Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

Help with a virus problem????

Had no problems with computer until yesterday morning. All the sudden my computer locked up to the point I had to hit the power button to shut it off so I could reboot. It worked fine when I rebooted it until I put it in hibernate mode to bring it to work.

I get to work and start it up again and I start getting pop ups for a "System Security" antivirus program which stopped and then a "Privacy Protection" antivirus program started giving me pop ups and basically attached itself to the exe files so I couldn't open task manager or go online to look for help. I went to another computer and looked it up and booted in safe mode got it killed so I could load up Malawarebytes Anti-Malaware which after trying 2-3 times to scan before it would get shut down finally got to the end allowing me to kill it enough to run my computer. Scanned it again and it found two more corrupted files and I got rid of them.

I do some work from home so I took the laptop home thinking all was fixed. Worked for about an hour and the Privacy protection virus popups come up again. I start of the malaware program that found more files and deleted them. I then signed up with the real time protection on that Malawarebytes program and seems to be running OK other than I get notifications from Malawarebytes that my it is preventing malicious sites and references bing.exe and svchost.exe. My Trend Micro which scanning found nothing on this has been giving me repeated messages today saying it is preventing a TROJ_SEFBOV.DAM from downloading. But I follow the location and can't find it and I have the show hidden files checked.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? It even messed with the search engines on Firefox and IE so I could type in a search and it would take me to a bogus website.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 107

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 153

Re: Help with a virus problem????

Something similar happened to me a while back. Once I ran a scan, I restored to a point a few days before the issues started. I ran a scan again after rebooting and have not had an issue since. Might be a good idea to install Avira and run a complete scan with it as well.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 65

Try combofix. Works like a charm. Make sure to follow the instructions and do read them all before you start.

A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply. In reading the instructions they say to back up your computer which I am doing right now. But don't I run the risk of saving the trojan file in my computer backup so when I get it fixed, I'll just screw it up again if I back it up?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. In reading the instructions they say to back up your computer which I am doing right now. But don't I run the risk of saving the trojan file in my computer backup so when I get it fixed, I'll just screw it up again if I back it up?
    Don't set a restore point or back up the whole drive. Just back up any files that you absolutely can't lose.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    Something similar happened to me a while back. Once I ran a scan, I restored to a point a few days before the issues started. I ran a scan again after rebooting and have not had an issue since. Might be a good idea to install Avira and run a complete scan with it as well.
    This. The last time that I had a virus, I just performed a system restore in Windows to the day before the virus had hit me. Worked like a charm. Then, I went and updated my virus protection software. I have actually had the best luck with the FREE Microsoft Security Essentials. It runs very quietly in the background and have had zero issues on all of my machines since installing. (I've had issues with McAfee and Symantec products giving me severe performance issues in the past.) I'm sure there will be some advising against the Microsoft product, but it's worked for me.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyCy View Post
    This. The last time that I had a virus, I just performed a system restore in Windows to the day before the virus had hit me. Worked like a charm. Then, I went and updated my virus protection software. I have actually had the best luck with the FREE Microsoft Security Essentials. It runs very quietly in the background and have had zero issues on all of my machines since installing. (I've had issues with McAfee and Symantec products giving me severe performance issues in the past.) I'm sure there will be some advising against the Microsoft product, but it's worked for me.
    I'm not a big Microsoft fan but I use their Security Essentials on all my machines.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 796
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Try combofix. Works like a charm. Make sure to follow the instructions and do read them all before you start.

A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix
    Hold on, not so fast... lol, he a virus, something that can easily be taken care of. ComboFix is the last resort if nothing can fix it. It can corrupt your entire OS if one extra button is pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyCy View Post
    Sys Restore can be good in this situation. I also recommend these steps first.

1. Boot in Safe Mode
    2. Check the Startup files folder (make sure nothing out of the ordinary)
    3. Run msconfig look in startup items (again check for suspicious items)
    4. Run malwarebytes off flash drive
    5. Run MSSS (Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper) from flash drive at bootup
    6. Restart
    7. Download MSE and run full scan (Security Essentials)
    8. Enable Firewall (check and make sure it is running)
    9. Restart

10. If all else fails restore. Restores dont ALWAYS take care of the virus.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I also use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and I'm very satisfied with it. I never had problems until now. I hope it will stay like this ;)
    I also have some experience with other antivirus programs. I updated them regulary and scanned the system, but nevertheless there appeared problems! I'm really not sure why this happens. I will use Microsoft from now on.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have my computer functional now but every 16 minutes I get a message from Trend Micro that is is preventing the Trojan virus I typed above from downloading. I have the Malawarebytes with real time protection on and am constantly getting pop up messages from it saying it has prevented going to a malicious site. I have run multiple scans with trend micro, with malaware bytes both in normal mode and safe mode. I have been helping wrap up harvest for a friend so haven't been able to spend a lot of time trying tofix it but when we get done in a day or two I plan on following some of the directions found on the thread.

It's a frustrating problem. Can I download the Microsoft Security Essentials with trend micro on and not screw anything up. Shut of Trend Micro to scan with MSE?

Anyway, heading back out to the field so I won't be around for the day, but I sure appreciate the help. Happy Friday to all.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Try combofix. Works like a charm. Make sure to follow the instructions and do read them all before you start.A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

rooted. combofix is the answer