Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

Good article on Gocyclones.com

Go Cyclones - ISU slowing Big 12 passing attacks
    I did not realize this was true, we have not allowed a 300 yard passer all year, that is an awesome statistic.... I know we have not played the 2most productive yet, but Doege, Griffin, and Tannihell are not too shabby......

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Good article on Gocyclones.com

Thats because teams have been running the ball down our throats so much that they haven't had to pass.

Doege I will give you though. I think we played lights out. I haven't seen the game yet but I will tonight.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    Go Cyclones - ISU slowing Big 12 passing attacks
    I did not realize this was true, we have not allowed a 300 yard passer all year, that is an awesome statistic.... I know we have not played the 2most productive yet, but Doege, Griffin, and Tannihell are not too shabby......
    We are #66 of 120 in pass defense. We are #108 of 120 in rushing defense. Why pass when you can run and eat the clock?

2011-12 NCAA FBS Team Passing Defense - USATODAY.com

This isn't a stat I'd brag about.

Granted, we did shut Doege down so that is a nice start.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 136

The Tech game was a fantastic job by the defense against the pass, but Missouri, Baylor and A$M could have had their way with us however they choose, they just choose to run

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    Thats because teams have been running the ball down our throats so much that they haven't had to pass.

Doege I will give you though. I think we played lights out. I haven't seen the game yet but I will tonight.
    I agree that Baylor and Texas dominated use with their running game, A&M on the other hand not as bad as it could have been, I personally thought we held both RB in check till late in the game.... Also have you watched Baylor play other then us this year, they are a balanced spread, which IMO, I thought we held the passing attack in check, too many mistakes across the board to stay in the game though.....

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Have any of you watched an Iowa State game this year?? Most of our flat verse the run is because our offense stopped producing, our D gets too run down with our quick play calling and too many 3 and outs.....

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

Have any of you watched an Iowa State game this year?? Most of our flat verse the run is because our offense stopped producing, our D gets too run down with our quick play calling and too many 3 and outs.....

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion the defense is still the strength of this team and I think they have actually performed fairly well most of the year, despite the statistics.

The offense has been so inconsistent, has had so many "3 & outs" and turnovers, the defense was forced to spend way too much time on the field, and is often put in very poor field position situations.

When the offense can run the ball, gets first downs, changes the field position battle & hangs on to the football, the defense does a great job of coming in fresh and getting back off the field quickly as we saw in the TT game.

If the offense can continue to do its job like they did against Tech, I have full confidence the defense will do its job well too.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

To me, every piece of the offense has been inconsistent outside of the running game and you can tell with a healthy QB that our running game is 100x better.... I think we need to get more carries per game, even early in the season when we mixed in the pass more our running backs were averaging close to 5 yards per carry, our passing game is unreliable, INT's, WR dropped passes.... So why not stick with the only reliable phase of our offense, rotate in White, duck and woody, give barrnet his carries as well, it is good to mix in the pass but why not keep running till they stop us.....

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

To me, every piece of the offense has been inconsistent outside of the running game and you can tell with a healthy QB that our running game is 100x better.... I think we need to get more carries per game, even early in the season when we mixed in the pass more our running backs were averaging close to 5 yards per carry, our passing game is unreliable, INT's, WR dropped passes.... So why not stick with the only reliable phase of our offense, rotate in White, duck and woody, give barrnet his carries as well, it is good to mix in the pass but why not keep running till they stop us.....
    This is a popular question. The short answer is this: because they will stop the run if that is all you do, and when they stop it, you will be in a position where you have to throw, often when you don't want to.

In other words, you can't "only do what works" because suddenly all your opponent has to do is focus on what works, thereby giving them much better odds at stopping it.

It is the same reason why corporations don't tell other corporations that they are looking at acquiring them until it is too late, or why countries don't declare war on another country then plan a sneak attack.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

One thing is for sure, the DBs and Safeties have done there fair share of dropping INTs this year. Or like Reeves, go for the INT but miss on it. It would not have made a difference in some of the games, but in others it might have. Of course the WR have dropped more than a couple passes too....