Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Three chances

CPR has beaten every go-forward Big 12 team that he's coached against other than the last three teams on the schedule this year. This is the first time he will face both Oklahoma schools in the same season, and gets them back to back at their collective strongest stretch in history. Kansas State may not be as good as their record, but they took OSU to the wire on the road. As unlikely as it seems, I still see Rhoads getting his first career win against one of these schools this year. All three teams have looked elite at times, but have weaknesses. All three are relatively one-dimensional on offense, and have given up points in spurts on defense. Oklahoma offenses are built to come from behind, so we'd need a 2009 Nebraska-type meltdown to beat them. We had trouble with UNI's mobile qb, but hopefully we've improved in that situation.

No matter what, we are guaranteed to have the third consecutive season where every single game has mattered. Even if we lose out and miss a bowl at 5-7 for the second straight year, that is about as impressive of a start as anyone could expect at ISU!

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 17

Re: Three chances

I have not seen much of Oklahoma State this year, but they sound pass happy. Oklahoma, IMO, is not a come from behind offense, they are a pile it on type of team. K-State is not going to blow anyone out because they just try to control the clock. With Broyles out it hurts OUs offense big time, our defense has shown what it can do to a jet tempo offense that passes and if I am not mistaken Oklahoma State is jet tempo too. I have a feeling one of those games is going to be very very close with a possible victory while the other could easily be a blowout.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by tyler24 View Post
    I have not seen much of Oklahoma State this year, but they sound pass happy. Oklahoma, IMO, is not a come from behind offense, they are a pile it on type of team. K-State is not going to blow anyone out because they just try to control the clock. With Broyles out it hurts OUs offense big time, our defense has shown what it can do to a jet tempo offense that passes and if I am not mistaken Oklahoma State is jet tempo too. I have a feeling one of those games is going to be very very close with a possible victory while the other could easily be a blowout.
    Oklahoma State can throw it all over you or run it all over you.

Oklahoma can put points up as well as anybody. They looked like **** against Tech no doubt, but I have my doubts it becomes a habit. Broyles hurts, but the fact is that they still have EXCELLENT receivers.

Kansas State can run the score up on you if you can't stop the run. If we struggle as badly against Kansas State as we did with Missouri, we'll get beat just as badly.

Finally, Iowa State's defense has looked good twice in conference play...against the two worst teams in the conference. It was awful the first 4 weeks.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Oklahoma State can throw it all over you or run it all over you.

Oklahoma can put points up as well as anybody. They looked like **** against Tech no doubt, but I have my doubts it becomes a habit. Broyles hurts, but the fact is that they still have EXCELLENT receivers.

Kansas State can run the score up on you if you can't stop the run. If we struggle as badly against Kansas State as we did with Missouri, we'll get beat just as badly.

Finally, Iowa State's defense has looked good twice in conference play...against the two worst teams in the conference. It was awful the first 4 weeks.
    I'd say the way we shut down Texas Tech was pretty impressive, that is a good offense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

Don't remove the intangibles.

Kansas State is looking at a major skid coming into the ISU game if things stay the way they are. Offensively, I'm still stunned that no one has really shut them down outside of OU. Klein is a great runner, but he can't throw, and their running backs are decent at best. They run the damn Wildcat every down, but no one seems to bother stacking the box.

Anyway, KSU will likely have nothing to play for against ISU. The game will not impact what happens at the end of their season. They will be out of the conference title race, have no hope for an at-large BCS bid, and will be in a warm weather bowl. If ISU is healthy for that game, we can go into Manhattan and win. It wouldn't be the most shocking victory Rhoads has put together, that's for sure.

I see little to no chance against OSU and OU, both of whom will be in the National title hunt when we play them.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

I'd say the way we shut down Texas Tech was pretty impressive, that is a good offense.
    Tech is in the bottom third of the conference.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Tech is in the bottom third of the conference.
    They may be in the bottom third of the conference but they are very good offensively. You cannot argue facts.
    2011 NCAA Division I-A College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Total - ESPN

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

They may be in the bottom third of the conference but they are very good offensively. You cannot argue facts.
    2011 NCAA Division I-A College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Total - ESPN
    Facts and statistics are two different things.

