Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 48

Lets face the real truth Part II

Lets just get the "Its only one game" goofballs out of here early

Its not one game. These were things that were obvious in the exhibition game, against Lehigh and now Drake. And that will hamper this team going forward if not rectified.

I said going into the year that if Chirstopherson was a starter, then we still have a ways to go. Hes a spot shooter...period. Not a great dribbler, lazy passer as the drake game showed and cant guard a gallon of milk. But hes far from the reason this team will struggle....

Our problem is functionality. And what i mean by that is that if you look at our great teams they were functional. The pg led the team, got people in spots, and handled the ball and distributed. Our 2 guard was our shooter, post guys did their thing, etc. Bankhead is a great example of fucntional....he didnt look to score, he looked to lock up a defender and be an emotional leader. Nobody did more than they could.

Now lets look at this team. We had Royce bring it up half the time. THIS....is insane. Its hard to get into a rythm offensively when your center has to bring it up, hand it to a guard and then go get into whatever offense you run.
    You just cant have scotty bring it up. He cant drive by anyone, create for anyone, is not a great passer and if you play him at point....you take him out of being as shooter.

Allen, Babb, Mcgee are all essentially the same spot up shooter at different heights. And lets talk about mcgee for a second. nice on the ball defender, but god help us if anyone screens him.....he gets lost so easy.
    Defensively we are extremely average.....and this is before we have even played anyone with a great offense! In 3 out of 4 halves....the teams have shot at least 45% on us. Drakes second half was around 60%.

This team has talent....but you are really kidding yourself if you cant see these glaring chinks in the armor with this team that will hamper us all year. This is an average team.

What i would do:

You have to move McGee to pg. Hes a vocal leader and should be able to handle the ball well enough. And he has to do better as a team defender, not just on the ball. This gets a leader at point, and scotty can be his one trick pony out on the perimeter coming off screens.

Stop having Royce bring it up. Just because he CAN do it....doesnt mean he should. And why make a big man travel the length of the court every trip? makes no sense.

Offensively the spacing is not good, this need to be better

Defensive intensity needs to be ratcheted up 10 fold. We need to be in peoples shorts, we have the athletic talent to be a menace on defense.

I think thats a good starting point. I dont mean to offend but if you cant see these issues with the team over 3 games...then im not sure what land you live in.

The sky isnt falling, but the season will fall quick if they dont fix the things ive mentioned.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

Re: Lets face the real truth Part II

Defensively? Extremely average? Iowa State is a lot closer to extremely poor than average.

And Christopherson would be just fine offensively if there was someone distributing. If DG was running the point right now with SC, Ejim, Royce, and Babb he'd be perfectly fine. He's not a creator, but he can be a hell of a weapon to have out there when the defense wants to collapse on either Royce or a driving guard.

Defensively on the other hand...everyone needs work...a lot of work.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 28

Its year two for hoiberg, they're not a complete team. I'll still take a patchwork of good transfers over a bunch of freshman. If this team can come together, they're talented enough to make the tourney. If not they should be next year. This team will win some big games this year, but growing pains will lose us some we shouldn't. I doubt we miss at least 10 shots right underneath the basket that often.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 181

some problems take longer than 2 or 3 games to solve. I fully expect this season to be a very gradual improvement as it goes along... which I know will be very frustrating for some people.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 0

The real truth part III.

I didn't get to make the official thread, so ISU lost.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    Lets just get the "Its only one game" goofballs out of here early

Its not one game.
    ^^^This. When will people realize that we played 12 games? It's going to be hard coming back from a 1-12 record only 2 games into the season.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 518
    Given: 1,223

Clearly mattyice should be our coach instead of the bum we have now.

Saying "the sky isn't falling, but it's going to REALLY soon" is still chicken little.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 901

Fire hoiberg!

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

Quote Originally Posted by HILLCYD View Post
    Agreed. Can these threads please go away. LET MAYOR ME COACH MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

There already multiple threads that pretty much state the same thing you just did.

-I don't have any idea why RW was bringing the ball up the court and handing it off to SC, or another guard. If he is gonna take it that far, let him take it the rest of the way. We had quiet a few T.O.'s just trying to get the ball into him on the post. At one point I was ready for him to just dribble it all the way down there and let him do his own thing.

-If we had DG, we would be a very high caliber team. I'm hopping that CA can become the leader of this team. He has the most to loose if this season doesn't turn out and it seems that he has matured a lot.

-I hope McGee and CA can take over the PG role for us. Let Babb and SC come off screens, McGee has really impressed me with his defensive intensity and all around effort. I do agree that he needs to be more focused on screens, but out switching screens was a horrible idea. I think the players were confused on who to guard and when to switch back all game long. I expect this team to begin to gel through the next two weeks.

-After watching the post game interview w/ CFH I think we will see a much more intense team playing at Hilton the nxt two games and hopefully will continue on.

-We need to get Hilton rocking the next two games and get this team excited, focused, and having fun again. If everybody wants to **** and moan (not calling you out, but a lot of other ppl on this board), then they better be willing to get to Hilton and do everything they can to help them. If it still fails after that, then we have a reason to be upset. As long as they play hard and give it their all, I'll be proud of them. Our high expectations are our own faults, not theirs.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

With the talent we have and the potential shooting + RW, Even if we have 10 wins going into the B12 turny, we still have a shot. If 2-3 of our shooters get hot, we would be a very difficult team to beat. Winning the turny gets us in. Ppl give up too early.

Look at the bright side, if this year is a total failure, RW will probably be back next year, and we should have a very solid team w/ him in the starting line up.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 181

[QUOTE=mattyice;2509062]
    Stop having Royce bring it up. Just because he CAN do it....doesnt mean he should. And why make a big man travel the length of the court every trip? makes no sense.

^^this makes no sense^^ A big man has to go from paint-to-paint regardless of if he's bringing the ball with him. Or your suggesting he standing at center court and cherry pick?

For the record, I haven't seen anyone who prescribes to "it's only one game" say that this team has no issues. EVERYONE agrees we have some problems. The disagreement is about how much to freak out... which you and about six others are doing enough for the whole fanbase.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by HILLCYD View Post
    This post is spot on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 903
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 48

[quote=madcityCY;2509177]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post

^^this makes no sense^^ A big man has to go from paint-to-paint regardless of if he's bringing the ball with him. Or your suggesting he standing at center court and cherry pick?

For the record, I haven't seen anyone who prescribes to "it's only one game" say that this team has no issues. EVERYONE agrees we have some problems. The disagreement is about how much to freak out... which you and about six others are doing enough for the whole fanbase.

Well this isnt rocket science. Takes more effort to inbound the ball, get it back and dribble up the floor as opposed to letting ti go and trotting back on offense.

I mean look how many times we did that. Royce would inbound it, get it back...dribble to half court and then hand it off. Its insane.