Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

SLR Lenses to DSLR compatiblity

I have a rather old Canon Rebel with with was a pretty expensive at the time, tamron lens. My wife would like to buy a new DSLR. I'm assuming that none of my lens' will be compatible. can anyone confirm that or point to me somewhere that could help me figure it out.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: SLR Lenses to DSLR compatiblity

Unless your camera is really old, the lenses you have should work fine. I think the Canon EF mount came out in 1987, and my understanding is that the oldest EF lenses are compatible with the newest cameras and vice versa.

Unless you're spending big bucks on a full-frame DSLR, the lenses will appear longer due to the digital sensor being smaller than 35mm film. The standard kit lenses on the current Rebel series are all EF-S lenses, which have smaller optics tailored specifically to the smaller sensor. So EF-S lenses won't work properly on your film camera, but any EF lens will be fine on either.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by DJSteve View Post
    Unless your camera is really old, the lenses you have should work fine. I think the Canon EF mount came out in 1987, and my understanding is that the oldest EF lenses are compatible with the newest cameras and vice versa.

Unless you're spending big bucks on a full-frame DSLR, the lenses will appear longer due to the digital sensor being smaller than 35mm film. The standard kit lenses on the current Rebel series are all EF-S lenses, which have smaller optics tailored specifically to the smaller sensor. So EF-S lenses won't work properly on your film camera, but any EF lens will be fine on either.
    Exactly. As long as the lens has the prefix "EF", you're golden. Anything with "FD" is no good, though.

If you can avoid it, don't buy a stock kit; the EF-S lenses are low-end, and for only a few bucks more you can get a much higher quality zoom lens or two. Canon's 50mm fixed lens is a great buy for only $99.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    If you can avoid it, don't buy a stock kit; the EF-S lenses are low-end, and for only a few bucks more you can get a much higher quality zoom lens or two. Canon's 50mm fixed lens is a great buy for only $99.
    If you are patient enough you can often find a 50mm f/1.8 for less than $70 and there is no harm in buying a lightly used lens either depending upon your budget and use for the camera.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

Thanks. I'm looking to buy my wife one for christmas. I'm not afraid to pay as she takes a ton of photos, and the effort is good for her but good technology is important to me. I've been trying to decide whether to buy a kit or not. I will likely stick with a cannon just because she's more comfortable with it. I've been looking at a T3i. Thanks for your help.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

The 50mm/f1.8 is definitely a nice lens for the money. Lens recommendations really should depend on what you're planning to shoot, though.

If money is no object, yeah, get a 5D and a 24-70mm EF and be done with it. But for everyday use the EF-S lenses aren't bad, and going to an EF zoom you're looking at a wide end of 24-28mm vs. 17 or 18mm--which is pretty significant, especially on a crop sensor camera. Fixed focal lengths aren't going to be very handy if you're trying to shoot kids--or people in general--because you're going to miss shots while you're screwing around swapping lenses.

If you've got some lenses already, I'd be tempted to get the 18-55mm kit, then let your wife oogle over nice lenses to figure out what she wants and get her a better one for her birthday or Christmas next year. For Rebels like the T3i the 18-55 kit is what you'll find on sale, and at that point getting the kit lens doesn't add much cost. Last year Amazon had some killer deals on T2i's during the beginning of December.