Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,928, Level: 20
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    EvilBetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277
    Points
    4,928
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

    bought a car in one state to move to another

    i live in west virginia
    i just bought a car in deleware
    i am moving to tennessee in 10 days

    how exactly do i legally get myself to tennessee in this newly purchased car? thought this might be quicker than trying to sift through dmv sites of 3 different states.

    car is used, purchased from a private seller. i have the title and a bill of sale



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 17,780, Level: 40
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cdekovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,034
    Points
    17,780
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    In transit plates. Or contact the county in Tn where you are moving and ask them.


    Hit it hard, every yard

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 74,556, Level: 84
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Die4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,932
    Points
    74,556
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 402
    Given: 420

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    You should have 30 days to register a vehicle bought private party. I think a bill of sale and a window sticker that says "In Transit" should get you there without too much trouble. Be sure to have a current proof of insurance card from your old vehicle too. Don't be surprised if you get pulled over and checked a couple times on the way. BTDT.


    Faster than a stallion. Meaner than a hungry hound.

  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,928, Level: 20
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    EvilBetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277
    Points
    4,928
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    You should have 30 days to register a vehicle bought private party. I think a bill of sale and a window sticker that says "In Transit" should get you there without too much trouble. Be sure to have a current proof of insurance card from your old vehicle too. Don't be surprised if you get pulled over and checked a couple times on the way. BTDT.
    naturally, wv does not allow temporary tags so i have to get it registered here then get it reregistered 10 days later in tn. what a joke. dmv is one big uniform fail no matter what state you are in.



  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 1,775, Level: 11
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49
    Points
    1,775
    Level
    11
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 39

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    That sounds like some bad timing. Here is a couple tips.

    #1. Don't put a hand made In-Transit Sign in the rear window or license plate holder. Working as a police officer, handmade plates or "In Transit" signs raise an eyebrow for sovereign citizens, so I am more likely to pull them over than someone with no plates. Sovereign Citizens are fairly common in Tennessee and some Appalachia regions, so law enforcement there probably would look at it the same way (set off an intuition to make a traffic stop).

    #2. I think most officers would cut you a break. Show them a title from Delaware. Sign up with insurance with progressive, you can print out those temporary insurance cards immediately. Use your Tennessee address on the insurance card. Any other documentation that you are moving to TN. Like of job offer letter or something.

    #3. In Iowa, you can legally drive a vehicle for 30 days after a private sale before it needs registration plates. I can't imagine any state would have instant registration laws.

    Where are you moving to in Tennessee?



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 37,796, Level: 59
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    coolerifyoudid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    your kitchen. Beer's gone
    Posts
    2,194
    Points
    37,796
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,442
    Given: 1,343

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    Put an Iowa State decal in your back window. The people in WV will run you out of town and tell you not to come back.


    Hoiberg: I have a unique situation here. I grew up here. I went to college here. My family is close and my wife's family is close. I know everyone in the community and my family is very comfortable here. My daughter has dreamed about one thing and that's going to Iowa State. The NBA is great and I love the NBA, but I love Iowa State and the opportunity I have here. We've really built something special and I think we've got real momentum to keep it going even more.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 317,361, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    11,264
    Points
    317,361
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,870
    Given: 647

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid View Post
    Put an Iowa State decal in your back window. The people in WV will run you off the road then accuse you of being the instigator.

    Also true, judging by the game.



    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 38,976, Level: 60
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    247cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill, KS
    Posts
    1,127
    Points
    38,976
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 21

    Re: bought a car in one state to move to another

    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonClone View Post
    That sounds like some bad timing. Here is a couple tips.

    #1. Don't put a hand made In-Transit Sign in the rear window or license plate holder. Working as a police officer, handmade plates or "In Transit" signs raise an eyebrow for sovereign citizens, so I am more likely to pull them over than someone with no plates. Sovereign Citizens are fairly common in Tennessee and some Appalachia regions, so law enforcement there probably would look at it the same way (set off an intuition to make a traffic stop).

    #2. I think most officers would cut you a break. Show them a title from Delaware. Sign up with insurance with progressive, you can print out those temporary insurance cards immediately. Use your Tennessee address on the insurance card. Any other documentation that you are moving to TN. Like of job offer letter or something.

    #3. In Iowa, you can legally drive a vehicle for 30 days after a private sale before it needs registration plates. I can't imagine any state would have instant registration laws.

    Where are you moving to in Tennessee?
    A little place in Hazard County. Here's a picture of the car

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General_lee.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	31173  


    Last edited by 247cy; 01-12-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • Iowa State vs. TCU
  • January 31, 2015
  • 01:00 PM