Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 350

My look at this football season

So far it has gone just how I thought it would. I thought we had a chance before the season to beat UNI. After Kent State I knew we were in trouble.

All you people griping won't be griping the whole year. We will beat someone we are not expected to even come close to Beating. My feeling is Nebraska will steam role us. I know they are not that good but we are just not up to it yet. I think we shock the world and beat Texas. Just a hunch. Texas never really kills us. They will probably look past us. If we don't beat them I think we give them a hell of a game.

I think OU will beat us by 40 points. They beat everyone else by 40. Why not us.

Then I think we pick one or two wins up the rest of the way.

I think we win 3 or 4. By the way. Next year we will probably win 2 or 3 before making progress the year after that. So as a State fan for 33 years. Take it from me. Have patience. If you don't you will get gray hairs early.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Re: My look at this football season

I've been a State fan for 36 years. To think that I've blamed our son for my gray hairs all of this time. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Knownothing!
    Mrs. yCy

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 350

Your son has nothing to do with your hair. It's the Cyclone football program. Let me ask you this. Has your son ever missed a field goal in crunch time?

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I watched Drake beat us 20-0 in 1957. Mighty "Moe" Nichols running the single wing for Jim Myers. The season ended up the best in 10 years and brought hope to Cyclone Nation. Jim Myers left after one year to go to Texas A&M, dashing those hopes. That was my freshman year at ISU. Not much has changed. Being a Cyclone Fanatic builds character.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 603
    Given: 389

Guess our losses to Kent state, UNI, and Toledo means we will not be on TV soon. Mediacom could have shown several games.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I actually think we will play the Huskers tough. This team is not far from putting it all together. Toledo was a game on the schedule that we knew was going to be tough. It is our first road game with a new staff. They were predicted to win their side of the MAC in my preseason magazine. They do have talent.
    For some odd reason, I have a good feeling about the game Saturday in Lincoln. If we can win the turnover game I think we win the game. Our own stupid mistakes are whats costing us right now. Hopefully, the game Saturday made us realize how mentally prepared we need to be to win.

Drews79

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 26

I think besides the OU game we will play close to most teams. As least be going into the 4th with a realistic chance at winning. Which sure beats last year when we were out of the game by halftime several times. Then all we need is games like Iowa where we put it together for most of the game and win a couple. I say two wins in the conference, maybe 3.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I've been trying to find some of these old posts right before the season started where some people here were telling us we'd win 6-7 games and how those of us who were more around the 4 win prediction were being pessimistic and such. Bet some more people would now find some of those posts crazy talk now that we've seen this team play.

This is just like basketball season, after we nearly beat Kansas everyone got too excited and thought we'd make the big jump in the first year of a new coach only to be disappointed later. Although this time we didn't even really get off to a good start to back up all the preseason excitement. I'm guessing we'll probably have a similar thing happen again this year in basketball too. I'm being cautiously optimistic about the basketball season until we see this team play some decent competition. There is some talent there but I don't think it will be ready to compete at this level quite yet and we'll probably have a similar season to that of last year.

Ok, sorry to get off track a little there by changing the sport subject...

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't remember what I predicted for the season, but I DO remember saying that all I wanted to see was improvement from week to week. I'm seeing that. (With the exception of the last 5 minutes), the team that was on the field Saturday night against Toledo has VASTLY improved from the team that walked on to JTS to play Kent State.

I saw all but one game (Colorado) last year, and the one thing that struck both myself and FG was that the product on the field looked exactly the same from week to week. A lot of the games actually started to blend together. At least this year there's some improvement, and I honestly think we'll win at least one conference game. It probably won't be UT or OU, but I do think we'll improve enough to pull one off somewhere.

One final thought. I don't care what the win/loss records say, this team is better than the one we had last year. I actually quipped on the car ride home that the Toledo game was a result of karma. Let's face it folks, we should have lost to Toledo, UNI, and UNLV last year. I personally feel that the results of the Toledo and UNI games are some sort of penance for what we stole last year.

