Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 26,710, Level: 50
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    899
    Points
    26,710
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

    Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    As great as the Okie State victory was...we better start to focus on what's ahead.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 265,769, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,355
    Points
    265,769
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Gonna be tough...I'm sure the team will try, but the game this weekend will be a hangover for us I'm afraid. Hope not!



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 204,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,086
    Points
    204,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 22

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    A victory here would start to legitimize the football program.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,583, Level: 93
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,567
    Points
    90,583
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 21

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    As great as the Okie State victory was...we better start to focus on what's ahead.
    You do understand as fans, we have virtually no impact over what happens on the field? If we want to celebrate the biggest win in school history all week, it will not matter. And I'm pretty sure the team is focused. They have the same routine every week.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 213,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,021
    Points
    213,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    You do understand as fans, we have virtually no impact over what happens on the field? If we want to celebrate the biggest win in school history all week, it will not matter. And I'm pretty sure the team is focused. They have the same routine every week.
    I think your kind of delusional if you think players don't check the forums. Anyway, OU is good...





  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 68,241, Level: 81
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,509
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,249
    Points
    68,241
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Gonna be tough...I'm sure the team will try, but the game this weekend will be a hangover for us I'm afraid. Hope not!
    OU is going to be ****** after losing to Baylor. Much rather they had won.

    Our game there last timewas an embarassment. I will be completely fine if we just play them tough and have no injuries.

    KSU is one dimensional. We have a legitimate shot at that game.

    Isn't it amazing that ISU has at least 2 QB's that are better than anyone the mighty Longhorns can field? UT probably could have beat KSU with JB or SJ.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,583, Level: 93
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,567
    Points
    90,583
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 21

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I think your kind of delusional if you think players don't check the forums. Anyway, OU is good...
    Oh give me a break. I may be delusional, but I take medication for that.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 213,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,021
    Points
    213,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Oh give me a break. I may be delusional, but I take medication for that.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFW9nUZZUk4]KIT KAT - YouTube[/ame]



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    As great as the Okie State victory was...we better start to focus on what's ahead.
    I love these types of posts....................we fans can focus on anything and it does not matter at all -- not one bit. I'm going to enjoy this win for months if not years.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 38,444, Level: 60
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    781
    Points
    38,444
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I think your kind of delusional if you think players don't check the forums. Anyway, OU is good...
    You are right. We can't let them know that they beat Oklahoma State on Friday. Don't want them to know how good they are heading into Norman.

    Entering Fan Stealth Mode.

    However, to the genuinely relevant deeper point of this thread - here's what we have to look forward to in OU:

    1) A team that hasn't had to worry about us at home in the Bob Stoops era. (Their games at Jack Trice often are well-contested affairs. Down there? Almost never.)

    2) A team that delivered a 50-pt. shutout against us last year. Ugh. As disgusting as that is, it is going to be incredibly hard for them to take Iowa State seriously this year, and I don't blame them. The game last year wasn't even that close.

    3) A team that gets to play us under the rare conditions of a repeat venue. I don't want to overplay the importance of history (every season is different), but there are some definite psychological grooves that both OU and ISU laid down on that exact same field last year. Those will need to be disrupted early. A 1st quarter score, of any sort, is really important for the Cyclones to pick up.

    4) A team coming off a bitter defeat to a team they (in their minds) "shouldn't ever lose to." Suddenly, taking out some frustrations on (again, in their minds) "lowly Iowa State" becomes more than just fun sport: it becomes catharsis.

    5) A team that just lost all control in the national title hunt - this is for a reason: they are a good team with holes on it. They have taken a terrible beating with key injuries this year. Also, Stoops is a great coach when he leads by 14 in the 4th quarter, but he makes bafflingly strange decisions in close ones: decisions that cost the Sooners more often than they do not.

    So, with those factors in mind, you've got a wounded animal with a history of dominating us at home, scrambling to maintain its last hold on their version of relevance (BCS/National Title).

    You've also got a beatable team with an offense that isn't nearly as good as Okie State's, and a defense that is better. The Sooners got tangled in their trousers for Tech - why can't we inspire them to do the same for us?

    So, ISU needs fewer yards, but also fewer turnovers, and needs to bring the exact same defense (a tall order considering it won't have the fuel of a rocking crowd.)

    My biggest hope? Is that the Cyclones bring a real game to Norman for a change. We haven't even scared them there since that Halloween game in the late 90s.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 213,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,021
    Points
    213,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSTATCyclone View Post
    You are right. We can't let them know that they beat Oklahoma State on Friday. Don't want them to know how good they are heading into Norman.

    Entering Fan Stealth Mode.

    However, to the genuinely relevant deeper point of this thread - here's what we have to look forward to in OU:

    1) A team that hasn't had to worry about us at home in the Bob Stoops era. (Their games at Jack Trice often are well-contested affairs. Down there? Almost never.)

    2) A team that delivered a 50-pt. shutout against us last year. Ugh. As disgusting as that is, it is going to be incredibly hard for them to take Iowa State seriously this year, and I don't blame them. The game last year wasn't even that close.

    3) A team that gets to play us under the rare conditions of a repeat venue. I don't want to overplay the importance of history (every season is different), but there are some definite psychological grooves that both OU and ISU laid down on that exact same field last year. Those will need to be disrupted early. A 1st quarter score, of any sort, is really important for the Cyclones to pick up.

    4) A team coming off a bitter defeat to a team they (in their minds) "shouldn't ever lose to." Suddenly, taking out some frustrations on (again, in their minds) "lowly Iowa State" becomes more than just fun sport: it becomes catharsis.

    5) A team that just lost all control in the national title hunt - this is for a reason: they are a good team with holes on it. They have taken a terrible beating with key injuries this year. Also, Stoops is a great coach when he leads by 14 in the 4th quarter, but he makes bafflingly strange decisions in close ones: decisions that cost the Sooners more often than they do not.

    So, with those factors in mind, you've got a wounded animal with a history of dominating us at home, scrambling to maintain its last hold on their version of relevance (BCS/National Title).

    You've also got a beatable team with an offense that isn't nearly as good as Okie State's, and a defense that is better. The Sooners got tangled in their trousers for Tech - why can't we inspire them to do the same for us?

    So, ISU needs fewer yards, but also fewer turnovers, and needs to bring the exact same defense (a tall order considering it won't have the fuel of a rocking crowd.)

    My biggest hope? Is that the Cyclones bring a real game to Norman for a change. We haven't even scared them there since that Halloween game in the late 90s.
    What can I say? I'm superstitious.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 11,491, Level: 32
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    DarkStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    530
    Points
    11,491
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 20

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    We got the nations attention with the OSU win. How they view that win will be determined by how we do in Norman.

    OU will be looking to make a statement after their Baylor loss. ISU needs to be ready to make a statement of their own when they take the field.

    We are One!

    All In!



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,350, Level: 85
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,200
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,553
    Points
    75,350
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 14

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Oh no. The last few hours I was focusing on the Packers game this Thursday. I hope my loss of focus doesn't result in a loss against Oklahoma.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,990, Level: 82
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,506
    Points
    70,990
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Guys, we all need to make sure no one drinks on Saturday. Because, as fans, we are to prepare for games the same way as the players do. Who am I going to see tonight at the film study? Don't forget, no sex the night before a game, either!



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 845,946, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,681
    Points
    845,946
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 503

    Re: Time to start thinking about the Sooners

    Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    A victory here would start to legitimize the football program.
    Start?


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM