Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU in need of talent!

Most of the fans keep saying that our team is not very talented this year. If this is the case, I pray that we have an awesome recruiting class otherwise we are in big trouble. So far the recruiting has been slow, in my opinion. Do you fans think that we have a lack of talent on the field or do we just need the coaches to implement their system.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: ISU in need of talent!

I definitely don't think the cupboard is bare, however it's been hard to tell so far this year. If you've watched closely to all the games, the guys have played well at times, yet appear to be thinking a bit too much at others. It's hard to play FB at the college level and have time to think through what you're doing.

The players need to adjust to the coaches, and I think the coaches need to adjust to the players as well. It's hard to know exactly what you have and what guys can and cant do by just practicing. I suspect the gameplan/playcalling will improve along with the player's execution as the season goes on...who knows, maybe we'll pull an upset or two.

It will definitely get better as the coaches have more time to get guys that fit their system. We don't need a bunch of 3/4 star kids (those rankings are subjective anyway) to be able to compete in the conference, we need kids that fit our coaches system and will give maximum effort once they get here.

The whole talent debate is subjective anyway...did Boisie State have more talent than OU last year? What about App. State Vs Michigan. Get kids that fit your system and will put out maximum effort, then convince them they can win, and stand back and watch the W's pile up. Confidence can trump "talent".

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

As decent as the offensive line has looked this year, I'm not worried. Another year of Coach Sheppard's strength program and they could be a strength of the team.

We'll also need another D-Lineman or two.

If we can build some viable lines along with some pretty good skill players (which I think we already have), we'll be fine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We are still very young. They will get better. I don't think the cupboard is bare at all.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 245

Well, we basically need to play hard with whatever talent we have and keep the mistakes down. That is what our opponent is now saying.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Yesterday ISUCurt provided a list of what he considered Big 12/BCS caliber players. Two things struck me with his list. The first is that Gene recruited nearly 1/4 of the players listed in 3 months (speaks volumes about the previous recruiting, but that is neither here nor there). And, more importantly, how few of those listed would play for any of the "good" teams in the Big 12.

Boise State is the example everyone likes to use, but they beat TWO BCS teams last year, one being Oregon State. Put them in the rigors of abig conference where they have to play every week, and I don't think that they would have nearly the success that some on here seem to think.

At the end of the day, the teams with the the most talent win much more often than not. There is a direct correlation between Pete Carroll's recruiting, and how his team performs. Player development, and creativity will only go so far, weneed to recruit better if we are going to compete with the big boys. There is a gap in talent that we have to make up before we start winning big.

Now I love our guys, but my eyes don't allow me to be deceived.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 245

If I remember right, they beat Oklahoma with every trick play in the arsenal and the Big Red was duped.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

If we can get 2 star recruits from Texas and Florida and get some of the best from Iowa, we can be competitive. Those players can be developed into a winner.

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

We have the players on campus right now to compete, at least on defense where we are ranked 23rd in the nation in total defense giving up an average of 305 yards per game. If we don't screw ourselves each game with typical ball control issues we would be 4-0. The offensive line is outstanding giving up 3 sacks in the first four games, something no one saw coming after last year. Chizik is a defensive guy and it is showing, the problem is scoring and special teams and they need to step it up.

SI.com - College Football - Iowa State Cyclones Team Page

:) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If I remember right, they beat Oklahoma with every trick play in the arsenal and the Big Red was duped.
    They did use trick plays to seal the deal, but they hit OU right in the mouth and won that game at the line of scrimmage during the previous 58 minutes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,007
    Given: 536

Quote Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
    We have the players on campus right now to compete, at least on defense where we are ranked 23rd in the nation in total defense giving up an average of 305 yards per game. If we don't screw ourselves each game with typical ball control issues we would be 4-0. The offensive line is outstanding giving up 3 sacks in the first four games, something no one saw coming after last year. Chizik is a defensive guy and it is showing, the problem is scoring and special teams and they need to step it up.

SI.com - College Football - Iowa State Cyclones Team Page
    That's a nice source for ISU info, thanks. We need Cyclone Fanatic to be linked in as a fan site to give SI credibility

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The Boise St. argument is moot. When a team has a month to prepare for a game, they can gameplan to minimize their weaknesses and exploit the other teams. They may have hit OU in the mouth for most of the game, but they must have seen something in OU's defensive scheme or personnel that they thought they could exploit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 22

Is the cupboard bare? Probably not. Is it well stocked? No. The good news is that looking at our offensive depth chart for the NU game there are only 5 seniors total and for Meyer and Blythe there still appears to be decent talent behind them. O-line should continue to improve with just a slight drop off in skill players.

Same story on defense. Only lose 4 guys off the entire listed depth chart. The bad news is that they are all on the front 7, so don't look for too much progress from the defense next year. Story is similar at special teams with Shaggy the only appreciable loss and that's debatable depending on which week it is. Need another kicker pronto.

I would feel better if we were seeing some signs that our underclassmen could eventually be impact players. It's fairly obvious that our incoming talent level has dropped off recently, but they will get playing time and will hopefully improve under the current regime.