I really hope my theory is proven wrong at UNLV next year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 337

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I've been trying to find some of these old posts right before the season started where some people here were telling us we'd win 6-7 games and how those of us who were more around the 4 win prediction were being pessimistic and such. Bet some more people would now find some of those posts crazy talk now that we've seen this team play.

This is just like basketball season, after we nearly beat Kansas everyone got too excited and thought we'd make the big jump in the first year of a new coach only to be disappointed later. Although this time we didn't even really get off to a good start to back up all the preseason excitement. I'm guessing we'll probably have a similar thing happen again this year in basketball too. I'm being cautiously optimistic about the basketball season until we see this team play some decent competition. There is some talent there but I don't think it will be ready to compete at this level quite yet and we'll probably have a similar season to that of last year.

Ok, sorry to get off track a little there by changing the sport subject...

I PREDICTED 4 WINS AND I WAS WRONG.....AS USUAL

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 603
    Given: 389

I thought UNI and at Toledo were stretches, but for the home opener for Gene, I knew we would beat Kent State with passion and summer muscle building. I was wrong. Iowa had me convinced they were better than us in bravado, but I was wrong. Now I feel more comfortable with my guesses for conference play.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't remember what I predicted, or if I posted it. I kinda recall thinking 5 maybe 6. One of those deals where if everything fell into place we could be 8 or 9 wins, if not 3 or 4.

Went back and forth on whether a new coaching staff would help by being better coaches, improving the players, better plays, etc. Or would it hurt with new systems and schemes. Expected the O to improve, come out of it's 2006 slum. And of the D to be servicable.

So as it goes, I expected us to be 3-1 right now with a respectable shot at iowa. Probably thought L's to NU, Tex and OU. 50/50 or so against Tech and Mizzou (not knowing much about either) KU on the road I probably thought would be a W, and good shot at CU and KSU at home. As per usual, I struggle with figuring out who we'll beat that we shouldn't, same for who we'll lose to...

Right now, I think we'll see two more wins - tops. Honestly can see us finishing 0 for 8

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    So far it has gone just how I thought it would. I thought we had a chance before the season to beat UNI. After Kent State I knew we were in trouble.

All you people griping won't be griping the whole year. We will beat someone we are not expected to even come close to Beating. My feeling is Nebraska will steam role us. I know they are not that good but we are just not up to it yet. I think we shock the world and beat Texas. Just a hunch. Texas never really kills us. They will probably look past us. If we don't beat them I think we give them a hell of a game.

I think OU will beat us by 40 points. They beat everyone else by 40. Why not us.

I think we win 3 or 4. By the way. Next year we will probably win 2 or 3 before making progress the year after that. So as a State fan for 33 years. Take it from me. Have patience. If you don't you will get gray hairs early.

What did your crystal ball show for the Iowa Game...

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post

How do we win 3 or 4 this year and then only 2 or 3 next year? Next year's schedule is considerably easier on paper (which is really the only way to look at it right now). No Texas and Oklahoma, and the 3 hardest Big 12 games will be at home (Texas A&M, Nebraska, and Missouri). I suppose the OKSTATE game on the road will be tough.

Not to mention I think our nonconference schedule is easier next year vs. this year.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I don't remember what I predicted for the season, but I DO remember saying that all I wanted to see was improvement from week to week. I'm seeing that. (With the exception of the last 5 minutes), the team that was on the field Saturday night against Toledo has VASTLY improved from the team that walked on to JTS to play Kent State.

I saw all but one game (Colorado) last year, and the one thing that struck both myself and FG was that the product on the field looked exactly the same from week to week. A lot of the games actually started to blend together. At least this year there's some improvement, and I honestly think we'll win at least one conference game. It probably won't be UT or OU, but I do think we'll improve enough to pull one off somewhere.

One final thought. I don't care what the win/loss records say, this team is better than the one we had last year. I actually quipped on the car ride home that the Toledo game was a result of karma. Let's face it folks, we should have lost to Toledo, UNI, and UNLV last year. I personally feel that the results of the Toledo and UNI games are some sort of penance for what we stole last year.

I really hope my theory is proven wrong at UNLV next year.

I remember your prediction post. And I remember thinking how good of a post it was.

I agree with you, superfan. Good post.