Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 68

My analysis of our team

My weight by weight opinion
    125 - Finch - I feel good about Ryak, doesn't seem injury prone, think he will do well
    133 - Cash - Not sure he is ready for D1 yet; having said that not sure who is in the room. Hope Jones gets down there to give us more options.
    141 - Mayfield - Concussions seem to be tough to overcome. Goettl can backup with not much loss in quality. If Max can get weight control down, I think he can give us some surprises.
    149 - Weatherman - Not sure hoping weight control will get better, his strength wrestling should be better at 149 than 157. Cozart is a solid backup and if Trent struggles, wouldn't mine seeing what Joey could do.
    157 - Moreno - Never got a good feel for what he's capable of, but injuries are not a good way to start the season. May need Joey or Trent here parttime.
    165 - Sorenson - Will be tough, not anybody around to give him a break if he gets dinged up a little.
    174 - Spangler - injuries, Can he stay healthy? At least we found out that England can be a decent backup and not a big downturn in quality.
    184 - Beard - I'm excited!! He will keep getting better as season rolls along.
    197 - Gadsen - injuries, about the same as Spangler. I think Ward should be ready to backup Gadsen, Shafer will also help but weight disadvantage will hurt.
    Hwt - Gibson - I have high hopes for him, but 1st its grades and now public intox. Scares me because no backup and don't think we should burn Swope redshirt.

The brutal schedule and weight cuts makes me wonder if we can stay healthy come March. I have my tickets and room in St Louis, so I hope so.

The duals yesterday are frustrating, but since we didn't have Gadsen, Spangler, and Gibson (The meat of our lineup is 165 to Hwt), I not to concerned.
    Inconsistence and injuries at 141, 149, and 157 concerns me more.
    133 - I really thought Cash would battle better, but he had 2 quality guys to wrestle.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: My analysis of our team

Still 1-2 years from overcoming mess cael left, but potential is there to be decent team. Dominant no, decent yes. I want redshirts left on. Hate burning them. Let's build this right and give KJ time. He is showing he can recruit, in a couple years, with his guys, we will see if he can coach.

Wrestling is a way different beast of any other sport, like sparks here and there don't just happen, has to be recruited and coached.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 31

Sad to see that 133 looks to be a disaster again this year.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Would have been nice if Schlosser could have kept his nose clean...

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by crooksie_26 View Post
    Would have been nice if Schlosser could have kept his nose clean...
    It isn't like it wasn't unexpected. He couldn't do it in HS so why would anyone think he would do it in college? The Bo Schlosser recruitment is a total mystery to me. We shouldn't have touched the kid in the first place. Furthermore, I don't think as a true frosh he would have been much better as our other options. It isn't like he was a dominant HS wrester.

We'll be much better in a year or two. I don't see us in the top 3 but we'll at least be in the top 10 with a shot at top 5.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. If we would have the money tied up in a good clean nose kid, the scholarship money might be tied up. Now it frees up some more money for Boaz, Destin, Gabe, and John Meeks and hopefully Tyler Caldwell next year. I don't think Bo was going to be a huge improvement at 133 as a true freshman.

Recruit
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 8

I don't follow wrestling all that closely, but a coupla questions...

Why not Simonson at HWT? Wasn't he a better than average starter last year? I take it from your comments that Gibson was suspended. But rather than Simonson the coaches moved Christensen up from his listed weight of 184 lbs.

And how close is the competition between Goetll and Max? Goettl had by far the more impressive prep career, but of course that doesn't always translate.

Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post

Hwt - Gibson - I have high hopes for him, but 1st its grades and now public intox. Scares me because no backup and don't think we should burn Swope redshirt.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Hubba View Post
    I don't follow wrestling all that closely, but a coupla questions...

Why not Simonson at HWT? Wasn't he a better than average starter last year? I take it from your comments that Gibson was suspended. But rather than Simonson the coaches moved Christensen up from his listed weight of 184 lbs.

And how close is the competition between Goetll and Max? Goettl had by far the more impressive prep career, but of course that doesn't always translate.
    Simonson blew out his knee at nationals last year and had off-season surgery. He isn't expected back until 2nd semester, if at all. It was a severe injury. He's a gamer and not having him hurts. In spite of Gibson's alleged improvement, Simonson was our starter here.

I believe the wrestle off with Goetll and Mayfield was a 1 or 2 point match, with the margin of victory coming from a Mayfield td off a missed throw attempt by Goetll. I don't think that position is settled yet.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Simonson is hurt with knee. Had major knee surgury from injury at Nationals. Will be cleared to wrestle hopefully in December. Trevor Voelker is backup 197 and also dinged up. Quean Smith (a freshman Hwt recruit) was a core class short a getting accepted to Iowa State, should be here in December. Tyler Swope is also a true freshman hwt recruit, but didn't want to burn his redshirt for 1 weekend meet, that we thought we could win without him.

