Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Turning the corner

I've always approached ISU football with a dose of skepticism but it had started to the point where I expected something terrible to happen in a game. We'd get blown out and the reaction would just be "Well that's ISU for yah."

But I really think today was the turning point. The stage was set with #2 team in the country coming to Ames, the game showing nationwide on ESPN to boot, and all week it just felt like tonight would be different. And CPR and the team certainly didn't disappoint.

After years of being a lethargic ISU fan through the mid-2000's, I finally feel like ISU has turned the corner and is on the way to surpassing the success that Dan McCarney brought to Iowa State.

It feel so good to be back to a point where we are winning games we aren't supposed to, and just in time for my two sons to get hooked on the Cyclones.

We're all in.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Re: Turning the corner

I'm ALL IN too! Going to be joining the Cyclone Club before the end of the year. Go State.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyder View Post
    I've always approached ISU football with a dose of skepticism but it had started to the point where I expected something terrible to happen in a game. We'd get blown out and the reaction would just be "Well that's ISU for yah."

But I really think today was the turning point. The stage was set with #2 team in the country coming to Ames, the game showing nationwide on ESPN to boot, and all week it just felt like tonight would be different. And CPR and the team certainly didn't disappoint.

After years of being a lethargic ISU fan through the mid-2000's, I finally feel like ISU has turned the corner and is on the way to surpassing the success that Dan McCarney brought to Iowa State.

It feel so good to be back to a point where we are winning games we aren't supposed to, and just in time for my two sons to get hooked on the Cyclones.

We're all in.
    I think we already have.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 91

There is a good young nucleus forming on offensive of skill positions:

QB- Jared Barnett RS FR
    RB- Shontrelle Johnson SO
    RB- Woody Johnson RS SO
    RB- James White RS SO
    RB- Duran Hollis RS FR
    WR- Albert Gary RS SO
    WR- Jarvis West RS FR

Rhoads and the coaching staff is getting everything out of the players as much as they can. The future is indeed bright.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I think we already have.
    I'd agree to an extent. But this win is gonna be huge. Can you imagine being a possible recruit watching tonight on TV? Huge.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

We're all in.
    Honestly, not to bash Dan, but Rhoads has done so much more for this program in terms of excitement, and to an extent Pollard, we need to make sure we keep these guys around. I have been around Cyclone football for over 30 years and have never seen anything like this. I was a little young for the late 70s, but still don't remember anything like this for Cyclone football. These guys, we have to make sure Ames is their home.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    There is a good young nucleus forming on offensive of skill positions:

QB- Jared Barnett RS FR
    RB- Shontrelle Johnson SO
    RB- Woody Johnson RS SO
    RB- James White RS SO
    RB- Duran Hollis RS FR
    WR- Albert Gary RS SO
    WR- Jarvis West RS FR

Rhoads and the coaching staff is getting everything out of the players as much as they can. The future is indeed bright.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd agree to an extent. But this win is gonna be huge. Can you imagine being a possible recruit watching tonight on TV? Huge.
    Yes, and his other big wins is why I think he has already surpassed Mac. And I am not diminishing what Mac did for us at all.

Thumbs Up

Yes, and his other big wins is why I think he has already surpassed Mac. And I am not diminishing what Mac did for us at all.
    I agree, the wins CPR has pulled out have been huge, things we haven't done in the past. But at the end of the day, our best season has been 7 wins. DMac went 9-3 in 2000. That year was awesome.

We just need to play to our full potential for an entire season and I think with tonight's win its proof that we are on our way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

I agree, the wins CPR has pulled out have been huge, things we haven't done in the past. But at the end of the day, our best season has been 7 wins. DMac went 9-3 in 2000. That year was awesome.

We just need to play to our full potential for an entire season and I think with tonight's win its proof that we are on our way.
    Debbie Downer, but I see where you are coming from. Problem in your statement is we didn't play what we have to play now. IMO, this is the start of something great with the depth and coaching staff, only up from here. Dan started something here, but Paul will take us well above what we have done in the past.

No more Rhyming, I mean it.... Anybody want a Peanut?

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I believe Rhoads will get us there. The passion he has and the upset wins will bring recruits. Then who know where w.e go when he has talent at all the positions.

CyBer

I think we already have.
    I agree with you for once.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You are obviously a Mac homer which is fine. I am not going to argue with you tonight on the pluses and minuses of Mac after today.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    I agree with you for once.
    How does it feel to be enlightened?

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Debbie Downer, but I see where you are coming from. Problem in your statement is we didn't play what we have to play now. IMO, this is the start of something great with the depth and coaching staff, only up from here. Dan started something here, but Paul will take us well above what we have done in the past.
    That probably all came out a bit jaded, which was the point of my original post I guess.

The point is, in the past, including the last years of DMac and of course during the Chiz's reign, ISU always seemed to find ways to lose. We were so close to being Big 12 north champs and couldn't capitalize.

With CPR, I think we're finally past that, it just took me the better part of 3 seasons to get out of the rut of my old Cyclone thinking.

With tonight's game, I felt we had a chance, even when we were down 24-7. CPR's teams know how to come back and finish a game, something DMac struggled with.

Going forward I'm finally gonna stop having near heart attack's when ISU has a lead or goes into OT, cause it's been proven that we have the ability to get it done in those situations.