Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 0

Tyrus McGee

I mentioned this in another thread, but would Tyrus McGee be considered a recruiting "miss". Not that he isn't a great player, and is a Big 12 caliber player, because he probably is, but just the fact that what we desperately needed with DG's departure was a stud JUCO PG, and it appears that McGee isn't really a PG, but more of a 2 guard.

I really think Fred believed that McGee could come in and play the PG position, and maybe he will eventually, but if Scotty is playing PG and McGee isn't, then McGee must really not be able to handle the PG spot?

I just wonder if Tavon Sledge shouldn't be our #1 PG? I know some people say he's more of a scorer too, but if he can just become a guy that is a tremendous ball handler and can get us into our sets, then why not go with him? Tell him that his job is to bring the ball up, don't turn it over, and get our shooters the ball.

It just seems we have too many of the same type of players and not enough role players. We need someone that can just pass the ball to our shooters, and we also need someone that does the dirty work like Godfrey did last year in rebounding and tough defense inside. I'm hoping that either Booker or Gibson can be that "enforcer" type guy that Godfrey was?

I just hope today to see a team that gets into the flow better offensively, and also runs a LOT more than the first game. We seemed out of sync most of the first game offensively, and we never got in transition either. Right now our chemistry isn't there, and that was the major concern going into the season. We have all these talented scorers of the basketball, but are missing some of the role players. In our first game it was not meshing together. Fred kept trying different lineups to try to find something that worked, but nothing ever seemed to get us on a roll. I hope to see that improve today.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 1,035

Re: Tyrus McGee

He has played one exhibition game. This is outright stupid. Nobody is a miss after one exhibition game. He won't be a miss after today, either. Give the kid a chance to adjust to D-I a little bit. He'll probably be fantastic.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 33

You can't say that McGee was a miss, because he will be a good player for us. Fred's PG recruiting strategy was probably a miss. He was hoping McGee could play PG for us, but that isn't his natural position. It's just too bad that we didn't sign a Juco PG that was actually a true PG.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    You can't say that McGee was a miss, because he will be a good player for us. Fred's PG recruiting strategy was probably a miss. He was hoping McGee could play PG for us, but that isn't his natural position. It's just too bad that we didn't sign a Juco PG that was actually a true PG.
    This is exactly what I'm saying. I don't know how anyone could take my original post and think I was down on Tyrus McGee at all. I said he was a very good player, and a Big 12 caliber player, but he isn't what we really needed with his scholarship.

Maybe he will turn out to be our starting PG this year, I don't know how it will go? But right now he isn't being mentioned at all as a PG. Fred has talked about Scotty, Chris Allen, Bubu, and Sledge handling the PG spot, but not McGee.

It's not McGee's fault at all that he's not a true PG. I think it was a scouting problem that we thought McGee could be a PG, but obviously it turns out that he probably can't?

We DESPERATELY needed a stud true JUCO PG to come in to take over for DG. I think Fred thought McGee could be that guy. Right now it looks like he can't, so that would be a recruiting "miss" in my view. Maybe McGee will end up being our PG, who knows what will happen as the season goes on, but right now I think it was a "miss" on Fred's part.... not McGee's.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 836
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    This is exactly what I'm saying. I don't know how anyone could take my original post and think I was down on Tyrus McGee at all. I said he was a very good player, and a Big 12 caliber player, but he isn't what we really needed with his scholarship.

Maybe he will turn out to be our starting PG this year, I don't know how it will go? But right now he isn't being mentioned at all as a PG. Fred has talked about Scotty, Chris Allen, Bubu, and Sledge handling the PG spot, but not McGee.

It's not McGee's fault at all that he's not a true PG. I think it was a scouting problem that we thought McGee could be a PG, but obviously it turns out that he probably can't?

We DESPERATELY needed a stud true JUCO PG to come in to take over for DG. I think Fred thought McGee could be that guy. Right now it looks like he can't, so that would be a recruiting "miss" in my view. Maybe McGee will end up being our PG, who knows what will happen as the season goes on, but right now I think it was a "miss" on Fred's part.... not McGee's.
    based on evidence from one game. Back away from the cliff.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We weren't exactly running plays in the exhibition game. Nobody has really shown that they can or can't do anything. Give it time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 858

One exhibition game and people are questioning the competency of the coach staff. Brilliant.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

Don't get me wrong, its great to have a true PG. But I think we can get by without one for a year. Not many teams have a Point Forward like we do. Allen can also see a good deal of handling even though he isn't actually the PG. Christopherson has been working on it all since last year so even he might be better than you expect. But just because we don't have a true one to start the year, doesn't mean McGee or Sledge can't take it over by the end of the year. But the style we play anyways, there's going to be a lot of subbing either way.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    We weren't exactly running plays in the exhibition game. Nobody has really shown that they can or can't do anything. Give it time.
    The fact that Scottie is playing alot of point, is a pretty good indicator that none of the other players like Allen or Mcgee are playing the PG position that effectively, at least in practice and pre-season scrimmages. We know Scottie's game very well, and he is a shooting guard, not a point guard. I don't see any reason why we would move Scottie off his natural position, where he has proven to be most effective, if one of the other guys was as good or better at PG.

Hopefully we can overcome this, but it is our known weakness at this point. If we play well as a team moving the ball around and help out whoever is at PG when he is pressured, we can overcome this and have a great season. Sure would love to have KL eligible this year though. Edit: And no, Mcgee shouldn't be considered a miss because he will be a major piece the next two years at SG.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    The fact that Scottie is playing alot of point, is a pretty good indicator that none of the other players like Allen or Mcgee are playing the PG position that effectively, at least in practice and pre-season scrimmages. We know Scottie's game very well, and he is a shooting guard, not a point guard. I don't see any reason why we would move Scottie off his natural position, where he has proven to be most effective, if one of the other guys was as good or better at PG.

Hopefully we can overcome this, but it is our known weakness at this point. If we play well as a team moving the ball around and help out whoever is at PG when he is pressured, we can overcome this and have a great season. Sure would love to have KL eligible this year though.
    Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with getting a better SG and wanting all of our best players on the court as much as possible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It would be interesting to go back and look at Fred's comments when McGee was signed. Did he talk about McGee being a PG for us? Or was that just an assumption that many people made? Do we really know what Fred's vision for this team was? Maybe he was fine with doing PG by committee all along.

Either way, it's hard to say anyone is a "miss" before the season even starts.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Did I go into a coma for the first 10 games, wake up and we are 7-3 because that would be the only thing to explain this thread.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post

Hopefully we can overcome this, but it is our known weakness at this point. If we play well as a team moving the ball around and help out whoever is at PG when he is pressured, we can overcome this and have a great season. Sure would love to have KL eligible this year though. Edit: And no, Mcgee shouldn't be considered a miss because he will be a major piece the next two years at SG.
    I agree with most of what you're saying, especially the 2nd paragraph.

As far as Scottie playing PG the most, Royce brought it up a whole lot, and Chris Allen hardly played in the exhibition. I'm sure Scottie plays PG more than Chris, at least at first, but we don't really know much yet. But you agreed on that, so I'm really just saying it again.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    One exhibition game and people are questioning the competency of the coach staff. Brilliant.
    It's clonedude. What else can you expect out of him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with getting a better SG and wanting all of our best players on the court as much as possible.
    You really think Scottie would be playing the PG position if one of the others like Allen or Mcgee were more effective at the position? That is why Scottie is playing point guard this year. Don't kid yourself, Hoiberg is going to start whoever is best at the PG position at PG, and apparently that is Scottie, who we know is a natural SG. I'm still pumped for this season but to act like it isn't a concern is just silly.