Anywho, everybody raves about Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon, but OSU's offensive line is probably the best in college football. They can run or pass as they please because they can impose their will in the trenches. If you're going to beat a team like this, you have to confuse the opposing offense through schemes and force turnovers, and keep your offense on the field and scoring points (both of which Iowa State has done under Rhoads). It won't be easy, but it's by no means impossible.

Oklahoma seems much weaker without their reliable running back Dominique Whaley and stud wide out Ryan Broyles' career ending too early. If Kenny Stills and Jaz Reynolds can be controlled, Oklahoma looks a bit more vulnerable than they did at the start of the season. Think about our defensive game plan against Mizzou last year. Our offense is going to have to have the game of their lives against that Oklahoma defense, though.

K-State is like us, except their new QB didn't get hurt in week 3. I can't say I'm scared that we won't stack up next to them. Should be a close game, closer than anybody in the media will be willing to admit.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Why do people consider it a given that K-State is going to lose their next two games? Just because Oklahoma killed them? A&M is now 5-4 and is only a 4.5 point favorite in Manhattan. Texas is 6-2, but their conference wins are against the bottom of the conference and they're only a 1 point favorite at Missouri this week. K-State has won three straight against Texas, including 39-14 last year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if K-State won either of those games or even both of them.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post
    Anywho, everybody raves about Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon, but OSU's offensive line is probably the best in college football. They can run or pass as they please because they can impose their will in the trenches. If you're going to beat a team like this, you have to confuse the opposing offense through schemes and force turnovers, and keep your offense on the field and scoring points (both of which Iowa State has done under Rhoads). It won't be easy, but it's by no means impossible.
    Interestingly, Okie State's starting center Grant Garner was committed to ISU before Mac "resigned". He was on the preseason watch list for the Rimington Award. Too bad Chizik couldn't have kept him.

Okie State's offensive line is kind of the model for what Rhoads/Herman/Bliel want ISU's line to look like in the future. They're big enough, but they sacrifice some size for athleticism. All of their starters are juniors and seniors who were two or three star recruits. The same thing has been started here at ISU as you can see with Farniok, Gannon, etc. That group will be really good when they're upperclassmen. I'm actually really excited to see what our offense will look like in a couple years. The offense will be improved next year, but it will be exceptional in 2013 and 2014.

Last edited by cyfan15; 11-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 275

Chances we win each game individually:
    OKstate- 15%
    Oklahoma-10%
    KSU- 35%

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Chances we win each game individually:
    OKstate- 15%
    Oklahoma-10%
    KSU- 35%
    See, I'm showing KSU as 33.3 (repeating of course)

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    See, I'm showing KSU as 33.3 (repeating of course)
    Alright guys, let do this!! CYCLONE NATIIIIIOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 363

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Don't remove the intangibles.

Kansas State is looking at a major skid coming into the ISU game if things stay the way they are. Offensively, I'm still stunned that no one has really shut them down outside of OU. Klein is a great runner, but he can't throw, and their running backs are decent at best. They run the damn Wildcat every down, but no one seems to bother stacking the box.

Anyway, KSU will likely have nothing to play for against ISU. The game will not impact what happens at the end of their season. They will be out of the conference title race, have no hope for an at-large BCS bid, and will be in a warm weather bowl. If ISU is healthy for that game, we can go into Manhattan and win. It wouldn't be the most shocking victory Rhoads has put together, that's for sure.

I see little to no chance against OSU and OU, both of whom will be in the National title hunt when we play them.
    It actually worries me that KSU could be on a complete skid heading into the game. They will be much more amped to end their season with a conference win. Still the most winnable of the three. Of course last year we would have said Colorado, not Nebraska, should have been the most winnable of our last three games. Not comparable to OSU/OU of course, but still something to think about.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I can't decide just which one of the three remaining games we will win...

...so let's just start by beating OSU and follow it up with the other two as well!!!

GO CLONES! 9-4 season for Rhoads' third season! Yes!