because their little tin god Paterno was collateral damage in a child rape investigation. They don't have to go punch them in their dumba## faces personally (although.......nah, they're high school kids. Reality is going to punch them in the face soon enough), all they have to do is say, "HEY, CUT THAT %%%% OUT, IDIOTS!"

That's all they have to do. Just denounce the idiots. That's it. Simple, really.

(I haven't heard any denouncements yet)