Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

O.T. - Who has heard about global warming?

BBC NEWS | Europe | Global warming leaves Russians cold

Global warming leaves Russians cold

By Artyom Liss
    BBC News, Moscow

More than 50% of Russians asked about global warming say they haven't heard much about it, according to a BBC World Service poll of 22,000 people in 21 countries.
    It's not easy to grow tomatoes in northern Russia

The Russian media focus on what seem to be more pressing problems.
    There are burning social issues, there's uncertainty about the security, there's a falling-out with the West, and, crucially, it is a very cold country.
    A meteorologist in Arkhangelsk, in the north of Russia, once told me: "I know global warming is a problem, but I would welcome a bit of warmth up here. Then I could grow my own tomatoes."
    We spoke as we stood on ice in the middle of the frozen Dvina river. The temperature was approaching -25C.
    Melting permafrost
    This meteorologist is by no means the only person in Russia to think this way. His view virtually mirrors the state's official position.
    As the climate warms, more of Russia's territory will be freed up for agriculture

Rinat Gizatullin, Natural Resources Ministry

Poll: Man fuels climate change

"We are not panicking. Global warming is not as catastrophic for us as it might be for some other countries," Rinat Gizatullin, a spokesman for the Natural Resources Ministry, says.
    "If anything, we'll be even better off: as the climate warms, more of Russia's territory will be freed up for agriculture and industry."
    See which countries hear most about climate change

Alexey Kokorin of WWF in Russia says Russians who are aware of global warming tend to live in some of the worst affected areas, such as Siberia, with its melting permafrost, or the Caucasus, with its regular heatwaves.
    The real problem, Mr Kokorin says, is not that people don't know what's going on, it is that they have some of the "weirdest ideas about what causes global warming, and they don't feel the need to change things".
    Quota sale
    The government says it is trying to educate people.
    But, so far, most of the steps that have been taken have been aimed at businesses, not at ordinary Russians.
    Russia has signed up to the Kyoto treaty, and the country is now expecting millions of dollars' worth of investment.
    Moscow's hope is that Western polluters will be queuing up to buy its carbon emission quotas. The money will then go into improving infrastructure and energy efficiency.
    This approach alone - focusing more on the economy than ecology - may not convince Russians that the whole world is heating up.
    But at least it will give the issue more prominence.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Re: O.T. - Who has heard about global warming?

Pile on the iron and say it is global warming, but La Nina will affect Southern Cal and Northwest:
    La Nina threatens to wreck world’s weather - Times Online

La Nina threatens to wreck world’s weather

Paul Simons

‘Fertilising’ oceans with iron may combat climate change | Damage to the planet ‘is already inevitable’
    Experts predict a run of severe weather in the coming months, with devastating floods striking some parts of the world while severe droughts afflict other regions, as the climate phenomenon known as La Niña gathers momentum.
    A chronic drought afflicting southern California and many southeastern states of America could be exacerbated, with Los Angeles heading for its driest year on record. In contrast, western Canada and the northwestern US could turn colder and snowier. Mozambique, southeast Africa, and northern Brazil may face exceptionally heavy rains and floods, while southern Brazil and much of Argentina suffer drought.
    La Niña could even rearrange the pattern of sea ice around the Antarctic, pushing the ice pack towards the Pacific side of the continent. Already, torrential rains have triggered severe floods across a huge swath of Central Africa, stretching from Senegal in the west to Uganda in the east.
    Related Links

Rupa Kumar Kolli, chief of world applications at the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) in Geneva, predicts that the worst of La Niña is yet to come. “This La Niña is now in its developing phase and getting stronger, and we can expect it to peak this coming December and January,” he said. Whether this episode of La Niña will make itself felt in Britain and continental Europe this winter is not certain. “We tend to get a mild end to winter with La Niña, but it’s not a strong signal,” said Adam Scaife, at the Hadley Centre of the Met Office in Exeter.
    Met Office scientists have found that La Niña is likely to have played a part in the abysmal British summer. By upsetting the usual track of the high-altitude jet stream towards Britain, it delivered barrages of slow-moving Atlantic depressions with torrents of rain. La Niña may also have been involved in the spectacular Asian monsoon this summer, leading to floods that killed about 1,000 people in India and Bangladesh. And it allows hurricanes to develop - already this month the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico have experienced two monstrous Category 5 storms. Another hurricane broke the record for the fastest intensification of a storm.
    La Niña occurs when the tropical seas of the Pacific off the coast of Latin America cool down, while the waters turn warmer towards Australia, the Philippines and Indonesia. That lurch in ocean temperatures can send weather systems into havoc over vast areas, delivering huge deluges of rain over the Far East and tropical Australia, while western parts of Latin America turn much drier than usual. This is the flip side of El Niño, although La Niña lasts for a shorter time, usually no more than a year.
    The way that La Niña casts its spell over the globe, from the Pacific to the rest of the world, is known as a “tele-connection”. By disrupting sea temperatures, pressure systems and winds over the Pacific, it interferes with the atmospheric circulation around the tropics. This sends out waves in the atmosphere, like casting a stone into a pond, which can change the strength and position of jet stream winds several miles high. In this way the Pacific can have a huge impact on the weather far from the tropics.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 316

Bryceman, Im calling your boss. We need to get you some more work to do. =)

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I was waiting for the next Global Warming thread......not really.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

My view on global warming:

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 334

If you haven't seen it yet then watch

The Great Global Warming Swindle

I'm far from a scientist but it's a pretty interesting documentary.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

We all know that the climate of the earth has changed many times, having an ice age at one time. If global warming is true and the ice caps are melting, who says that we just aren't going through a stage opposite of the ice age where it is warm or mild all year around.

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by PreLives View Post
    We all know that the climate of the earth has changed many times, having an ice age at one time. If global warming is true and the ice caps are melting, who says that we just aren't going through a stage opposite of the ice age where it is warm or mild all year around.
    Those that can make ungodly sums of money and politicians that can get themselves into office by means of scaring the general public that a crisis is at hand and their way is the only way to fix it. Like I said earlier - "The sky is falling."

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 601

Pretty sure that people who are freezing their a$$es off could care less about water levels in Indonesia rising 8" over the next 100 years.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I think it was time magazine that has a whole issue devoted to Global Warming that I saw at a store just this weekend.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks