Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 236

Iowa/ISU rematch

I said back in September that ISU was clearly the better team the day they played the Hawks. I also said I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up being the better team at the end of the year, but that I'd have to wait and see whose body of work was better.

Iowa is better now than they were in September. And if they played the ISU lineup they faced in JTS tomorrow, I think the Hawks would win.

But I also think ISU is better with Barnett in the lineup than they are/were with Jantz. Maybe the Hawks still win, because of Shontrelle being out. But I think I'm ready to fully admit that ISU is the better team this year. Not just on Sept. 10. In 2011.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 31

Re: Iowa/ISU rematch

That had to hurt

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 50

Obviously biased, but ISU is by no means the same team it was just 4 or 5 weeks ago. I really hope ISU and Iowa square off in the Insight Bowl just so we can truly see how much better ISU has gotten.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That had to hurt
    It sucks that Iowa isn't better, but it's hardly gut-wrenching. I love seeing ISU succeed, too.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 845

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I said back in September that ISU was clearly the better team the day they played the Hawks. I also said I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up being the better team at the end of the year, but that I'd have to wait and see whose body of work was better.

Iowa is better now than they were in September. And if they played the ISU lineup they faced in JTS tomorrow, I think the Hawks would win.

But I also think ISU is better with Barnett in the lineup than they are/were with Jantz. Maybe the Hawks still win, because of Shontrelle being out. But I think I'm ready to fully admit that ISU is the better team this year. Not just on Sept. 10. In 2011.
    I'm impressed that you managed to win a single road game this year. Good work, but we beat you 7 out of 10 times in Jack Trice. You probably do the same at Kinnick.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Obviously biased, but ISU is by no means the same team it was just 4 or 5 weeks ago. I really hope ISU and Iowa square off in the Insight Bowl just so we can truly see how much better ISU has gotten.
    I'd love to see a rematch, but I don't think it's going to happen, unfortunately. But ISU is definitely not the same team they were a month ago. Barnett could really be something special by the time he's done.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 4

Are you really a Hawk fan?

You have way too much common sense and are way too level headed.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Are... are you ok? Did you just have stroke or something?

Kidding aside, I think you're right. Iowa is a far more talented team than they've played like this year, and easily more talented than ISU. Iowa has played much better as of late, but I still think Iowa State is a better team. Just as inconsistant, but more solid as a team, despite the lack of talent.

It is worth noting that although Iowa State has a better team this year, they are not the better program, yet.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 50

I'd love to see a rematch, but I don't think it's going to happen, unfortunately. But ISU is definitely not the same team they were a month ago. Barnett could really be something special by the time he's done.
    JB was recruited by this staff to play QB. It's night and day between him and the QB's that have come before him. JB knows how to win and he's a true leader on the field. The best part? He still has 3 years left.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa really hasn't done ANYTHING to impress me this year. The Big 10 has nowhere near the quality of teams the Big 12 does.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kas4cy View Post

Kidding aside, I think you're right. Iowa is a far more talented team than they've played like this year, and easily more talented than ISU. Iowa has played much better as of late, but I still think Iowa State is a better team. Just as inconsistant, but more solid as a team, despite the lack of talent.

It is worth noting that although Iowa State has a better team this year, they are not the better program, yet.
    ?

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    Iowa really hasn't done ANYTHING to impress me this year. The Big 10 has nowhere near the quality of teams the Big 12 does.
    The win against Michigan was good. They're clearly a better team at home, and Michigan only decided to play 1 half of football, but it was a good win nonetheless.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kas4cy View Post

That battle is going to take MUCH longer to win, unless Iowa just falls off the map. That's just what happens when ISU has a long stretch of (overall) pathetic-ness while Iowa is going to January bowl games. Iowa has a big head start thanks to the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    JB was recruited by this staff to play QB. It's night and day between him and the QB's that have come before him. JB knows how to win and he's a true leader on the field. The best part? He still has 3 years left.
    And this is the part that scares me for the next year or two. Especially that last sentence.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Iowa's defense is still pretty slow and generally bad IMO. They played a great game against Michigan. Outside of that I haven't been impressed at all.

I would rather see a Bama v LSU rematch than a CyHawk rematch.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

That battle is going to take MUCH longer to win, unless Iowa just falls off the map. That's just what happens when ISU has a long stretch of (overall) pathetic-ness while Iowa is going to January bowl games. Iowa has a big head start thanks to the past 30 years.
    And that's what the "yet" is there for. We (Iowa State fans) all hope that it's going that way. You're also right that it would take Iowa falling to mediocrity for quite a few years for that to happen.

Also, can you and your hawkeye brethren stop saying "January bowl games" like it means it's automatically better than a December bowl game? The effect is moot when 6 of the 8 bowl tie-ins happen to be in January. If you want to say BCS or "top tier" when talking about the Outback or Capital One, that's fine. But if practically all the games are in January, it's seems silly to make it a bragging point. Not on topic I know, just a minor annoyance.