Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 137

Motorcycle Helmets and Kids

Currently, Iowa does not have any law stating that motorcycle riders OF ANY AGE have to wear helmets.

Someone please explain the logic to me. EVERYONE has to wear a seat belt in a vehicle. Kids HAVE to be in a car seat up until a certain age.

I have seen, on countless occasions, an adult riding a motorcycle with a child riding on back - no helmet.

How do we justify a law stating that kids have to wear a seat belt while in a car, but are not required to have a helmet on when riding on a motorcycle?

I consider it to be child endagerment and it irks me to no end that a parent would ride a motorcycle and not at the very least have a helmet on their child.

For the record, I do have a motorcycle license and I do think if an adult wants to avoid wearing a helmet to be "cool" while risking their brains getting splattered all over the pavement then so be it. But kids... kids are another story. I do wear a helmet and I went and bought a helmet for my son. He has ridden with me, but only around the block and at very slow speeds.

Anyway... I'm done ranting.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

Re: Motorcycle Helmets and Kids

I wrote a paper on this back in the 80s in HS because I was irked at the seat belt law (it had just come out back then). I didn't think we should be told what to do for our well being and mentioned that if there was a seat belt law there ought to be a helmet law.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by temperflare View Post
    Currently, Iowa does not have any law stating that motorcycle riders OF ANY AGE have to wear helmets.

Someone please explain the logic to me. EVERYONE has to wear a seat belt in a vehicle. Kids HAVE to be in a car seat up until a certain age.

I have seen, on countless occasions, an adult riding a motorcycle with a child riding on back - no helmet.

How do we justify a law stating that kids have to wear a seat belt while in a car, but are not required to have a helmet on when riding on a motorcycle?

I consider it to be child endagerment and it irks me to no end that a parent would ride a motorcycle and not at the very least have a helmet on their child.

For the record, I do have a motorcycle license and I do think if an adult wants to avoid wearing a helmet to be "cool" while risking their brains getting splattered all over the pavement then so be it. But kids... kids are another story. I do wear a helmet and I went and bought a helmet for my son. He has ridden with me, but only around the block and at very slow speeds.

Like everyone tells me... A helmet does one of two things if you get into a motorcycle wreck..

1. Instead of dying you get to live you life as a veggie.

2. Makes your funeral an open casket cause your face was mangled.

I have a license as well and used to ride alot a few years ago. I never wore a helmet in town but always had one on when I went more then 7 miles out of town.

As far as children... There probably should be a helmet law, but as far as I'm concerned there should be age restrictions on passengers.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

adults riding without helmets trims the herd in a good way

children ... I hate to make a law for the sake of forcing people to be good parents - it's a slippery slope that leads to Congress telling you how to raise your kids. There's probably too much of that already.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 613

I support helmet wearing. It might not save you in all instances, but I would like the help it does provide in some. Better to have something than nothing.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

So when you wear a helmet do you wear full body protection as well (leather coat, chaps, gloves, heavy duty boots, etc...)? What I think is hilarious is when I see some guy going down the road that has a helmet on with shorts and a cut off t-shirt. All the helmet will do is possibly keep you conscious while the skin gets ripped off your body. For the record I have a motorcycle and do not wear a helmet. And no it isn't to look cool, it is a matter of comfort.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Someone please explain the logic to me.
    It's called Population Control!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 64

Personally I always cringe when I see a young kid on the back of a motorcycle. Perhaps I'm overly protective but I would never allow one of my kids on a back of a motorcycle but if you personally deem it safe enough for your child then they should definitely wear a helmet. Of course I'm also a staunch supporter of bicycle helmets and have brainwashed my kids to always put theirs on before riding their bikes.

So I'll agree with Bellzisu in that there should not just be a helmet law but also an age restriction for riders. No I no longer ride, the last time I was on a motorcycle was 8 years ago, about the same time my first child was born. Coincidence? Probably.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Fatsow View Post
    So when you wear a helmet do you wear full body protection as well (leather coat, chaps, gloves, heavy duty boots, etc...)? What I think is hilarious is when I see some guy going down the road that has a helmet on with shorts and a cut off t-shirt. All the helmet will do is possibly keep you conscious while the skin gets ripped off your body. For the record I have a motorcycle and do not wear a helmet. And no it isn't to look cool, it is a matter of comfort.
    a helmet hurts your head?

I'd like to see the statistics on helmet deaths to "skin-ripped offs" seems like a wifes tale to allow people to look cool. Again, I say more power too you - just make sure you're dead and have the funeral paid for, I have national defense and a generation of baby boomer's social security to pay for with my taxes.

I'm guessing there are a number of "head-trauma" related deaths that would've had only short term skin degradation. How dumb does that look? An open casket that doesn't show the damage to the back of the skull.

again, I stress - I don't want a law, I just want less dumb people.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,287
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

My cousin got in a motorcycle accident with his girlfriend. He only had 1 helmet so he gave it to his girlfriend. She was fine, he was in the hospital for like a month. He had plastic surgery on his face and he actually looks better now! I'm fine with no helmet law, even though I'd probably cringe if I saw a young child on the back not wearing one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

No way I would ever let my kids ride on a motorcycle. No way I am ever getting a motorcycle, no way are they ever getting one!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

Thought this thread was about the new uniforms announcement and the kid mistakes we are making on execution.

Yes, kids need to wear helmets. No brainer.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Iowa is one of only 3 states not to have a helmet law. They passed one in the 60s or 70s, but the "freedom of choice" people put the kabosh on that very quickly.

TRUE & VALIANT

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I hate motorcycle helmets, the things are hotter than hell in the summer. It might be safer to have one on, but life is a lot safer if you don't do a lot of things. My life probably would have been lot safer if I didn't build grain bins for 5 years, but I don't think that should be outlawed either.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Is there a passenger limit law on a motorcycle? I recently saw a guy riding a motorcycle with his wife on the back, and a very small child sitting between them. None of them were wearing helmets. Just an accident waiting to happen, if you ask me.