Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How much is Lutz missed?

Last night was awfull all the way around but I put this on the coaches. I thought last year that it looked like Lutz was doing all the coaching and Im affraid that may have been the case and could really hurt us this season without him around. Any defensive sceme that ends up with Scotty gaurding a post player on the block by himself is never going to cut it. And it happened to our gaurds all night long. THe only help they got was from other gaurds too. Nobody rotated to take away the penetration when they drove to the basket. Partly White acted afraid to block shots and we were playing a smaller lineup than them. Maybe we need Railey as a presence in the paint on defense we will see soon enough or more Booker for a bigger lineup I dont know. But offensively what we were doing didnt work all game either. We couldnt get anyone open looks hence Scotty's 3 point streak ending. I know its early but our game plan didnt work, I didnt like it to start with, and we never made adjustments to fix it. They arent playing as a team yet which may come but thats partly on the coaches as well. We had the same thing last year with Anderson and the freshmen joining the lineup but they were able to come together as a team and Im affraid it may have been because of Lutz. I hope Hoiberg is ready to coach but Im affraid we may REALLY miss Lutz this year. We'll find out.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 16

Re: How much is Lutz missed?

To sum it up: ALLOT.

I really think Fred should have hired another bench coach instead of a recruiter.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Let's wait it out a little longer. Last year we also had a senior PG as our best player, that makes a huge difference. After two games it is way to early to tell if it was because of Lutz or just a bad game. Bringing in all the new guys with out a real floor leader is going to be rough at first, we just have to hope someone steps up and takes charge. I seem to remember this site being all over Lutz last year with the way we threw so many games away late. We just have to wait and see what is what early in the season.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    To sum it up: ALLOT.

I really think Fred should have hired another bench coach instead of a recruiter.
    I've never been a fan of the Mann hiring. He was brought in as a recruiter and to be a defensive guy, but neither has panned out so far (given he hasn't had a full year of recruiting, but our defense has been poor at best 3/4 halves this year). Plus, remember he showed some true professionalism and went and got a DUI his first week here.

#cyclONEnation

Shawn Kemp = Reignman forever

EVERTON! COYB

Follow me on twitter

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

I believe there is a picture floating around of CFH with a tear in his eye the day Lutz left....I assume that means a lot.

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 32

When does the how much do we miss Justin Hamilton thread begin?

Gone is gone. Play the cards you're dealt, it's always darkest before dawn, I'm running out of cliches.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

I want to see how much better NC State gets with Lutz because both ISU and NCSU are similar programs in talent and w/l records. I had numerous people close to the team say that losing Lutz hurts just as much as losing Royce to a season ending inury. The coaching staff is unbelievably green right now with Lutz having more coaching experience himself than all of Iowa State's coaches combined.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I said it last year that I was worried CFH's lack of experience could hurt us without a quality assistant like Lutz, no matter how much talent we had. Just being at games and watching on TV, it always seemed to me that Lutz was doing most of the coaching, and the players were more tuned in to what he was saying.

I still think this team is talented enough to do good things, but I won't lie, I'm a little worried about CFH's inexperience and the lack of an assistant like Lutz.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Hoiberg has Otzelberger as his top X's and O's assistant. That should give every ISU fan a cold shiver.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cydog04 View Post
    Last night was awfull all the way around but I put this on the coaches. I thought last year that it looked like Lutz was doing all the coaching and Im affraid that may have been the case and could really hurt us this season without him around. Any defensive sceme that ends up with Scotty gaurding a post player on the block by himself is never going to cut it. And it happened to our gaurds all night long. THe only help they got was from other gaurds too. Nobody rotated to take away the penetration when they drove to the basket. Partly White acted afraid to block shots and we were playing a smaller lineup than them. Maybe we need Railey as a presence in the paint on defense we will see soon enough or more Booker for a bigger lineup I dont know. But offensively what we were doing didnt work all game either. We couldnt get anyone open looks hence Scotty's 3 point streak ending. I know its early but our game plan didnt work, I didnt like it to start with, and we never made adjustments to fix it. They arent playing as a team yet which may come but thats partly on the coaches as well. We had the same thing last year with Anderson and the freshmen joining the lineup but they were able to come together as a team and Im affraid it may have been because of Lutz. I hope Hoiberg is ready to coach but Im affraid we may REALLY miss Lutz this year. We'll find out.
    This team needs a hard *** on the bench because they are clearly not responding.