Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle vs Nook

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 538
    Given: 72

Kindle vs Nook

I am hoping for some advice here. My significant other wants a Nook for Christmas. I have no problem getting her one of those but from what I can see, Amazon offers more in terms of movies and extras outside of her reading device. I don't want to get her something she doesn't want either but from what I see the Kindle Fire is just a much better all around deal. I don't know anything about either device as I have only used kindle on my tablet and phone so I am hoping someone on here can help me out and tell me if I am right or if they are about equal. If they are equal I will certainly go with the Nook so that at least if it isn't better it's not my fault.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Prospect
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Kindle vs Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I am hoping for some advice here. My significant other wants a Nook for Christmas. I have no problem getting her one of those but from what I can see, Amazon offers more in terms of movies and extras outside of her reading device. I don't want to get her something she doesn't want either but from what I see the Kindle Fire is just a much better all around deal. I don't know anything about either device as I have only used kindle on my tablet and phone so I am hoping someone on here can help me out and tell me if I am right or if they are about equal. If they are equal I will certainly go with the Nook so that at least if it isn't better it's not my fault.
    Are you comparing the Kindle Fire to the Nook Tablet, or comparing the e-readers?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
    Are you comparing the Kindle Fire to the Nook Tablet, or comparing the e-readers?
    Sorry, Fire vs Tablet

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

It just depends on what she wants to use it for. If she wants to use it for a reading only or mostly reading device, I would recommend getting either brand so long as you get the latest E-Ink version. If you are getting a device for reading, you don't want to be staring at an LCD screen for hours and burn your eyes out.

If she wants to use it as a tablet device, I'd recommend looking at something like the Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, iPad 2, etc. You're going to get a better experience as a tablet if you get a dedicated tablet device vs an e-reader with tacked on tablet features.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

One thing that some people overlook is that both Kindle and Nook are "walled gardens," in that they are a bit like Apple products: they own your books and other downloads, and basically "license" them to the user.

For some people, this is gobbledygook, and they don't care. For others, this is a surprise when, for example, Amazon decides to punish publishers by not offering their books to kindle users, or worse, decides to take back products that the user has already purchased.

Basically, if she is fine with the iPhone and the rights and portability headaches that people complain about with iTunes, she'll be fine with either Nook or Kindle, although Kindle is a little bit of a harsher company when it comes to end-user rights.

If, on the other hand, that's a problem and all she wants is a simple device to read books on in open format (that she owns/controls) then you should take a look at the Kobo etouch reader. It also has more options for social media sharing of books, and such, if she's big into that.

The big question is this: what does she want an e-reader for? To read books? To multi-task a ton of media (like a low-end tablet?) To look at pictures?

The answer to those questions will help you decide what to get her. If she's seen the nook, is comfortable with the nook, by all means, get her the nook. Women have a lot of reasons for liking the things they like, and they only share 11% of those reasons with their boyfriends (scientific fact. That percentage goes down after marriage.) So you are skating on thin ice trying to guess the objective "ideal" for her.

On the other hand, if she's just talking about a Nook in generic terms, find out if she wants a ton of gee whiz features out of the box. If so, she might want a Fire (esp. if the reason she wanted a Nook was because it has color).

But don't guess. If you want to "surprise" her and not discuss the gift in advance, be smart and safe and get a Nook. If, after the fact, there's an opportunity to discuss the advantages of Kindle Fire, then bring it up. You can always return the Nook.

But if what she wants to do is simply read .epub files from any source, then I recommend the Kobo.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

She basically just wants a reading device but if I am spending the money, I want to her to get the most out of it. Right now she doesn't care about the rest of the stuff but the prices are similar so if I can get something good from one or the other I want to do that. I am a big fan of Amazon Prime and also their Cloud stuff. I have no doubt the Nook would satisfy her, but I think in the end she would use some of the prime and cloud features.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

For her, either one is a fine choice for a 7 inch (screen). If she wants a 10 inch, go for the iPad or vroom XOOM.

I like the fact the nook tablet can have extra memory added from the outside.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 31

First off - full disclosure-i work at Barnes & Noble. Major differences between the Fire and the nook Tablet are: Tablet has a slightly faster processor (1.2 ghz vs 1.0 ghz), tablet has more internal memory (16G vs 8G), tablet has more RAM (1G vs 512k), tablet also can support an SD memory card up to 32G. Fire does not have expandable memory. Nook Tablet will have streaming video capability through providers like Netflix and Hulu Plus. The streaming video that Amazon provides is only available to Amazon Prime members, although I believe you get a free two month membership with purchase of the Fire.
    The only incorrect information I have noticed is the person who said that Barnes & Noble doesn't carry every publisher. That's not true. If the publisher makes their book available as an e-book, we will sell it to you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 448
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    For her, either one is a fine choice for a 7 inch (screen). If she wants a 10 inch, go for the iPad or vroom XOOM.

I like the fact the nook tablet can have extra memory added from the outside.
    My favorite right now might be this one that's coming soon:
    Asus Announces the Transformer Prime – The World’s First Tegra 3 Quad-core Tablet, Priced at $499 – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Prospect
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CLONEing around View Post
    First off - full disclosure-i work at Barnes & Noble. Major differences between the Fire and the nook Tablet are: Tablet has a slightly faster processor (1.2 ghz vs 1.0 ghz), tablet has more internal memory (16G vs 8G), tablet has more RAM (1G vs 512k), tablet also can support an SD memory card up to 32G. Fire does not have expandable memory. Nook Tablet will have streaming video capability through providers like Netflix and Hulu Plus. The streaming video that Amazon provides is only available to Amazon Prime members, although I believe you get a free two month membership with purchase of the Fire.
    The only incorrect information I have noticed is the person who said that Barnes & Noble doesn't carry every publisher. That's not true. If the publisher makes their book available as an e-book, we will sell it to you.
    Actually Netflix and Hulu are also available on the Kindle Fire, and you don't need a prime membership to view streaming videos from Amazon. That is only needed to view "free" streaming videos available with the prime service, but you can always purchase and rent movies through their video-on-demand section. Also, videos and music purchased on Amazon and stored in their cloud don't count against the 5GB storage limit on your account, so it is essentially unlimited as long as you purchase from them. You can download this content to your Fire for offline usage as wanted, or stream it if you are online.

Amazon Media Room: Press Releases

The nook tablet has superior hardware. I personally think the Kindle Fire will have more support, but I could be wrong there.

Either way she should be happy, but if she wants the Nook, get her the Nook.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Make mine a Corvette. Who needs a laptop?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CLONEing around View Post
    Amazon doesn't need the hard drive with Cloud. I have also read a lot of stuff saying the Fire is just as fast. That said, I am going against my inner Amazon Fanboy and going with the Nook. That's mostly because that's what she said she wanted.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 800

She basically just wants a reading device but if I am spending the money, I want to her to get the most out of it. Right now she doesn't care about the rest of the stuff but the prices are similar so if I can get something good from one or the other I want to do that. I am a big fan of Amazon Prime and also their Cloud stuff. I have no doubt the Nook would satisfy her, but I think in the end she would use some of the prime and cloud features.
    If she just wants it for reading, I'd go with one of the e-ink devices. I just got the new Kindle for my birthday and love it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,117
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 603
    Given: 945

My wife just had the same choice and we ended up getting her the Nook.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    If she just wants it for reading, I'd go with one of the e-ink devices. I just got the new Kindle for my birthday and love it.
    Yeah, but then she will find out what she could have had and want that. Let's just cut out that step.

Or so I have read.