Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 21,861, Level: 45
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    627
    Points
    21,861
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    ESPN, your bias is showing.

    It's this kinda small stuff that gets on my nerves. Way to over-hype the game just because its SEC. Also look at the other stories. Plenty of other blowouts and way better games to mention (like NW beating Nebraska) but ESPN just HAS to make Texas one of its top stories.



    Or try going to the official BCS website. All their headline stories on the top right are all right off of ESPN.com. I wonder if they work together


    in b4 tinfoil hat


    Last edited by cyclone22; 11-07-2011 at 06:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Recruit
    Points: 3,375, Level: 16
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysMyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    97
    Points
    3,375
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    I think the BCS standings were correct by placing Alabama at #3 in front of Stanford. If Stanford beats Oregon this Saturday, we should see them move past the Tide.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Water is wet and the sky is blue.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 21,861, Level: 45
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    627
    Points
    21,861
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    As long as there isn't a rematch, idgaf. Bama had their chance, they lost. Thats how the BCS works. If you can't even win your division or your conference, or score a single TD in a home game, you are not gonna play for a national title. ESPN is just trying to push their SEC bias.



  5. #5
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 644,164, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,480
    Points
    644,164
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,124
    Given: 389

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone22 View Post
    It's this kinda small stuff that gets on my nerves. Way to over-hype the game just because its SEC. Also look at the other stories. Plenty of other blowouts and way better games to mention (like NW beating Nebraska) but ESPN just HAS to make Texas one of its top stories.



    Or try going to the official BCS website. All their headline stories on the top right are all right off of ESPN.com. I wonder if they work together


    in b4 tinfoil hat

    The flaw in the argument is the fact that hyping the LSU vs Alabama game was actually counterproductive for ESPN. Which network has SEC broadcast rights? It ain't ESPN. Promoting it as the biggest game ever, actually probably took money out of their pockets by encouraging viewers to tune to CBS rather than watch ESPN's own primetime offering of Okie State and K-State.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I think ESPN has far too big of an influence in today's college football landscape. The rumors have persisted for a while now that they are a big force in encouraging all the recent realignment action, but I don't think this weekend was a good example of them throwing their weight around for their own benefit. And frankly, the idea of the network having a purposeful, unified bias toward the SEC, is doubtful, simply because it doesn't really benefit them.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 37,880, Level: 60
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,170
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,885
    Points
    37,880
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone22 View Post
    As long as there isn't a rematch, idgaf. Bama had their chance, they lost. Thats how the BCS works. If you can't even win your division or your conference, or score a single TD in a home game, you are not gonna play for a national title. ESPN is just trying to push their SEC bias.
    Unless you're 2001 Nebraska and you weasel your way into the Rose Bowl after being steamrolled by Colorado


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 221,728, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    18,447
    Points
    221,728
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,823
    Given: 2,499

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by CysMyBoy View Post
    I think the BCS standings were correct by placing Alabama at #3 in front of Stanford. If Stanford beats Oregon this Saturday, we should see them move past the Tide.
    I agree, but Boise State should be in front of Stanford this week too. Boise State's schedule has been tougher than Stanford'd so far, there's no reason for them to not be in front of them other than "BSU plays nobody" heard think.

    Next week if Stanford beats Oregon I don't have an issue with them being in front of Alabama and BSU.



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 5,086, Level: 21
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Annapolis
    Posts
    98
    Points
    5,086
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    The flaw in the argument is the fact that hyping the LSU vs Alabama game was actually counterproductive for ESPN. Which network has SEC broadcast rights? It ain't ESPN. Promoting it as the biggest game ever, actually probably took money out of their pockets by encouraging viewers to tune to CBS rather than watch ESPN's own primetime offering of Okie State and K-State.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I think ESPN has far too big of an influence in today's college football landscape. The rumors have persisted for a while now that they are a big force in encouraging all the recent realignment action, but I don't think this weekend was a good example of them throwing their weight around for their own benefit. And frankly, the idea of the network having a purposeful, unified bias toward the SEC, is doubtful, simply because it doesn't really benefit them.

    Except this game was the prime time game on ABC if i'm not mistaken.



  9. #9
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 644,164, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,480
    Points
    644,164
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,124
    Given: 389

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by weeb2k1 View Post
    Except this game was the prime time game on ABC if i'm not mistaken.

    ESPN = ABC.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 673,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    27,608
    Points
    673,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,121
    Given: 565

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    ESPN = ABC.
    And some areas of the country got the Notre Dame game on ABC and had Okie State on ESPN2.




    Eyes closed, head first, can't lose.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 62,347, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 903
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cy4prez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,783
    Points
    62,347
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 111

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone22 View Post
    It's this kinda small stuff that gets on my nerves. Way to over-hype the game just because its SEC. Also look at the other stories. Plenty of other blowouts and way better games to mention (like NW beating Nebraska) but ESPN just HAS to make Texas one of its top stories.
    I disagree, that was one of the the most exciting and intense games I've seen all year.


    KCCO



    Follow me on Twitter: @mjballman20

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 568,565, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Close Enough, IA
    Posts
    21,763
    Points
    568,565
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 678
    Given: 370

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by weeb2k1 View Post
    Except this game was the prime time game on ABC if i'm not mistaken.
    LSU-Bama game was on CBS:

    LSU Tigers vs. Alabama Crimson Tide - Box Score - November 05, 2011 - ESPN



    KSU-OSU was ABC/ESPN2:

    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313090197




  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 36,764, Level: 59
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    3,027
    Points
    36,764
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 6

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    No bias when the game was on CBS, not ESPN and it was between no doubt the two most talent teams in america. I dont care about the whole "they had their shot" stuff, i want to see a rematch.


    ALL IN

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 45,548, Level: 65
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,351
    Points
    45,548
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 519

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    I believe the OP is simply brining up the fact that Texas grabbed a headline under that photograph.

    A lot of that had to do with timing - obviously by the photo included the LSU-Bama game had not gone underway as the photo would have been updated to show a gametracker or a photo from the game action. Also, the fact that Michigan State-Minnesota also was mentioned tells me that this screen capture occurred after the results of that game, so we're talking about 2:30 in the afternoon and by that time only 4 games had either finished or were almost concluding that had a team in the Top 25 (MSU-Minn, Iowa-Mich, Texas-Tech, and Louisville-W VA). ESPN just picked two games that included teams ranked in the top 25, which happened to be Michigan State and Texas - this makes sense to me...



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 61,827, Level: 77
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,311
    Points
    61,827
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 11

    Re: ESPN, your bias is showing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    No bias when the game was on CBS, not ESPN and it was between no doubt the two most talent teams in america. I dont care about the whole "they had their shot" stuff, i want to see a rematch.
    As long as both teams win out and Okie State and Stanford lose, I want to see this game again also.

    It sucks for Boise State but that is what happens when you play in a non BCS conference.

    I still think they are the best two teams in the country and I want to see the two best teams play in the national championship.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM