Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 29

Locating property pins, Ankeny

So the city will not come out and locate my pins for me. They'll give me some measurements, but nothing more than what I could get from the Assessor's website. And the measurements (distance between the pins) don't do me any good without a reliable, visible reference point of some kind.

Anyone know of a service or someone I can call to get this done?

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Re: Locating property pins, Ankeny

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    So the city will not come out and locate my pins for me. They'll give me some measurements, but nothing more than what I could get from the Assessor's website. And the measurements (distance between the pins) don't do me any good without a reliable, visible reference point of some kind.

Anyone know of a service or someone I can call to get this done?
    Any surveying company or civil engineer can locate the property pins. A metal detector can find them for you as well. Why do you need the pins? Existing house?

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant Clone View Post
    Any surveying company or civil engineer can locate the property pins. A metal detector can find them for you as well. Why do you need the pins? Existing house?
    Just moved in and there are no fences. I have a suspicion that one of my neighbors' mow lines is creeping into my property by a few feet. I just want to get a better feel for where the lines are.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 71

most cities/counties will not locate property pins.

there are quite a few survey companies in Ankeny to pick from and all do a good job. call them up and compare prices. if you are in a newer subdivision, should be reasonable.

Last edited by cyclonesurveyor; 11-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 39

Just moved in and there are no fences. I have a suspicion that one of my neighbors' mow lines is creeping into my property by a few feet. I just want to get a better feel for where the lines are.
    I work for Bishop Engineering in Urbandale. We are a civil engineering and land surveying firm, and we do work all around the Des Moines metro. I'm an engineer so I can't tell you exactly how much it would cost, but give us a call if you're interested in getting more information and a quote. Number is 515-276-0467.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 69

Do any of your neighbors have fences or previously located pins? If you can find any starting point of another pin this will help.

I'm not gonna lie it's a real PITA but you can do it yourself without a survey firm.

- A metal detector can help. Get a good one and understand how it works. I didn't and it made it harder to use.

- The pin itself will look like a super large nail with maybe a plastic cap on top.

- Once you find one use the measurements off the assessors site. This step ties in with the next one.

- Get a string or rope line and cut to length. Use that to narrow your search area.

- Get utilities marked before you start. Make sure that the metal "clink" you hear when digging is a pin not a wire or pipe. :-)

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Why do you care if he is mowing on your side?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 61

I worked for a survey firm out of Jefferson for about 10 years and did this all the time. If you're going for a complete survey then that involves a little courthouse time (unless you find the firm that actually pinned the subdivision), the actual survey and a plat of your lot which usually is recorded at the courthouse which would be suggested if you're intending to do any type of improvements (fence, hedges)). Do NOT do any improvements without knowing exactly where your pins are located as I've seen countless neighbor disputes which lead to a fence being moved. You'll know a pin when you see it as they're almost always rerod, usually with some kind of cap with the surveyor's number stamped on it. You can do like I did in Bella Vista and rent a metal detector (ok, I didn't rent it, I borrowed one from the firm I worked for) and find them yourself but it's almost always best to have the survey documented, not necessary but definitely suggested.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You can usually tell by the sidewalks. Unless the all the sidewalks were poured at once (not likely) there should be a cold joint between your sidewalk and your neighbors. You would generally see an expansion joint (black stuff 1/2" wide" at this junction.)

If you find this point the property pin is generally located 1' outside of the side walk towards the house side. Starting digging.

Good Luck