Recruit
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Simonson is hurt with knee. Had major knee surgury from injury at Nationals. Will be cleared to wrestle hopefully in December. Trevor Voelker is backup 197 and also dinged up. Quean Smith (a freshman Hwt recruit) was a core class short a getting accepted to Iowa State, should be here in December. Tyler Swope is also a true freshman hwt recruit, but didn't want to burn his redshirt for 1 weekend meet, that we thought we could win without him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

125 - Finch - I feel good about Ryak, doesn't seem injury prone, think he will do well
    133 - Cash - Not sure he is ready for D1 yet; having said that not sure who is in the room. Hope Jones gets down there to give us more options.
    141 - Mayfield - Concussions seem to be tough to overcome. Goettl can backup with not much loss in quality. If Max can get weight control down, I think he can give us some surprises.
    149 - Weatherman - Not sure hoping weight control will get better, his strength wrestling should be better at 149 than 157. Cozart is a solid backup and if Trent struggles, wouldn't mine seeing what Joey could do.
    157 - Moreno - Never got a good feel for what he's capable of, but injuries are not a good way to start the season. May need Joey or Trent here parttime.
    165 - Sorenson - Will be tough, not anybody around to give him a break if he gets dinged up a little.
    174 - Spangler - injuries, Can he stay healthy? At least we found out that England can be a decent backup and not a big downturn in quality.
    197 - Gadsen - injuries, about the same as Spangler. I think Ward should be ready to backup Gadsen, Shafer will also help but weight disadvantage will hurt.

The brutal schedule and weight cuts makes me wonder if we can stay healthy come March. I have my tickets and room in St Louis, so I hope so.

The duals yesterday are frustrating, but since we didn't have Gadsen, Spangler, and Gibson (The meat of our lineup is 165 to Hwt), I not to concerned.
    133 - I really thought Cash would battle better, but he had 2 quality guys to wrestle.

After watching the wrestle offs there were several positions I think are still up in the air. I agree with you on Mayfield and Geottl at 141 could go either way. That wrestle off was tight. Weatherman won in the last min of the match, real close.

At 174 I worry about Spangler staying healthy and wonder if Beard would be better there and have Shafer go 184. Or keep Beard at 184 and have Shafer at 197 (not sucking weight down), and have Gadsen go HWT. Shafer and Beards match was pretty good too.

KJ said that he wasn't sure exactly what was wrong with Ward or when he would be back in the video interview on Media day.

I don't know how I feel about letting Gibson slide on the public intox. What kind of message are we sending there? Yes we are in a tight spot but this feels like Long all over again. Whats up with these wrestlers who can't keep it together? I want to win as much as anyone else, maybe more but no penalty for this type of behavior is wrong. KJ has got to get control of this team. I would imagine there is a no drinking rule during the wrestling season, not to mention that some of these kids getting in trouble are under age.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 253

If Spangler's injury isn't getting better then I'd love to see Beard make it to 174 (if that is doable for him weight wise) and have Ward and Schafer split 197/184 until Gadsen gets back.

Jackson had said that Kyven would likely be a heavyweight by the time he is a senior anyways. If Gibson is going to continue to **** up then Schafer and Ward being at 184/197 or vice versa and Gadson making the jump this year might be in the best interest of the team.

So our upperweights would look like this:
    174: Beard
    184: Schafer/Ward
    197: Ward/Schafer
    HWT: Gadsen

Not an ideal lineup, but it would still be one of the better set of upperweights in the country.

It really does suck to see so many injuries, hopefully we can get back up to full strength soon.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Disagree on England not being a downturn in quality. Mikey did well to beat the #5 guy, but I think Spangler is a finalist at that weight if he stays healthy. My guess is England was able to do that well because he has been grinding with guys like Spangler and Caldwell, plus Reader. PLus he was destroyed by Army's unranked guy. I think Spangler sweeps the weekend if healthy.

Last edited by brett108; 11-07-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    If Spangler's injury isn't getting better then I'd love to see Beard make it to 174 (if that is doable for him weight wise) and have Ward and Schafer split 197/184 until Gadsen gets back.

Jackson had said that Kyven would likely be a heavyweight by the time he is a senior anyways. If Gibson is going to continue to **** up then Schafer and Ward being at 184/197 or vice versa and Gadson making the jump this year might be in the best interest of the team.

So our upperweights would look like this:
    174: Beard
    184: Schafer/Ward
    197: Ward/Schafer
    HWT: Gadsen

Not an ideal lineup, but it would still be one of the better set of upperweights in the country.

It really does suck to see so many injuries, hopefully we can get back up to full strength soon.
    Gadsen a heavy? Yeesh, I don't think I like the sound of that. That is over 75 pounds of difference between him now and the guys he would be wrestling.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingWatch View Post
    After watching the wrestle offs there were several positions I think are still up in the air. I agree with you on Mayfield and Geottl at 141 could go either way. That wrestle off was tight. Weatherman won in the last min of the match, real close.

At 174 I worry about Spangler staying healthy and wonder if Beard would be better there and have Shafer go 184. Or keep Beard at 184 and have Shafer at 197 (not sucking weight down), and have Gadsen go HWT. Shafer and Beards match was pretty good too.

KJ said that he wasn't sure exactly what was wrong with Ward or when he would be back in the video interview on Media day.

I don't know how I feel about letting Gibson slide on the public intox. What kind of message are we sending there? Yes we are in a tight spot but this feels like Long all over again. Whats up with these wrestlers who can't keep it together? I want to win as much as anyone else, maybe more but no penalty for this type of behavior is wrong. KJ has got to get control of this team. I would imagine there is a no drinking rule during the wrestling season, not to mention that some of these kids getting in trouble are under age.
    Long didn't just have one problem. I think he had a string of offenses. This is Gibsons first law run in. I believe last year was academics? Give a guy another shot. Public intox is a pretty weak offense.