Thread: Kind of sad

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Kind of sad

Looking this morning at the frontpage.

It's been pretty consistent with 6 "off topic" dicussions, 1 general (the "new look" thread) and one "Rivals" about Ferentz.

Pretty psyched about NU this weekend, aren't we????

How about a new game, to get some football discussion going. And I don't want this to go negative - God knows we've had enough of that.

What will be the shinning spot for ISU on Saturday? If you ask me, last week was the offense. First time in two years we've seen anything resembling a pulse in the second half of the game - at least scoring wise. Against iowa it was clearly Special Teams, although the D was pretty good as well. The first two, nothing really "shinning", but I thought the D was ok. More so, it was a victiim of an inept offense and on the field way too much and in bad spots.

So from my view point, one part of the team steps up, one falls down. Kind of a see-saw. Who will it be this week? Anybody think there's reason to see consistency out of the O for a second week? Chance for the D to make a big splash? I think we all expect to see a different special teams output, if they aren't dragging from running every step in Story County - twice!

(Yes, dumb topic - but I'm dying for football talk. Ok, the Tom Cruise thread is entertaining as well )

Last edited by DaddyMac; 09-26-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

Re: Kind of sad

I think the Off Topics are just because people want to goof around a little bit. Im pumped about the Nebraska game. Im not down at all. The off topic stuff is just a fun break now and then and it comes in waves. I think we will play consistant on both sides of the ball. It will just be an uphill climb, but I think we can play it close.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

I think if we could actually watch a few games that are not at JTS we might get excited. My apathy level will be high until I get to do more than listen to ISU on the radio.

I feel like my following of ISU can only be those 6-7 home games anymore because I get disconnected from them on long road trips.

Last edited by brianhos; 09-26-2007 at 10:52 AM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,598
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 829

I think DaddyMac is making a fair/good statement! I am guilty of feeling "down" about football right now...I get excited every time I see a Men's Basketball post on the front page. Almost a sense of relief that I can read about another ISU sport than football.

We knew it would be a tough year but that Iowa win did the same thing it has always done for us...gives us a "high" that we have trouble dealing with because of the crash that seems to follow it all too quickly.

Really, this should be an exciting week for us...after watching NU play...it would be nice to think we could win that game! And we can! But there won't be too many ISU fans holding their breath this Saturday.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I think not being able to watch the game has alot to do with it too... I just cant get excited about listening to a game on the radio...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

I'm feeling down too - but I'm with Brian on this - I would like to be able to watch the damn game - win or lose.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

I actually have a good feeling about this weekend, although admittedly that doesn't mean anything. I think apart from Iowa, Nebraska is the game that the players get up for the most, we gave them a good game last year when we really had no business doing so.

I agree that it was great to see our offense actually DO something in the second half. Even though it was against a bad team, I think it bodes well for the rest of the season that all aspects of our game are coming along.

I also like that we didn't roll over and play dead after we gave up the lead. We marched down the field and had a chance to win the game again. I think this team has alot of fight in them, but maybe just still struggling with actually putting it all together.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Same here.

I'm feeling a little bad that I'm not jacked up for this game. Usually this is a game we look forward even when we expect to get spanked.

Let's face it, our team is a complete unknown. Play crap, play crap, play great, play well and still lose. Rolling the dice on whether well see a good game or a repeat of the 90's. We got a new coach who's already pulled out an exciting, unexpected win. We got everything to gain, pretty much nothing to lose for this game.

I will tell you what, I made the trek to Toledo and was pretty torqued coming back. But I'm pi$$ed I can't see the game this week - or next. And can't wait - ABSOLUTELY CAN'T FREAKING WAIT - for Oct 6 to get here. Don't give a rip who it is against or what the spread/speculation is.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It's very sad that in a day of podcasts, high def. TV, sattelite TV the only way to enjoy the game is listen to the game just as they did 100 years ago on AM radio.

ARCHAIC!!

TV coverage is vital now a days in college sports and I feel this is one area that JP needs to devote some serious attention to.....NOW!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I think not being able to watch the game has alot to do with it too... I just cant get excited about listening to a game on the radio...
    Same here. Especially since I won't even be able to listen to the game this weekend as I'll be out of town in KC at the NASCAR races.

I was really excited for the Toledo game but with the way that ended, it kinda hurt. I'm trying to go with the Gene Chizik demeanor...don't get too high and don't get too low.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Or you could just go to the game like I am. Lincoln just 2.5 hours away.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

B@stard!!!

Tried that, wife put the kabosh on it right quick.

She wants a little "us" time as I've been at the games the last few weeks, Chicago and Toledo for a long boys weekend this past. Tried to do the Omaha thing with a stop over in Lincoln....

From her response, one would've thought I insulted her grandmother......

Which reminds me, I need to figure out a little retreat, one where I'll be able to dial in John and Eric, and how to carve out some "me" time from 1 to about 4.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

Granted it is a little hard to be as up for a game on the road and not on tv, but I'm pumped just to see how the team will respond from last week. It will be hard to tell how pumped the team is for the game just listening to it and not seeing the players.

I wish I lived closer to lincoln because I want to go to an away game, I have only been to one and that was at Wisconsin, which needless to say has not been recently.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.